Powers and Abilities
- Fire Manipulation: Pyro is a mutant with the psionic ability to cause any fire, however small, to grow in size and intensity and to take any form that he desires (long streams, spheres, complex shapes like letters in skywriting), even that of a living creature. The temperature of these fiery projections is generally around 2,800 F (near the melting point of iron). He could then psionically cause that creature of "living flame" to do anything he wished. For example, if he caused fire to take the form of a gigantic bird of prey, he could mentally direct the "bird," to fly and attack a victim. Pyro's fiery creations can have greater "solidity" than an ordinary fire of the same size. A gigantic fire-bird, for example could grasp a large, heavy object with its talons and carry it off into the air, although, of course, the heat of the fire would affect the object just as a normal fire would. The size, power, and intensity of the fire-beings Pyro creates are limited only by the extent of his imagination and the degree of his concentration. The degree of concentration required is directly proportional to the size, power, and heat intensity of the flame-being. Pyro has to be able to see a flame in order to take control of it; In practical terms, the flame has to be within 100-yard radius of him. (Pyro couldn't affect flames that were not within his vicinity but which he saw via television.) Once having established control over a fire, he can continue to control it after it has left his range of sight, but only with a degree of difficulty that increases as the distance between himself and the flame-being increases. Pyro can, for example, create a fiery "bird" and command it to fly beyond the range of his sight, but if it then collides with a wall or if his concentration is in the least diminished, the "bird" will revert to being ordinary fire. Any of Pyro's fiery creations will immediately turn to ordinary, amorphous fire if he turns his interest from them. Originally, Pyro couldn't create fire himself, although he could cause an already existing fire to grow tremendously. For this reason he wore a flame-thrower on his costume so that he could use it to start a fire which he could then manipulate.
- Thermokinesis: Pyro has the ability to mentally control the ambient heat energy within his immediate environment. He can reduce objects' temperatures (if they are in a normal range for existing on Earth's surface) to about 30 F, raise them to several hundred degrees, or extinguish open flames. His radius of influence is about 80 feet. The heat energy he takes from the environment is absorbed into his own body. If he takes in a critical amount while he is not aflame, he will become aflame. There are unknown limits to the amount of flame he can absorb into his own body harmlessly while he is himself aflame.
- Fire Invulnerability: Pyro is invulnerable to any fire that he has placed under his psionic control. However, he can be harmed (just as any ordinary human would be) by any fire that he does not mentally control.
- Plasma Form: Pyro after years of training, Pyro possesses the physical ability to envelop his entire body or portions of his body with fiery plasma without harm to himself. (Plasma is a super-heated stated of matter such as exists in the atmosphere of stars.) Ordinarily, when aflame, Pyro is enveloped by a low intensity flame of low level plasma (reddish, approximately 780 Fahrenheit), which ranges from 1 to 5 inches from his body. He can, however, generate much higher levels and flames about himself. The energy used to support his low-level plasma is small; only when Pyro wills his flame to a higher level does the majority of surplus energy with the AR-HP complex become involved. In its plasma state, Pyro's body is no longer solid; projectiles that are not melted pass harmlessly through his body.
- Nova Flame: Pyro refers to his highest, hottest levels of plasma that he can create as his "nova flame." The exact temperatures that his "nova flame" can attain are not known. At an average rate of expenditure of energy, the Pyro can stay aflame for about 16.8 hours. He cannot maintain his "nova flame" for as long a time as he can maintain his ordinary flame. Pyro can release all of his body's stored energy in one intense, omni-directional "nova-burst," which can reach about 1,000,000 F, and which is similar to the heat-pulse of a nuclear warhead detonation, with an area of total devastation of about 900 feet in diameter and the power of a super nova. This violent discharge uses his entire reserve of energy (except for the necessary to keep him alive) at once, entirely exhausting his flame power. He generally requires at least 12 hours to recover entirely from such a feat.
- Flight: Pyro's plasma has a high hydrogen content, and is surrounded by an exuded cloud of mono-atmoic hydrogen atoms. The hot cloud provides sufficient positive buoyancy for him to float. With mental stimulation of his flame, he can provide enough lift to carry around 180 pounds. By forming a jet from his feet, directed behind him, he can achieve a normal flight speed of 140 miles per hour, and accelerate up to supersonic speeds.
- Immunity to Fire & Heat: While in Plasma Form, Pyro is unaffected by heat and flames.
Pyro was an accomplished journalist and novelist.
Normal human male with moderate regular exercise.
- Original Inability to Produce Flame: Pyro, although able to control any fire within his vicinity, was unable to generate and project fire himself, without the means of flamethrowers.
- Flame Vulnerability: He can be harmed by any fire that he does not mentally control, while in human form.
- Line of Sight: Pyro has to be able to see a flame in order to take control of it; in practical terms the flame had to be within a 100-yard radius of him. Pyro couldn't affect flames that he saw on television but which were not within this radius. Any of Pyro's fiery creations would immediately revert to ordinary flame if he turns his interest from it.
- Energy Depletion: At an average rate of expenditure of energy, Pyro can maintain his plasma state for about 16.8 hours before he is forced to revert to his solid state.
- Physical Condition: Pyro's physical condition (health, injury or exhaustion) also limits his flame's duration.
- Fire Extinguishing: Pyro's flames are supported by the presence of oxygen, and thus is extinguished in low air pressure or a vacuum. Pyro's flames can also be extinguished by smothering materials, such as water, sand, fire-fighting foam, and heat-resistant blankets, unless his flames are at such an intensity that it immediately vaporizes such materials on contact. If hit with small amounts of water, up to about five gallons, Pyro can turn it to steam with relatively little effort. More water than that could extinguish his flames at their normal level, and he would have to wait until he could evaporate the residual moisture before re-ignition.
- Low Light: Pyro's light output is mostly in the infrared region of the spectrum, and is invisible to the unaided eye. Less that 10% of his total power output is in the visible portion of the spectrum. Thus, Pyro's flames and himslef when aflame, are dimmer than one would expect of so powerful an energy source.
Equipment: Pyro also wore a specially insulated costume that afforded him a certain degree of protection against fires he did not control.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: Pyro wore a kerosene-based flame-thrower on his back that could generate a stream of flame of up to 25 feet away.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of St. John Allerdyce (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: St. John Allerdyce (Earth-515)
- Quotations by St. John Allerdyce (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References