Wade Wilson was a soldier and mercenary with enhanced far beyond human reflexes and agility due to him being a mutant. During the Vietnam War, Wade was a member a Black Ops group called Team X under the command of William Stryker. The team also included James "Logan" Howlett, Victor Creed, Christopher Bradley, Agent Zero, John Wraith, and Fred Dukes.
When Wilson refused to complete his assignment, allegedly the first time he had ever done so, he was relocated to the United States. In America, Wade met and fell in love with mutant teenage prostitute Vanessa Carlysle, with whom he shared dreams of a better life. Learning that he had contracted cancer, Wilson broke up with his girlfriend Vanessa rather than force her to remain with a terminally ill man. He even gave up his chemo treatments, not wishing to prolong things.
Back in Canada, he was offered hope in the form of Department K, a special weapons development branch of the Canadian government. Wilson became a test subject in Department K’s branch of the joint U.S./Canadian superhuman enhancement project, the Weapon X Program led by Stryker himself; his cancer was temporarily arrested via the implantation of a healing factor derived from another Department K agent, the mutant adventurer and former teammate Wolverine. He was given the name Deadpool.
After a battle against Logan and Creed (hired by Stryker to get mutants' DNA to experiment with) atop a cooling tower at Stryker's plant, Weapon XI was beheaded and seemingly defeated by Logan. However, he survived decapitation and Wilson formed a romantic relationship with the cosmic entity Death, who regarded him as a kindred spirit.
Powers and Abilities
Enhanced Physiology: Most of Deadpool's powers come from the experimentation's he was submitted to by the Weapon X program.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Deadpool possesses a superhuman healing factor derived from that of the mutant Wolverine that allows him to regenerate damaged or destroyed bodily tissue with far greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. Deadpool is able to heal from injuries such as slashes, puncture wounds, bullet wounds, beheading, and severe burns within moments. His healing factor is significantly more powerful than Wolverines as he can regrow missing limbs and organs and was able to recover after the Hulk liquidated everything from his waist up. His head or any other limb can be reattached using this ability, but has to be placed in the proper place. Even though being beheaded, Deadpool can still move his body normally. Additionally, Deadpool can secretly use his healing factor as a tactical advantage against enemies. As he puts it, his healing factor "isn't exactly common knowledge." As Deadpool had cancer at the time of the gene therapy which endowed him with these abilities, it bound to the "healing factor" so that in a sense the cancer is his healing factor, which is why his skin is still horribly scarred. Unlike Wolverine's natural healing factor, Deadpool's is mentally driven to a partial extent.
- Foreign Chemical Resistance: Deadpool's body is highly resistant to most drugs and toxins. He can, however, be affected by certain drugs, such as tranquilizers, if he is exposed to a large enough dosage.
- Disease Immunity: The unique regenerative qualities of Deadpool's healing factor also extend to his immune system, rendering him immune to the effects of all known diseases and infections.
- Immortality: Deadpool's healing factor provides him with an extended lifespan by slowing the effects of the aging process to an unknown degree. Deadpool has established a relationship with the personification of Death and as a result has been cursed by Thanos, to be unable to die.
- Telepathic Immunity: The healing factor causes his brain cells to be in a constant state of flux and regeneration, rendering him immune to psychics.
Possession Resistance: Similar to the telepathic immunity, Deadpool is able to remain in partial control of himself while supernatural beings are trying to take control of him.
Superhuman Strength: Deadpool is rated as having a superhuman level of strength capable of lifting 2 tons on the Marvel Strength Scale.
Superhuman Stamina: Deadpool's musculature generates considerably less fatigue toxins than the muscles of an ordinary human being, granting him superhuman levels of stamina in all physical activities. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for several days before boredom or stress takes over, and could have possibly gone on further.
Superhuman Agility: Deadpool's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are similarly enhanced, superior to those of even the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Speed: Deadpool has superhuman speed thanks to Weapon X, but he sometimes relies on his teleportation device.
- Master Martial Artist: Deadpool is an extraordinary hand-to-hand combatant and is a master in multiple unarmed combat techniques. He has been shown fighting such amazingly skilled fighters as Wolverine and even defeating him in hand to hand combat. This shows that Deadpool himself is among the most skilled fighters in the Marvel universe, although in some fights it has been attributed to him being unpredictable because of his insanity.
- Master Assassin: He is a master of assassination techniques, espionage methods, covert operations, infiltration methods, escape artistry, marksmanship, and is highly skilled with many bladed weapons (frequently carrying two adamantium katanas strapped to his back), and a number of other weapons including firearms.
- Skilled Linguist: He is fluent in Spanish, Japanese, German and Russian.
- Medium Awareness: Possibly as a result of his mental state, he is aware that he is a fictional comic book character.
- Unpredictability: It is difficult for anyone to know what Deadpool will do at any given moment, given that he himself barely knows what he'll do at any given moment. This makes it difficult for most opponents to predict what he will do.
Deadpool possesses great, though not unnatural, physical strength. He does possesses the strength of an Olympic level weightlifter. While the exact amount of weight he can lift isn't known, he is able to lift at least 420 lbs. His true upper limit is unknown, but due to his mutant heritage, it should be somewhere around 1400 lbs, and he would only have to stop there due to his forearms breaking under the weight. To date, Deadpool has lifted up to 800 lbs.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: Two twin adamantium katanas and a pistol.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Wade Wilson (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Wade Wilson (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Wade Wilson (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References