- All my life I've been powerless, now that I have these abilities, now that we all do. It'd be morally wrong as human beings not to do anything with them
- -- Reed Richards
- -- Reed Richards
Reed Richards was born in San Francisco the only son of wealthy physicist Nathaniel Richards and his wife Evelyn, was a child prodigy with special aptitude in mathematics, physics, and mechanics and best friend to Ben Grimm. His intelligence would lead Reed to graduate from a state of the art college mega cum laude at the age of fifteen.
Approached by the Army
At the age of twenty-two, Reed was approached by the army to replicate Abraham Erskine's Super Soldier formula, the serum that created Captain America who his grandfather, Major John Richards served with in World War II. After agreeing to take on the project, he was introduced to Sue Storm and Victor Von Doome, the scientists who would be helping him in the project. After first year, the two developed feelings for each other and began dating, after three years Reed proposed and the two got engaged.
In 2012, approaching a dead end, Richards came up with the idea that dark matter and extra-dimensional energies can be the key to unlocking the secrets to the Super Soldier Serum, the army granted Richards and Storm the funds to build a state of the art ship to look for wormholes near the moon's atmosphere, Richards called in his childhood friend and state of the art engineer Ben Grimm while Sue called her younger brother Johnny to help build the ship. After it was built, the five went to investigate the wormhole but were sucked inside of it being basked in the dark matter and extra-dimensional energies.
Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny crash landed back to Earth in the desert of New Mexico, although Victor was not with them. Reed was elongated and stretched out across the ground, Sue was nowhere to be seen until she reappeared out of thin air, Johnny was unconscious and on fire, and Ben covered in rock, they were later discovered by the U.S. Army and taken to a military base. The four awoke and discovered their powers and were later told that they had been gone a year and their project in recreating the Super Soldier Serum was put on ice.
Becoming the Fantastic Four
The army made Reed and the others stay at the military base where they can run tests on their newfound powers, in the meantime Reed created suits for the four that could contain their powers while also discovering the dark matter and extra-dimensional energies they were bathed in had granted them their powers. Ben still feeling angry over feeling like a monster, Reed promised him he'd find a cure.
In the months of Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben testing the limits and learning how to control their powers; an ex-Military supervisor code named Mole Man had created an army called the Mole Men and began his attempt in taking over Manhattan with his new army. Seeing as the military had attempted to fight off his army and failed, the four volunteered to use their powers to fight off the Mole Men. In their very public battle and almost wiping Manhattan off the map, they succeeded in defeating Mole Man and his army. A few weeks after their battle the Daily Bugle and other news outlets dubbed them as the Fantastic Four.
A year had passed since the Mole Man Invasion and more superheroes and the Fantastic Four established themselves as a full-fledged superhero group and moved into the Baxter Building, Reed would later go on to create H.E.R.B.I.E a robot that would help the four in the Baxter Building. The Fantastic Four would go on to become celebrities and were considered the "Beatles of Superheroes". The Fantastic Four would go on to go on many missions, many on Earth and many in space.
One day, an army of drones were sent to attack the Four, the Human Torch would scorch them all with his super nova blast. Later on Reed would examine one of the destroyed drones and recognize that the markings, materials and design was from Victor Von Doome, which would lead Reed to question if Victor survived the wormhole accident. Reed would later hack into the drone and find out that it came from Latveria, the Fantastic Four would then take Reed and Johnny's newly designed Fantasti-Car and fly over to Latveria to see if Victor was indeed alive.
The Fantastic Four arrive in Latveria at Victor's ancestral castle. They discovered Victor sitting on his throne although he looked different; his skin was covered in metal signifying that the wormhole accident. Reed and Sue were relieved to see he was alive, Victor explained that he only just came back to Earth and his metallic skin saved him from burning up on re-entry to Earth's atmosphere. Ben then asks why he tried to kill them to which Victor replies with "I've always hated you Reed, and now with the power I have I can kill you. Oh, and my name is DOOM!" he then emits a mass of electrical energy and hurls it toward Reed, it hits him and knocks him out cold. Ben immediately begins attacking Doom, Ben is shocked by Doom's advanced strength and notices that his metallic skin has increased his strength, Sue attends to Reed and orders Johnny to go and help Ben.
Johnny goes to find Ben and Doom fighting outside, seeing Johnny as the wildcard, Doom immediately destroys a fire hydrants and blasts it toward Johnny infused with his electricity. It cools Johnny's fire out while electrocuting him causing Johnny to also go unconscious. Sue manages to wake Reed up and the two go outside to help Ben and Johnny only to see that Johnny's also unconscious, Sue then also attends to Johnny while Reed attacks Doom, Reed dodges an incoming attack from Doom and wraps himself around him restraining him. Ben uses this as an opportunity and punches Doom square in the face and sends him miles. Johnny then wakes up and tells the team he can't flame on due to him still being wet.
Doom comes back and is ready to kill the Fantastic Four, Sue tired of all the fighting creates an air bubble around his head and knocks him unconscious. The Fantastic Four bring Doom back to the Baxter Building and imprison him there, Reed feels guilty over what happened to him and decides to find a cure for Victor and Ben.
On a quiet day, with no threats and no adventures. The members of the Fantastic Four would have a relaxing day, Reed and Sue would have dinner at the Baxter Building while Johnny and Ben would watch the Super Bowl until an alert on Reed's device would inform them of an alien threat. The Fantastic Four take the Fantasticar and find a man covered in silver floating on a board, Johnny would go on to comment on how he looks awesome. The alien would attack the team forcing them to fight back, the alien would prove too powerful to the team and almost lose their lives until the Thing would knock the alien out with a sneak attack. The Fantastic Four would take him back to the Baxter Building and incarcerate him.
The alien later woke up, after waking up Reed began to question and the alien told Reed everything, from his past, to all the information he knew about Galactus and revealed his name as Norrin Radd. The Surfer would then go on to warn the Fantastic Four that Galactus plans to devour this planet and they'll need [Silver Surfer's] help if they want to stop him.
Arrival of Galactus
After Silver Surfer's revelation, Reed contacts Nick Fury detailing him of what has transpired and Silver Surfer's revelation. Nick Fury tells Reed and the other members of the Fantastic Four to come to the Triskelion, and also bring the Silver Surfer.
With credible sources, Fury orders Hank Pym, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner to begin working on a way to stop this incoming threat and Reed also agrees to help. Suddenly Galactus arrives. The Silver Surfer tells them not to completely panic as Galactus always begins a path of destruction shortly before consuming it, Nick Fury orders the Avengers except Hank Pym and Tony Stark, the Fantastic Four except Reed Richards and the X-Men to distract Galactus while Stark, Pym and Reed continue working on a way to stop Galactus.
While working on a way to stop Galactus, the three then discover a dimension and name it the Negative Zone, it supports no life and if they can find a way to get Galactus there, they can beat him. The Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-Men return with the Silver Surfer, Cable, Spider-Man and Daredevil. Pym, Stark and Reed notify the heroes of the Negative Zone and their plans on building a dimensional bridge to it and find a way to push him inside of it, they can defeat him. Quicksilver informs them that if they know how to build it and tell him how to build it, he'll use his superspeed to get it built fast, Pym, Stark, Reed and Banner then begin brain storming on how to create a device that can create wormholes.
Suddenly, Galactus arrives and attacks the Triskelion. The heroes begin battling Galactus to hold him off while Reed and the other brains attempt to blueprint a wormhole device. After a long battle the heroes are defeated by Galactus but luckily the brains have come up with a way of creating a portal device, they wake up Quicksilver to build the mission, although Quicksilver will need a distraction, Bruce transforms into the Hulk in a berserker rage and begins pounding Galactus. From looking at the blueprints, Quicksilver builds the device and activates it creating a wormhole. Hulk with a limited understanding keeps on punching Galactus in the direction of the wormhole and attempts to push him into it, as Galactus falls into the wormhole he grabs the Hulk and with no way to escape his fate seems to be sealed.
Until Silver Surfer zooms in and tackles Galactus into the wormhole going inside with him. Quicksilver quickly shuts down the device closing the wormhole forever, after successfully averting the dystopian future Cable hails from, he begins fading from existence. As he is fading, Cable thanks Daredevil, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iceman and Quicksilver for being a family to him when no one else would in the future and he tells Cyclops and Jean Grey that he loves them and hopes to see them again soon.
A few days later while on a night out, Reed realizes that life is short and after the whole Galactus problem, Reed wanted to spend the rest of his life with Sue and then asks her if she wants to get married straight away. Sue tearfully agrees and the two are married the next day and the two go on their honeymoon.
During their honeymoon, Reed and Sue seemed to be having the perfect getaway. Until Sue began feeling morning sickness and realized she was late, she would tell Reed of this and the two would go out and get a pregnancy test. Sue would discover the test was positive, confused but excited, Reed would comment on how they were always safe although Sue would go on to make a joke about superhuman sperm, the two would then laugh, stop, and then smile once more. Reed and Sue were going to be parents.
When they returned to New York, they immediately announced the pregnancy to Ben and Johnny, the two would scream with joy and excitement and then would go on to congratulate Reed and Sue on their pregnancy.
Powers and Abilities
Gifted superhuman powers by dark matter bombarding his body.
Hyper-Intelligence: Mister Fantastic’s natural mental abilities were greatly augmented by the dark matter that gave him his powers.
Plasticity: Mister Fantastic possesses the ability to convert the mass of his entire body into a highly malleable state at will. How his body's respiration and circulatory systems function at these distorted extremes is as yet unknown. Mister Fantastic can alter his form in a matter of seconds, often much less (depending on the complexity of the shape), and revert to his normal humanoid shape within a similar time. The greater the distance he stretches or the more extended the size of the object he becomes, the weaker his overall strength becomes. Mister Fantastic's transformation to a malleable state is reflexive and nearly instantaneous: if he was at his normal form and taken unaware by machine gun fire, his body would still absorb the bullets' impact through radical deformation. In fact, it was revealed that is was Mr. Fantastic, despite being in a weakened state, who protected all the heroes other than Hulk from the impact of the 150 billion ton mountain falling on them before the Jade Giant caught the mountain, although the strain caused him to pass out. Mister Fantastic's skin is virtually impervious to laceration or punctures unless he willfully relaxes his reflexive control over small areas of his body. In that case, scalpels and ordinary needles can penetrate his skin.
- Dense Flesh: Due to the great malleability and elasticity of his molecular structure, Mister Fantastic is able to absorb the impact of any type of man-made ballistic projectile by deforming his body along the path of the projectile's trajectory at the point of initial impact.
- Contain Explosions: Mister Fantastic may use his elastic form to contain explosions by enveloping them and allowing their force to expand him. He can enclose and absorb the energy of a large explosive, on the order of 8 to 12 pounds of TNT (excluding exotic, high density explosives). Such shocks to his system are physically exhausting.
- Redirect Projectiles: After his body absorbs the kinetic energy of a ballistic projectile's impact, Mister Fantastic can expel the object back along its trajectory by flexing his body like a trampoline if he is adequately braced.
- Elongation: Mister Fantastic can extend his limbs, torso, or neck to great distances: the maximum length he can distend before his body segments become painful is about 1,500 feet. (Although he can extend discrete body parts, such as a single finger, an ear, or an eye, he seldom if ever isolates such parts in his elongations.)
- Grappling: Mister Fantastic may restrain opponents very efficiently by using his elastic form to entangle them.
- Movement: Mister Fantastic can move at great speeds by stretching to his destination.
- Shape Changing: Mister Fantastic can stretch, deform, expand, or compress his entire body or parts thereof into any contiguous shape he can imagine for a variety of uses:
- Imitation: Mister Fantastic may alter his basic physical features, allowing him to take on the appearance of any other man with similar hair and skin tone. One time, Mister Fantastic actually increased his size and mass density, in effect bulking his body to "Thing"-like proportions while increasing his strength to the same levels as well. The force of his strikes was enough to stagger even Onslaught.
- Canopy, Parachute or Sheath: Mister Fantastic can extend his body in two directions, creating a canopy, parachute, or sheath, its thickness determined by the extent of its distention.
- Gliding: Mister Fantastic can transform himself into aerodynamic shapes such as parachutes or hang-gliders. In this form he can support an additional 1000 pounds (enough to hold the rest of Fantastic Four, even the Thing).
- Cushion: Mister Fantastic may form his elastic form into a trampoline and other cushion-like objects, allowing him to safely catch falling people and objects.
- Sling Shot: Mister Fantastic may use his elastic form as a slingshot to hurl objects with great force.
- Geometric Shapes: Mister Fantastic has compressed his body into the shape of a solid sphere, a cylinder, a cube, a toroid, and a rectangular prism: he can assume the shape of any solid that he can envision clearly, of a volume no greater than 1.7 cubic feet (a sphere about 18 inches in diameter). He can generate thin-walled shapes that enclose great volumes of space.
- Fist Weapons: Mister Fantastic may form his fists into large hammers, maces, etc., which improve his physical effectiveness in hand-to-hand combat.
- Bouncing Ball: Mister Fantastic can transform himself into any of a number of resilient shapes, such as balls or springs that allow him to leap or bounce great distances.
- Two-Dimensionality: Mister Fantastic can flatten himself to the thickness of an average sheet of typing paper (.0035 inch) or narrow himself to a diameter small enough to pass through the eye of a #10 beading needle (about .045 x .06 inches).
- Infiltration: Mister Fantastic can lower his body’s cohesion to such an extent that he can actually flow through minute openings.
- Open Locks: Mister Fantastic may form his fingers into various types of keys, allowing him to open most forms of mechanical locks.
- Wind Generation: Mister Fantastic may form his hands into fans, allowing him to generate wind by twirling them at great speeds.
- Semi-Solid Liquid State: Mister Fantastic can willfully reduce his body into an almost liquid state in order to flow out of small cracks or passages, even through needle-sized holes.
- Semi-Solid Liquid State: Mister Fantastic can willfully reduce his body into an almost liquid state in order to flow out of small cracks or passages, even through needle-sized holes.
Super-Genius Intelligence: Dr. Richards is one of the most intelligent beings on the planet. Reed possesses a mastery of electrical, mechanical and aerospace engineering, electronics, chemistry, all levels of physics, and human and alien biology. A visionary theoretician and inspired machine smith, he has made breakthroughs in such varied fields as space travel, time travel, extra-dimensional travel, biochemistry, robotics, computers, synthetic polymers, communications, mutations, transportation, holography, energy generation, spectral analysis and more. He is one of the few people on Earth to be an expert on other dimensions and the methods by which to travel to and through them. Reed’s patents are so valuable that he is able to bankroll the Fantastic Four, Inc., without any undue financial stress. Not only has Reed proven himself to be a genius in virtually every science native to Earth, he has shown himself to be more knowledgeable than even some of the most highly advanced alien civilizations in the known universe as well. He has often be stated to be the smartest man on Earth.
Hypnotism: Mister Fantastic is trained in hypnosis.
Mister Fantastic possesses the normal human strength and build of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise, but thanks to his malleable body, he can mold himself into stronger, more attack-based forms.
Equipment: Although the Fantastic Four have numerous devices, crafts, and weapons, there are some items that Reed Richards carries with him at all times.
Launches a fiery "4" symbol into the sky that is used during combat situations to let other members of the group know their location. Fantastic Four uniform
Like all the Fantastic Four's costumes and the rest of Reed's wardrobe, his suit is made of "unstable molecules". This means that the suit is attuned to his powers, which is why Johnny's costume doesn't burn when he "flames on," Sue's costume turns invisible when she does, and Reed's costume stretches with him. The costume also insulates them from electrical assaults. In addition, the team's uniforms are also, in essence, wearable computers. Their costumes have a complete data processing and telemetry system woven into the material of the uniform on a molecular level. This forms a network with the entire team, providing a constant, real-time uplink of everyone's physical condition as well as their location and current situation. The suit is capable of displaying data and touch-pad controls on the gauntlets. Its sensors can track all of the team's uniforms and provide a picture of their immediate vicinity. The suit has an intricate scanner system which can detect things around the wearer, from how many people are in the next room to what dimension or planet they are on. Reed can also up-link the bodysuit to any computer by stretching his fingertips to filament size and plugging them in to an I/O data-port. With this, Reed can establish a fairly comprehensive database of any computer's cybernetic protocols and encryption algorithms.
Reed has a Universal Translator that can decipher and interpret languages, both alien and terrestrial, into the native language of the user
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Reed was born in 1987.
- The white hair around Reed's temples changed color from the shock of entering the Wormhole and being bathed in the dark matter and extra-dimensional energies.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Reed Richards (Earth-1111)
- Character Gallery: Reed Richards (Earth-1111)
- Quotations by Reed Richards (Earth-1111)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References