War against the Masters of Evil
Reed Richard's life reflected that of his Earth- 981 counterpart up to the point of divergence where The Avengers went to war with the Red Skull and his Masters of Evil. Most of the heroes were killed due to this war, including Johnny Storm; The Human Torch and Hank Pym; The Ant Man. After the war, The Avengers began a program of "protecting humanity from itself", taking over Earth and that everyday order was kept by robotic replicas of Ultron.
According to Bruce Banner; when Reed Richards proposed an idea to advance human civilization, The Avengers rejected him, which led to a debate, which then led to him breaking the law, and finally Reed's imprisonment. However, when one Ultron developed self-awareness and grew disgusted with the human race, it decided to take over. As such it killed the Avengers and the nearly all of the rest of Earth's meta-humans and superheroes, including Reed's wife pregnant wife Susan Storm. The Ultron then dominated over the whole Earth and annihilated almost the entirety of the human race. Angred and possibly driven insane, Reed took on the identity of Kang and gathered an army of surviving heroes to stop the robots attempt at conquest, including Bruce Banner (now known as Maestro), and the youthful Next Avengers.
Kang attempted and failed to stop Ultron over 20 times, bringing more and more allies from across all possible timelines to try and stop his foe. This almost caused the time stream to break, which would have threatened to destroy all existence. Becoming aware of this, Reed, posing as Kang traveled back to an alternate past before the Avengers went to war with Red Skull via using his trans-dimensional time chair. He allied himself with his Younger Self to find a means to reverse the damage done to his timeline. His younger self helped him build weapons for him to defeat the Avengers but later refused to give them to Kang after a change of thought.
He then attacked Reed and The Thing and attempted to escape with the weapons. The Storm siblings tried to stop him from leaving, but proved no match. Reed, was the next to challenge Kang and managed to hold his own, taking advantage of Kang's unwillingness to harm him. However during the fight an alert went off on Kang's armor, the time jump had recharged. Kang activated it and escaped with the weapons. Few days later, Kang had broken into a S.H.I.E.L.D. base and stole two infinity gems; Power Gem and the Space Gem from they're containment and mind controlled The Hulk and X-Men's Xorn to help him on his crusade.
He eventually battled the Avengers back at the Baxter Building. However the Avengers simply weren't able to turn the odds in their favor since Kang was able to outsmart them every time and were swiftly defeated. Susan Storm attempted to subdue Kang, but he was able to neutralize her and subjected her to extreme pain.
The defeated Captain America asked why Kang was doing all of this, to which Kang answered it would be easier if he showed them. Kang took off his mask to reveal himself as an older Reed Richards, shocking the Avengers and the Fantastic Four. After briefly telling them his story, the Human Torch missed Kang with a projectile attack that ended up destabilizing the Null Void portal, causing it to suck in objects with a strong vacuum effect. The Avengers along with and Ben and Reed was pulled in. Thinking that he'd finally destroyed the Avengers, Kang went along with his dream of perfecting humanity and protecting the timeline.
Kang then gathered together individuals and founded a group called Children Of Tomorrow, whose aim was to perfect the world and replace humanity as the new race. Their base was built in Northern Germany and called the Dome. The Dome's interior time passed at an accelerated rate compared to the outside world. Over 900 years passed inside the Dome, so their inhabitants evolved to perfect super-humans thanks to the Power Gem that Kang experimented them all with.
However, The Children proved to be formidable opponents, who defeated the heroes. Thor however teleported inside the Dome in search of vengeance after believing that Kang killed the Avengers. Thor rescued Captain Britain and faced Kang. After being defeated by the Children, it was revealed to Thor that the Kang was Reed Richards. Reed left Thor alive and allowed him to escape along with Captain Britain to deliver the message about Richards' newest plans. After S.H.I.E.L.D. freed Zorn and the Hulk from Kang's mind control, they attacked the Children defeated most of them.
When Captain America, Black Widow, Ant Man, Wasp, The Thing, and Mister Fantastic suddenly returned from the Null Void dimensional portal, they revealed too SHIELD and the rest of the heroes that they went to Kang's timeline and stopped Ultron's war. When Kang was finally confronted and out-numbered by the Avengers and their allies, an immense flux of energy was felt and echoed through time and space, erasing Kang from existence with his armor warning him his timeline was altered. Kang warned that Avenger's "betrayal" was only just the beginning and the worst was yet to come before being completely erased from the time stream.
Powers and Abilities
- Skilled Combatant: Kang is a master of both armed and unarmed combat. He has managed to go toe-to-toe with Captain America and defeated most of the Avengers with ease and has been able to knock Hulk out with only one punch.
- Advanced technology and resources: Kang theoretically has access to technology from any century, and presumably from alien worlds as well. Hence, in combination with the multiple resources available to him, Kang showed to have in his possession rare artifacts such as such as the Forever Crystal, which is capable to erase whole realities from existence, he would only use the crystal as his last resort however if his plans failed.
- Indomitable Will: This version of Reed Richards is fearless and would stop at nothing to accomplish his own goals.
Reed Richards possesses the normal human strength and build of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise, but thanks to his malleable body, he can mold himself into stronger, more attack-based forms. His battle armor however increases his strength, enabling him to lift 5 tons.
- Extreme Temperatures: If Reed is exposed to extreme cold, he will be unable to move or use his powers, if he is exposed to extreme heat, such as lightning, he will enter a pseudo-melted state, where he is limp and his body will stretch outside of his control.
- Battle Armor: Reed equipped himself a battle armor produced from a rare synthetic alloy from the 40th century. It is neuro-kinetic, meaning it responds to his subconscious thoughts. Even though Reed already has powers of his own, his armor endows him with rough equivalents of super-human abilities including:
- Enhanced Strength
- Anti-Gravity Device
- Video Communicator
- Time Travel: Kang's armor can create temporal divergences, giving him the ability to travel through and manipulate time.
- Concussive Bolts: Kang can fire concussive blasts from the finger tips of his gauntlets; these blasts have the force of several tons of dynamite.
- Weaponry: By cracking his fingers, Kang can summon any number of weapons which are transported to him through time-stream instantly.
- Electric Shock: By flexing his muscles, Kang can activate a powerful electric shock.
- Universal Translator:Kang has a Universal Translator that can decipher and interpret languages, both alien and terrestrial, into the native language of the user.
- Kang's Time Sphere: A sphere that can transport people trough space and time.
- Kang's Time Sphere: A sphere that can transport people trough space and time.
Weapons: Various advanced weaponry throughout space and time.
- In the canon comics, it's usually Nathaniel Richards who takes up the mantle as Kang, not Reed Richards.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Reed Richards (Earth-61019)
- Character Gallery: Reed Richards (Earth-61019)
- Quotations by Reed Richards (Earth-61019)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References