Thor was born in Asgard and was the younger sibling of Loki. Thor received Mjolnir from his father when he turned 160, as it was considered a coming of age for an Asgardian. Thor was eventually arrogant with Mjolnir, leading him and Loki to secretly go out in the night to fight Frost Giants. Odin eventually discovered Thor and Loki's double life and banished them as punishment due to the threat of war.
After a few months of living on Earth, the two brothers had bonded and learned a new value of life. Odin, seeing the boys had learned their lesson, allowed them back into Asgard and relieved them of their punishment. After being granted his powers back, Thor had fallen in love with a woman named Jane Foster and also saw the outlaws on Earth and wanted to make it a better place and so he left Asgard to protect Earth alongside its other heroes.
Battle with Loki
After a few months on Earth, Thor was contacted by Heimdall and told that Loki had assumed the throne of Asgard and is becoming a Tyrant and needed to be stopped. Thor and Heimdall travelled to Asgard and discovered it has been turned into a ice wasteland and was overrun by Frost Giants. Thor and Heimdall battled the Frost Giants and went to the throne room to discover Odin had been imprisoned, Thor asks why Loki would do this. Loki then explains of his Frost Giant heritage and proceeds to attack Thor. Thor and Loki battle while Heimdall releases Odin from his imprisonment. Thor defeated Loki, Loki swore revenge and teleported away. It took a few weeks to restore Asgard to its former glory but they got there in the end. Odin thanked Thor for helping him and admitted it was most likely time for Thor to be king, but Thor declined stating Midguard needed him more and left.
Battling The Hulk
One day while on patrol, Thor discovered a large green monster rampaging through Manhattan and went to stop it immediately. The two battled and eventually Iron Man arrived, the two still struggled to fight the monster now dubbed "Hulk" and eventually Captain America and two others arrived. The group combined their strengths and defeated the Hulk, the Hulk reverted to a human form and the group discovered it was the scientist known as Bruce Banner.
Formation of the Avengers
A few weeks later, Nick Fury calls the heroes in and suggests they should start a peace protecting superhero team called the Avengers, they accept.
Powers and Abilities
Odin, the Allfather of Asgard, said to Jord (Gaea the Earthmother of Midgard), "I seek an heir whose powers surpass Asgard."
Besides being the strongest man in creation, and durable enough to withstand a blast from Celestials, Thor also has energy manipulation powers that are on par with the Silver Surfer. He is also armed with Mjolnir, the mystical warhammer that has been shown to be capable of opening passageways through space and time, blocking all sorts of energy blasts, and bending the elements to its master’s will. Thor has been shown to be able to swing Mjolnir at twice the speed of light (and this was never claimed to the fastest that Thor could swing it either). Thor is an Asgardian warrior god, trained and skilled in the arts of battle, and he’s been doing it for countless ages. While Thor has usually been shown to rely solely on his fighting ability, super strength, and well nigh invulnerability, he has so many other options available to him if a fight starts going badly. He has complete mastery over the weather, he can open chasms in the earth, he can drain the life-force out of his opponent's body, and if worst comes to worst, use the dreaded God-blast, an attack that is so powerful that one time Mjolnir shattered from the amount of power Thor channeled. Thor has even broken through the armor of the Celestial Exitar in one blow; the force of it created a shock wave which rocked the planet Pangoria to its foundations, and was about to destroy it entirely if Thor hadn't acted. While on Earth, Thor greatly withholds his power unless fighting someone with similar strength and durability. When facing both the Avengers and the Fantastic Four the Hulk has even stated that Thor with Mjolnir is the only one among them that he considers a threat.
Asgardian/Elder God Hybrid Physiology: Biologically half-Asgardian on his father's side and half-Elder God on his mother's side; Thor possesses a number of superhuman attributes common among the Asgardian and other gods. However, due to his unique birth, some are considerably more developed than those of the vast majority of his race. Thor's skin, muscle, and bone tissues have several times the density of the same tissues in the body of a human being, contributing to his superhuman weight. He is invulnerable to powerful energy blasts, weighted impacts, falls from great heights, explosions and various other opposing forces. Even without his godly power Thor is still physically the strongest and most durable of all the Asgardians.
Life-Force: also known as the God-Force. The godly energies that fuel all of Thor's godlike powers. Thor's immortal life-force is more powerful than the mystical properties of Mjolnir. Thor's Life-force is so strong that the Destroyer using all of its powers could not destroy it. His Life-force allows him to be the most powerful being on the planet and one of the most powerful beings in the universe. Unlike many other deities, Thor's unique Life-force allows him to have full access to all of his powers regardless of what realm he enters. The only being so far that has been shown to affect Thor's God-force is Odin or Odin's raven in the form of Marnot. Thor's God-force is also the key to him using the God-blast.
- Superhuman Strength: In addition to being the God of Thunder, Thor is also the Asgardian God of Strength, as such he is physically the strongest of the Asgardian gods and one of the most powerful beings in the Universe. His strength has been called unlimited. His feats include easily lifting over a million tons without any effort, crumbling Uru into dust, equaling, overpowering and even defeating superhuman opponents as strong and powerful as the Silver Surfer, Namor, Juggernaut, Hercules, Hulk, the Red Hulk, the Sentry, and Gladiator in single combat, lifting the Midgard Serpent, who was large enough to coil around the Earth from head to tail multiple times over and crush it in its grip, overpowering cosmic entities when pressed in battle and physically destroying stars, planets, and moons with only his fists. Partly a feat of strength, Thor overcame the gravity of a Neutron Star, which can reach up to about three times the mass of the sun. Thor is also capable of entering into a state of Berserker Rage known as Warrior's Madness, which will temporarily increase his strength and stamina tenfold but will only do so in desperate situations because it threatens his sanity.
- Despite the fact that he always restrains his nigh-infinite strength in fights against mortals, he has proven capable of several acts of vast physical strength, including stalemating an enraged Hulk in battle for hours without tiring at all (despite the fact that the Hulk was constantly increasing in strength every moment) and knocking out a non-enraged Hulk, knocking out Namor with a single blow (despite Namor being fully hydrated and it was raining), defeating Bi-Beast (whose strength is said to equal the Hulk's), overpowering the Red Hulk, nearly rendering the Juggernaut unconscious (after negating his mystical defenses), and defeating both the Thing and an enraged Hulk at once in unarmed combat with only one arm, and one eye.
- Godlike Invulnerability: Being a god whose heritage is both half-Asgardian and half-Elder God affords Thor absolute invulnerability and immunity to such human ailments as diseases, toxins, poisons, corrosives, fire, electrocution, asphyxiation, lead, and radiation poisoning. Thor can drink mead all day long and not get drunk. He has withstood direct blows from beings with vast superhuman strength such as the Hulk, Hercules, Gladiator, Silver Surfer, Thanos, and the Red Hulk. Thor can survive in the heart of the Sun with no discomfort, has flown through the heart of stars, and survived point blank range energy explosions capable of destroying entire planets. He has survived a supernova blast of an exploding star unharmed, the gravity of a Neutron Star, and withstood the weight of a score of entire planets. Thor was able to survive direct multiple blasts from the Asgardian Destroyer (the weapon created by Odin and the gods from multiple pantheons to battle the Celestials). Thor also once took a glancing hit by a Doomsday Bomb that was capable of destroying an entire planet, and soon after that explosion he fell from space (leaving a crater miles wide) to a planet called Pangoria. He has withstood a blast from Odin (who is far more powerful than Thor), attacks from Celestials, and even withstood attacks from the leader of the Celestials. With his powers reduced in half, Thor was able to withstand a blow from the Skurge the Executioner's axe (a weapon that wields the energy of an exploding star). Thor is extremely difficult to kill as his life force is considerably augmented by his godlike heritage, powers, Mjolnir, and the Odin Force - even if it is only relegated within Mjolnir as a smaller portion at the moment. Thor can even survive absolute zero temperatures, and even though he was trapped inside, he showed no discomfort after being rescued by Hulk and immediately resumed battle.
- Superhuman Speed: Thor can move at extreme speeds. Thor can fly to the sun in a matter of minutes. Thor was even able to strike down a moving Quicksilver and has claimed to have fought foes faster than him. He can throw Mjolnir at the speed of light and also swing Mjolnir at twice the speed of light while his strength was reduced in half. It has been established that the speed of Thor's hammer transcends both time & space. In addition, Thor can appear anywhere across the Universe or other dimensions in just seconds. Thor could visually detect objects that move at fantastic speeds (this happened when Thor was the target of artillery fire and when he saw the speedy Hermes). Hela once stated that Thor is as fast as the lightning he commands. Thor can twirl his cape so fast that he creates a tornado.
- Superhuman Stamina: Thor's advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than that of a human and most other Asgardians. His muscles produce no fatigue toxins during physical activity compared to those of humans and most other members of his race. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to hold his breath for an undefined period of time and exert himself at peak capacity for months without tiring at all. Using the Belt of Strength also doubles his stamina. While in the state of Warrior's Madness, Thor's stamina also increased tenfold.
- Superhuman Senses: Thor's superhuman sense's allow him to see objects as far out as the edge of the Solar System, allow him to track objects traveling faster than light, and hear cries from the other side of the planet.
- Healing Factor: As stated previously, Thor is not invulnerable to all harm and it is possible to injure him. But due to Thor’s unique physiology he is able to heal from most injuries much faster than a human being could. This healing factor is said to be much stronger than that of the typical Asgardian God. Thor also has the ability to regenerate missing limbs through the use of Mjolnir or the Odin Force. With the use of Mjolnir Thor can also regenerate his clothes. Practically when he regenerates it with Mjolnir is like new.
- Longevity: It is a common misconception that Thor and the other Gods of Asgard are truly immortal. Thor and the other members of his race do age but at a rate so slow that to other beings they give the appearance of immortality. Thor has been stated to be thousands of years old which makes his life span incomparable to that of the human beings which he protects. When the Asgardians consume the Golden Apples that are cultivated by the goddess Idunn, they are able to maintain themselves in their physical prime. Due to its physiognomy hybrid of Elder God, Thor does not need to consume apples Iddun to keep your physical peak.
- Super Breath: Thor can use his breath to create hurricane force winds.
- Flight: Thor has the ability to fly without his hammer.
- Self Sustenance: He is capable of surviving in the vacuum of space unaided and does not need air, food, water, or sleep.
- Earth Control: After his resurrection, Thor has accepted his heritage as a child of the Elder Goddess Gaea and gained the ability to control the Earth. He has demonstrated this ability by being able to create continental-spanning chasms and earthquakes that are off the Richter Scale in the Earth itself. He can control landslides and avalanches.
- Transcend Dimensions: Because Thor is a god, his divinity and corporeal form can transcend dimensions and is not bound by the perceptible. When he was trapped in the Tesseract (a pocket universe prison) from the Collector, Thor determined the boundaries of the Tesseract and escaped.
- Energy Manipulation: Thor has stated that he relies on the power of Mjolnir too often. Mjolnir does afford powers and abilities that he would not normally have, but Mjolnir is a tool, and Thor has natural energy manipulation abilities without Mjolnir. During Ragnarok, Thor had seen his family and friends fall to Loki's army and he reached down into himself for strength he never realized before and projected an energy blast so powerful that he knocked out Durok the Demolisher, who was so powerful that Thor, even with Mjolnir, was barely able to hold his own against. He can always projects omni-directional blast.
- Lightning/Electrokinesis: Thor usually uses Mjolnir to channel his storm abilities but he is capable of discharging lightning bolts from his hands. He also summoned a lightning bolt from the sky without Mjolnir to strike Hogun to revive him from near death. He summoned a lightning bolt to strike Hercules to break his grip on him. Thor's skill in lightning manipulation is said to rival that of Zeus.
- Rain: Thor can summon rain without the use of Mjolnir. Thor called down rain to bless that land where Kurse fell during Ragnarok.
- Memory Alteration: Thor calls this the 'Gift of Forgetfulness'. He took away Jane Foster's memories of her being kidnapped by Loki and a reporter's experience in Asgard.
- All-Tongue: When Thor speaks with the All-Tongue anyone who hears him will hear him speak their native language in their hearts.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Thor Odinson (Earth-1315)
- Character Gallery: Thor Odinson (Earth-1315)
- Quotations by Thor Odinson (Earth-1315)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References