T'Challa was born as the crown prince of Wakanda, a highly scientifically advanced country in Africa. T'Challa was taught the properties of Vibranium when he was still a kid, and his lessons in royal duty began at age five. King T'Chaka like his father and other Panthers before him, concealed his country from the outside world. As a young adult,T'Challa traveled to America and Europe for school. He gained a Ph.D. in Physics from Oxford University.
Once he returned, T'Chaka was then killed by the adventurer Ulyssess Klaue in an attempt to seize the vibranium mound. With his people still in danger, T'Challa ran to aid other wakanda's warriors in defending their city. Klaue was disarmed by the mighty warrior Zuri and young prince T'Challa used Klaue's own sonic blaster to shatter his right arm, forcing Klaue and the rest of his men to retreat. In the wake of the attacks and his father's death, T'Challa vowed to track down and kill Klaue to avenge his father.
Warrior and King
Two years later, T'Challa earned the title and attributes of the Black Panther by defeating the various champions of the Wakandan tribes, including his uncle N'Jobu in a once-a-year ritual that allowed anyone of Wakandan royalty to become king/queen by defeating the current ruler in combat. Given the fact that the ruling Black Panther possessed enhanced and superhuman abilities from digesting the Wakandan Heart-shaped Herb, the chance of an average man defeating a Black Panther was slim. However in the end, T’Challa succeeded and his uncle happily stepped down, so his nephew could rule.
T'Challa then took a Heart-Shaped Herb to link himself to Bast, the Panther God. The herb also enhanced the new king, making him almost superhuman. A year later, the Black Panther had encounter several adversaries throughout inside and outside Wakanda, including those who challenged T'Challa for the throne from factions within his own country. For the next several years, T'Challa lived two lives; one as crime fighter and the other as a king. The many threats to his kingdom continued, causing him to be cautious of meta-humans. He decided to ally himself with The Avengers and Excalibur, which consisted of supermen as byproducts of the Super-Soldier Program and fight threats around the globe that could potentially threaten wakanda. Weeks later, S.H.I.E.L.D. decided Thor had become a dangerous liability who needed to be apprehended. The four combat-ready Excalibur super-soldiers - Black Panther alongside with Captain Britain, Captain Spain, Captain France and Captain Italy- accompanied the The Avengers to Norway to confront Thor. After a protracted melee, T'Challa and the European super-soldiers helped their allies fight off the powerful Thor long enough until he was suddenly stripped from his powers.
After the The ThunderGuard invaded America, T'Challa and the Excalibur super-soldiers performed a sneak attack to America and released the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and the X-Men. Teaming up with the freed superheroes, Black Panther than joined in the fight against the ThunderGuard. Eventually T'Challa hunted down an apprehended Ulysses Klaue and his men in the woods of Nigeria while attempting to infiltrate Wakanda. T'Challa then took Klaue into custody where CIA agent Everett Ross interrogates Klaue while T'Challa and Okoye listen in through a device T'Challa planted on Ross. Klaue reveals to Ross what he previously didn't know about Wakanda and all that it contains.
As Ross confronted T'Challa about the truth of his country, he was informed that an attack is being held at the moment, only for an explosion to hit near them in the interrogation room. When an armed gunman breached the wall of the interrogation room, T'Challa quickly helped apprehended few of the gunmen but T'Challa was then shot in the shoulder by Killmonger and proceeded to abduct Klaue.
While returning to wakanda via jet, T'Challa Notices a call, T'Challa walked over to a hologram of his best friend W'Kabi who asked if he brought Klaue, T'Challa told W'Kabi that Klaue was slipped through from their hands. Seeing W'Kabi disappointed, T'Challa was told that when his father took over as King for thirty years, he did nothing and having his friend would be different. Leaving T'Challa distraught on how close he apprehended Klaue as Klaue killed W'Kabi's parents during one of his raids on Wakanda. T'Challa was then informed that a siege is taken place in Wakanda.
Black Panther and his allies traveled to Wakanda as quickly as they could. Once they arrived, they were greeted by Erick Stevens nicknamed Killmonger, also the abandoned son of T'Chaka who announces his intention to claim the throne, and he challenges T'Challa to the death for Black Panther. Everyone gathers for the challenge by the falls once again. Killmonger fights brutally and easily overpowers T'Challa and intentionally killed his uncle N'Jobu when he tried to stop him from murdering T'Challa. Distraught over N'Jobu's untimely death, T'Challa lunged at Killmonger once more but missed. As Killmonger stood over, T'Challa was now unable to get up as he called out to those watching and claimed that T'Challa was unworthy of being Black Panther.
Once he finally gathered enough strength to try and fight back, T'Challa was picked up off his feet before throwing him off the side of Warrior Falls by Killmonger and landed into shore to the horror of Ramonda, Nakia and Shuri. Thus, Killmonger is made king. However, T'Chall barley survives the fall and was saved by M'Baku and his tribe. He requests M'Baku's help in fighting Killmonger, but he refuses.
All Hail the King
Killmonger now has help from W'Kabi and other Wakandan soldiers as he plans to seize control of the world using all of Wakanda's Vibranium/technology. His plans were halted however when the Black Panther returned, announcing to him that he's not dead. Killmonger and his army charge against T'Challa, but he blasts them away with his kinetic energy, activating an EMP bomb that T'Challa and Shuri implemented in his suit prior and rendered all of vibranium in the battle field inert; naturalizing all of vibranium weapons special powers and properties including T'Challa's panther suit and Killmonger's own suit; which can no longer redirect energy, neither are they invulnerable to attacks either. T'Challa runs through the field taking our Killmonger's soldiers one after another but not killing them necessarily since they're still his countrymen however. Okoye then leads the Dora Milaje into battle.
Nakia joins Shuri and Okoye as they fight Killmonger, Suddenly, M'Baku and his tribe arrive to help the Dora Milaje. Before Killmonger can hurt Shuri, T'Challa tackles him and the two brothers brawl out. They're fight was as they're fight is being witnessed by the entire nation of Wakanda. Eventually, T'Challa impaled Killmonger with his own short spear. Defeating him and reclaiming his throne. However, several of the noble people of Wakanda believes that N'Jadaka could be the true bridge between the outer world and Wakanda, helping as his means of having the rest of the world and Wakanda protect each other as one tribe unified, subsequently inspiring T'Challa to introduce Wakanda globally without committing violence towards other nations, making it their recent mission to use their wealth to the betterment of downtrodden nations all over the globe.
Powers and Abilities
- Divine Empowerment: T'Challa was originally enhanced by the Heart-Shaped Herb which granted him to have Super Soldier powers.
- Black Panther Knowledge: T'Challa has the power to draw all the knowledge, strength, and every experience from every previous Black Panther.
- Enhanced Strength: T'Challa's strength is enhanced to the peak of human potential. He received a blessing from the Panther Goddess Bast, which elevated his strength between peak human and superhuman levels. His legs extends with his strength enabling him to vertically leap approximately 10 feet off the ground and 15 feet in a standing broad jump. He has been seen to easily lifting a grown man with one arm and throwing him.
- Enhanced Speed: T'Challa can run and move at speeds beyond the peak of human potential, moving and running into the early levels of superhuman condition. He is able to catch up to and outrun speeding vehicle. However, when pushed to his limit, T'Challa can potentially run up to 41-45 mph. He also has the ability to attack faster than the eye can follow. His combat speed seems more enhanced then anything else, as he has frequently kept up with other enemies in combat, and blitzed people before they pull their trigger fingers.
- Enhanced Stamina: T'Challa's musculature produces fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human and his body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in his muscles. This allows him to exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before tiring or slowing down, granting him exceptional endurance and lung capacity greater than normal humans.
- Enhanced Agility: T'Challa's agility is outstanding, far greater than Olympic athletes. He can coordinate his body with perfect balance, equilibrium, flexibility, and dexterity. His movements are akin to an actual panther, being capable of crawl and climb through walls and leap great distances with accuracy. While pursuing Ulysses Klaue, T'Challa was able to leap high into the air to reach Klaue after the latter had gone up a staircase.
- Enhanced Durability: T'Challa's skin, bone, and muscle tissues are augmented to levels that are considerably stronger and harder than human and the tissues are impervious to injury to an extraordinary extent. T'Challa can withstand blows from superhuman opponents like Thor or Killmonger.
- Superhuman Healing: T'Challa's is able to regenerate injured tissue and brain cells to an extraordinary degree, heal broken bones, torn muscles, but is unable to regenerate missing limbs or organs. Is immune to all Earthly diseases, infections and disorders, he's impervious to gas attacks, poisons, and nerve-toxins of any kind and completely resistant
- Superhuman Reflexes: T'Challa's reaction time is superior to that of any Olympic athlete that has ever competed. Allowing him to effectively process the world at an accelerated rate to more efficiently find solutions using his sense and strategies. His reflexes are so efficient that he can dodge and deflect point blank gun fire, dodge bullets from machine guns and sniper rifles. He was also fast enough to evade a blast from Ulysses Klaue's Prosthetic Arm. Captain America once stated that he's faster than the creature he was named after.
- Superhuman Acute Senses: T'Challa can hear, smell, taste, touch, and smell better then ordinary humans.
- Genius-Level Intellect: T'Challa has a very high intellectual mind that is on par with some of the greatest scientific pioneers in human history, as seen by him being smart enough to hand-craft his own Panther Habit using his country's greatest resource with his own two hands. He possesses accomplishments such as a PhD in physics from Oxford University. He also combined alchemy with science to create a new scientific field called Shadow Physics, a dangerous discipline which allowed him to track Vibranium on a quantum level, craft weapons which would be particularly effective against Vibranium.
- Master Tactician: T'Challa is a master in strategy and tactics. When battling Killmonger, he was able to use his knowledge of Shadow Physics to get the edge on his opponent in their rematch back activating an EMP that neutralizes Killmonger's vibranium in his suit, ultimately defeating him and impressing the latter.
- Master Martial Artist: He has been groomed to be a warrior from birth. An expert in practically all forms of armed and unarmed combat, and a master of all martial arts including African and unknown forms. He is a master of stealth, disguise etc. He is considered to be one of the best martial artists to have ever walked the Earth.
- Skilled Swordsman: T'Challa is a formidably skilled swordsman and is able to use Wakandan swords with great skill. He was able to up against Killmonger in their duel and initially had the upper hand, only losing due to his desire to show mercy towards his brother.
- Weapons Master: The Panther has mastered all known weapons.
- Master Acrobat: T'Challa is a rigorously trained gymnast and acrobat.
- Expert Marksman: He is a master marksman adept with hunting knives, firearms, and other projectile weaponry.
- Expert Tracker & Hunter: Even without his superhuman senses, he is a master tracker and hunter. He can pick up a prey's scent and memorize tens of thousands of individual ones.
Multilingual: T'Challa can fluently speak his native language, English, and other various languages, including Japanese.
Master Inventor: He can invent various devices with special properties when needed. While not all of his inventions are as good as others made by Tony Stark and so on, he possesses engineering abilities and intellect that makes him a peer and has proven to be able to invent and create weaponry that rivals their engineering capabilities. T'Challa can also duplicate practically any other technologies after learning how they work or by glancing at the designs.
- Highly Influential Connections: As king of Wakanda, the Panther has access to a vast collection of magical artifacts, technological and military hardware, as well as the support of his nation's wide array of scientists, adventurers, and other superheroes.
- Diplomatic Immunity: As the leader of a sovereign nation, He often visits the United States or the United Nations for political reasons. He enjoys diplomatic immunity during these trips, and his embassy is considered foreign soil.
T'Challa strength is enhanced to the peak of human potential. He is strong enough to lift approximately 800 lbs.
In spite of his enhancements, T'Challa is still an ordinary human being. He is susceptible to some of the same vulnerabilities other normal humans are. Due to his heightened senses, bright lights, loud noises, & strong smells can potentially overwhelm him.
- Black Panther Suit/Panther habit: T'Challa's vibranium- weave uniform absorbs the kinetic force of impacts, rendering him bulletproof. It can negate and/or lessen powerful kinetic based attacks such as bullets shots, penetrating blades, and crushing blows. His suit's gloves can generate energy daggers, or form a staff and house anti-metal claws that dissolve other metals on contact. His boot soles are thick Vibranium alloy pads which can vibrate at various frequencies, allowing him to run up the sides of buildings, land soundlessly and without injury.
- Jet: T'Challa utilizes a technologically-advanced personal jet, similar to the Avengers' Quinjet, when he needs to travel the world quickly.
- Cloaking Technology: The cloak can be elongated, shortened or eliminated with a thought, and the entire costume can be covered allowing it to pass as normal street clothes or render T'Challa completely invisible.
- Force Push: T'Challa can use the stored kinetic energy in his suit to either enhance his strikes or release it as an omnidirectional energy burst.
- Sky-Cycle: T'Challa has access to an advanced version of the Sky-Cycle.
- Advanced Wakandan aircraft.
Weapons: swords, spears, shields, knives, clubs, bows, quivers and arrows. A large variety of firearms and other weapons used for close range, as well as technological weapons and devices
- Vibranium claws and knives
This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of Marvel Ultiverse and is an adaptation of T'Challa/Black Panther. The original character was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and first appeared in Fantastic Four #52
- Appearances of T'Challa (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: T'Challa (Earth-981)
- Quotations by T'Challa (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References