Sandman's history is identical to that of his Earth-616 counterpart up until Juggernaut was launched into space by Skaar. William Baker was near the site of a robbery being committed by Videoman. He decided to intervene after seeing Juggernaut fighting him. They defeat him, and form a partnership. They defeat several menacing threats. He continues to serve as an MI-13 agent, gathering intel on the side.
After Carter Ghazikhanian engages in battle with Juggernaut, he joins the group, and they set out to track down Phoenix (secretly, Juggernaut wishes to resurrect Squidboy). The group is then attacked by Vulture, who had been trailing Sandman the entire time, which Juggernaut had noticed, and was angry that a partnership between them had ended. Sandman insists he has reformed, so Vulture attempts to kidnap Carter, but is tackled by Juggernaut. This increases the bond between the three.
Sandman was present for the resurrection of Squidboy, and decided to remain with the group as long as it lasted.
Powers and Abilities
- Body Conversion- Sand: The Sandman possesses the superhuman ability to convert his body into sand by mental command. The sand functions identically to, and appears to be, normal flesh. However, he can convert all or parts of his body into animated sand at will. His brain has attained subliminal awareness of all granulated particles of his body. Through conscious effort, he can affect the degree of molecular cohesion between the numerous adjoining surfaces of his particles and thus cause locomotion of discrete volumes, down to the individual grains.
- Superhuman Strength: As a consequence of having a body composed of animated sand, the Sandman possesses phenomenal superhuman strength, able to lift up to 85 tons under optimal conditions.
- Density Control: His radically mutagenically altered body composition and increased density enable him to compact or loosen the particles of sand that make up his form. Consequently, the Sandman can become as hard as sandstone, or disperse his body so that he becomes invulnerable to physical attacks. A favorite tactic of the Sandman is making himself slightly dispersed when an opponent punches him, and then making himself rock-solid again, entrapping his opponent's appendage.
- Shape-shifting: He can shape his sand-state body into any continuous shape he can imagine, including his forearms into weapons like hammers, spiked maces, and large fists, stretching, elongating, deforming, expanding, flattening, or compressing all or portions of his body at will, like Mr. Fantastic, phase through small openings, etc.
- Sand Blasts: He can project his sand particles outward at high speeds and, when in the shape of a bulky object, with the impact of a large sandbag.
- Glass Generation: More recently, the Sandman learned some new tricks from the Wizard, including altering the formation of his sand particles and reshaping them into glass. This grants him the ability to reflect light and energy off of him.
The Sandman is vulnerable to heat: temperatures of 3,400 degrees Fahrenheit can cause his highly impure silicate composition to fuse into amorphous silicate (glass).
- Reformation: The Sandman maintains mental control of the particles of which his body is composed so that he can reform his scattered grains unless a substantial portion of his body mass has been isolated.
- Sand Conversion: Apparently, he can also convert common grains of sand around him into constituents of his body to replenish portions he might lose track of during battle. In this manner, he can increase his overall size and volume (to some as yet unknown limit), or that of his limbs.
There appears to be no limit to how long the Sandman can remain in his sand-state. If he were to be rendered unconscious while in his sand-state, he would remain in that state, although the relaxing of his control over his particles would cause him to become an amorphous pile of sand.
The Sandman's mind continues to function in astral form even when he has turned his head into sand and even when the particles of sand that composed his brain are widely scattered. The limit to how far the particles of his brain can be dispersed before he is unable to reassemble is not yet known.
- Intense Heat: If super-heated, Sandman will turn into amorphous silicate (glass).
- Water: If exposed to water, Sandman cannot control his grains and must wait for them to dry.
- "Queen Bee:" Sandman has one grain that controls all the others, known as the Queen Bee. If separated from the others, Marko cannot regain mass.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of William Baker (Earth-858)
- Character Gallery: William Baker (Earth-858)
- Quotations by William Baker (Earth-858)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References