Otto Octavius was raised in an oppressive household, with an overprotective mother, and a harsh, abusive father. His mother encouraged the young Otto, already a good student, to push himself in school, in the hopes that he would have a better life. Becoming obsessed with schoolwork after his mother's death, Otto applied himself even harder to his studies in science. He graduated and got work with an engineering firm, soon becoming a respected nuclear physicist and research consultant.
Becoming Doctor Octopus
One day, Octavius hypothesized an idea that energy content of fusion energy can be harnessed in battery format; having sought funding from Lisa Benson's Foundation, created a fusion experiment; to safely manipulate hazardous substances he crafted a harness using four metal tentacles attached to a harness that used neural sensors to read his thoughts and control his arms. Eventually Benson's patience wore thin and she terminated funding. Forced to work in substandard laboratory conditions without essential safeguards; Otto spent months in isolation trying to perfect his research. When the experiment exploded, Octavius' arms were permanently fused on his back due to being bombarded by nuclear energy and extreme heat. The radiation simultaneously caused mutations in his brain, allowing him to have direct control over the arms through telepathy.
Octavius the awoke in the hospital, and realized his tentacle harness has fused with his body and can completely control them only with his mind. He also felt "stronger then ever" and sees himself as "superior" than anyone he knows. He then escapes the hospital, and decided his first order of business was to take revenge on all those who mocked him and has deemed his enemies. Embracing the name Doctor Octopus.
Octavius kidnapped his father and Maria Benson for ransom from Maria's mother, who did not have patience to fund Ock's experiments before he was a villain, and has taken them to an abandoned warehouse. He then plans to kill of them to show the world he can truly defeat his enemies. Upon which his confrontation with Spider-Man forced him to kidnap J. Jonah Jameson as well for additional fee; he was subsequently defeated by Spider-Man manages to save the two hostages Maria Benson and Jameson. Spider-Man unafortunalty failed to save his father however as he was murdered by his son Otto before Spider-Man could save him.
Octopus was sent to prison, possibly Ryker's Island, where his arms were trapped in each of the room's four corners and he could only sit in the middle.
The Gentleman's files
While still in prison, Otto Octavius was visited by a man calling himself The Gentleman and was listed as a potential candidate for a "Special Project" that the Kingpin was running. When asked how many men he needed for the the project, Kingpin tells him to keep it at a minimal of six.
Powers and Abilities
- Mutated Physiology: Doctor Octopus' genetically and artificially gained superhuman abilities derive from the four mentally-controlled, electronically-powered, telescoping, prehensile titanium-steel tentacles attached to a harness fused to his back. Each tentacle, approximately five inches in diameter, terminates in three single-jointed pincers. The pincers are able to rotate in relation to the arm for 360 degrees, in a screwdriver-like twisting motion. Each tentacle segment contains four high-efficiency electric motors equipped with a clutched, helical-gear train, independently mounted on frictionless gimbals and housed in four thin, overlapping layers of titanium-niobium steel. The titanium-steel alloy is light, has high-tensile strength, a high melting point, and high thin-wall rigidity. The motors get their power from a small nuclear-powered thermo-electric generator, which can provide several hundred watts per hour for up to five years before needing to replace its U-239 core.
- Telescoping: Each tentacle is approximately six feet long at full contraction, but can extend to a maximum of 24 feet in length.
- Superhuman Striking Force: Each tentacle is capable of moving at a speed of ninety feet per second and strike with the force of a jackhammer.
- High-Wind Generation: The tentacles can generate 50 mile per hour winds if spun like a giant fan.
- Wall-Climbing and Traveling: By combining the intrinsic strength of both his tentacles and the pincers, Doctor Octopus can scale stone, brick, or concrete walls by rending "handholds" in the surface of the wall. At full extension, he can travel high above the ground as if on stilts, either using two tentacles, or for maximum speed (approximately 50 miles per hour), four tentacles.
- Genius Intelligence: Otto Octavius is a multi-discipline scientist with expertise in various fields of science.
- Radiation Specialist: Doctor Octopus is one of the world's leading authorities on nuclear radiation and its effect on animal physiology.
- Master Scientist: Otto is an immensely skilled genius scientist, being extremely skilled and knowledgeable in a wide range of scientific fields.
- Master Engineer: Doctor Octopus is a brilliant engineer and inventor.
Without the use of his artificial tentacles, Otto possessed the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercises. With his artificial tentacles, Otto is capable of climbing entire buildings, destroy concrete and metal structures without effort, and go one-to-one against Spider-Man, wich possesses superhuman strength.
His eyes damaged in the accident that gave him his powers are very sensitive to light, meaning he has to wear special glasses to protect them.
- Doctor Octopus' Tentacles: Dr. Otto Octavius has constructed four-set of tentacles on his back to help manipulate radioactive substances from a safe distance, earning him the nickname Doctor Octopus. The tentacles, or "arms" as they've been more commonly called, are controlled via a neural transmitter chip which which has been fused into his spinal cord.
In a freak laboratory accident, volatile liquids exploded - bombarding the scientist with radiation. The substances left him capable of mentally controlling the arms, but the accident also caused irreversible brain damage - transforming the respected scientist into a megalomaniacal superhuman criminal. The tentacles allow for multitasking and have a considerable amount of superhuman strength.
- Otto wore special glasses to protect his damaged eyes.
Transportation: He moves around quickly by walking on his four tentacles (although he has been shown to require only two to walk on).
Weapons: Doctor Octopus' Tentacles: His tentacles, which allow him to easily break/bend stronger metals, and even Spider-Man's webbing. They also have spikes that come from the 'eyes'. When the claws are closed, they can fold up to reveal small claws to hold smaller and more delicate objects. They are resistant to heat and magnetism.
This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of Marvel Ultiverse and is an adaptation of Otto Octavius/Doc Ock. The original character was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. His first appearance was in Amazing Spider-Man #3
- Otto's physical appearence was meant to resemble Hugo Strange from DC comics to give this version of Doctor Octopus a more of an evil scientist look.
- Appearances of Otto Octavius (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Otto Octavius (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Otto Octavius (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References