Norman Osborn was the son of the wealthy business inventor Amberson Osborn. He had a decent childhood until Amberson lost most of the family fortune after the failure of his invention company and took out his rage on Norman. This abuse had Norman realize that only the strong survive and that he will never be weak. Soon, Norman attended Empire State University with a science scholarship and received degrees in chemistry and electrical engineering. He would marry a woman named Martha and would and have a son together. Years later, his son Harry introduced him to his best friend Peter Parker, who Norman took an immediate liking to Peter when he was informed that Parker can understand his work and Norman expressed his desire to recruit him into Oscorp. His son however, resented his father's apparent favoritism toward his friend Peter. At some point, his company was contracted by the Unites States Military to create a new Super-Soldier serum which led towards the creation of "Oz". Osborn's colleague, Doctor Mendel Stromm, felt it important to reveal to the Military official General Thaddeus Ross, who oversaw the Oz project that some of the test subjects had gone insane. After the Ross heard that, Osborn was threatened with a tight deadline.
Meanwhile, the arrival of Spider-Man catches the attention of Norman. Anxious to develop his Oz Serum, the main goals of which are already exhibited by the super-hero, Osborn orders the capture of Spider-Man. At some point, The Gentleman (Gustav Fiers) discusses with Osborn that the Kingpin has to offer: help create super villains to distract Spider-Man from arresting his thugs in exchange for helping Norman completing his Oz serum by capturing him. Osborn accepts. The Gentleman brings one of his thugs, Flint Marko, Marko is then taken inside an underground experimental room where Norman Osborn is, where he became Sandman, a being comprised of and able to control sand. After Sandman failed to capture Spider-Man, Osborn tips off the Kingpin of an experimental suit of armor from the Horizon Labs. The tech is stolen by another one of Kingpin's thugs, Alex O' Hirn who takes up the alias of Rhino.
The Green Goblin
After Rhino was defeated by Spider-Man, Norman calls off the deal with the Kingpin and tell him that Spider-Man will suspect who is behind the creation of Sandman and Rhino and hence Osborn must stop creating more supervillains to throw Spider-Man off the track. However, The Gentleman threatens Osborn that they stop making supervillains when Kingpin wants to. Norman went back to his studies. Eventually the Military decided to give the Super-Soldier contract to another company. Due to this, Norman's company decided to expand and in doing so, his former partner Mendel Stromm assumed control of Oscorp on the condition that Norman step down as CEO.
Enraged, Norman returned to his lab and immediately have one of his scientist's inter mixed Norman's DNA with Oz Serum, hoping for an successful outcome and become a heightened version of himself to prove his formula could succeed. But the process was a failure, Norman gained superhuman strength and agility from the experiment but is driven partially insane as he killed the scientist and stole the jet glider from Oscorp. Remembering a giant green goblin monster from childhood nightmares, he created a costume that resembled that monster, and he became the "Green Goblin". Norman Osborn now as the Goblin killed the Board of Directors during a festival in Times Square in retaliation, thus removing the threat to his takeover of Oscorp and inadvertently killed Capt. George Stacy. The Goblin's appearance at the festival also marked the beginning of his animosity towards Spider-Man. He fights off Spider-Man but was quickly defeated by the hero. Even though Goblin viewed Spider-Man as the son that he always wanted, strong and intelligent; Spider-Man would only get in his way of his plans, which was to become the new kingpin of crime. While snooping around Fisk's building, he was captured and brought before Fisk, who revealed himself as the Kingpin of Crime. The Green Goblin offered partnership to the Kingpin, and vowed to defeat Spider-Man.
After experiencing hallucinations of the Green Goblin, Norman's evil side convinces him that he and Spider-Man should work together as partners. Later on, the Green Goblin hires various crooks to aid him in overthrowing the Kingpin in order to become the reigning crime boss in New York. Goblin then sent out a few of his goons to start a shoot out with Police Officers to grab Spider-Man's attention and equipped them with Goblin masks and rifles. And just as Goblin thought, Spider-Man intervenes and defeated the thugs with incredible ease. As Spider-Man was distracted with the thugs, Goblin grabs Spider-Man using a cable cord and drags him across the neighborhood. Goblin then drops him off on a rooftop and offers an opportunity for the hero and the Goblin join forces to take over New York but he refuses. Green Goblin decides to defeat and possibly kill Spider-Man. The fight extends from all over streets of New York. They are evenly matched although Goblin uses his razor bats and bombs that was filled with a gas that nullified his wall-clinging ability and spider-senses, gaining a upper advantage. The fight continues at a factory, where Goblin finally defeated Spider-Man. The goblin then ambushes and unmasks Spider-Man successfully, revealing his true identity to be Peter Parker. He then let Spider-Man escape, so as to prove his superiority.
Later, Norman contemplates with his Goblin persona saying he can't go through with it but the Goblin tells him that Spider-Man has to be stopped. The next day, Norman would later invite Peter to his home where he revealed himself to Parker as the Green Goblin, telling him that he must give up his life as Spider-Man and work for him, or he and his loved ones would die. When Parker seemingly accepts, the Goblin takes the mask of Spider-Man that he'd gotten from their last fight and brings it to Kingpin, proving to him his loyalty and that Spider-Man was no longer gonna be a problem.
Goblin's plans of taking over Kingpin's empire was foiled however when the police ambushed their current base of operations. Believing that Goblin had set them up, Fisk doubled crossed the Green Goblin and ordered his men to execute him while he fled via Helicopter, not knowing it was actually Spider-Man who tipped off the feds. Goblin and Spider-Man brawled until Goblin hots him with his hallucinogenic gas to wear off the wall crawler, but Spidery manages to resists it's effects and delivers him a punch. They fight some more until Spider-Man deflects one of Goblin's pumpkin bombs which causes him to crash into a mixture of live wires and chemicals and a fire starts, sustaining him a case of immediate amnesia, forgetting that he was ever the Green Goblin in the first place. Spider-Man quickly changed out of his Goblin gear and pulled Osborn out of the burning building for the police to take him to a hospital, with Spider-Man telling the authorities he was an hostage and that the Goblin was killed in the fire. Harry and Peter visits Norman in the hospital who offered to shake Peter's hand after being reintroduced to Peter, starting a clean slate with their relationship.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: The Goblin, after injecting the formula, become super-humanly strong. He can overpower several S.W.A.T. officers with ease. He could also lift heavy objects, bend metal with his bare hands, and punch through glass without injury. In terms of his strength, he seems to be much stronger then his adversary Spider-Man. He is also able to use his strength to rip Spider-Mans web during their battles and is able to brutally damage a weakened Spider-Man.
- Superhuman Speed: The Goblin, thanks to the Oz serum, could run and operate at superhuman speeds. His overall body equilibrium was also heightened although he was not nearly as fast as speedsters. For example, with his speed, he can outrun vehicles. He moves & reacts at an incredible pace as well, catching and dodging Spider-Man's quick punches and countering. He is even able to throw his pumpkin bats with great speed.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Goblin, thanks to the Oz serum, could operate or maintain his movements for prolonged periods of time without getting tired or weary in the process.
- Superhuman Durability: The Oz serum also fortified all of Osborn's bodily tissues, making them far tougher and more resistant to injury than normal humans. While Osborn could be injured by something along the lines of a knife or small conventional bullets composed of conventional material, he was very resistant to great impact forces. He could withstand powerful impacts, such as falling from several stories or being repeatedly struck by a superhuman enemy, that would severely injure or kill a normal human with little to no harm to himself. He was able to fight an enraged Spider-Man and sustain hits from him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: If The Goblin did sustain injury, his body's increased metabolism allowed him to heal damaged tissue much faster and more extensively than a normal human is capable of. He could heal from injuries that would prove lethal to an ordinary human.
- Superhuman Agility: The Goblin's agility, balance, and bodily coordination were enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are well similar to Spider-Man's. it is enhanced to where it's currently about 30 times greater than those of an ordinary human. The speed of his reflexes allows him to dodge almost any attack.
- Hand-to-Hand Combatant: While fighting Spider-Man on three separate occasions, he has displayed remarkable prowess in fighting Spider-Man & even shows combat skill that is superior to the likes of Spider-Man.
- Resources: He has an almost inexhaustible amount of wealth at his disposal. He uses this to acquire advanced technologies & other weaponry for his vendetta against those who stand in his path. He can even utilize his own limitless resources from OsCorp, such as his stolen OsCorp glider and Pumpkin Bombs.
Genius Level Intellect: Even before consuming the Oz serum, Norman was extremely smart and intelligent, was extremely skilled with mathematics and science, possessing an immense knowledge of chemistry and the side-effects of drugs on humans and animals. The Oz Formula enhanced Osborn's mental capacities and creative talents. Aside from his physical advantages, the serum also greatly enhanced Norman's already highly above average intellect, making him a true genius capable of making progress in advanced areas of genetics, robotics, engineering, and applied chemistry that most professional scientists can scarcely comprehend.
Expert Marksman: As the Goblin, Norman uses various hand-held throwing weapons such as explosives and razor projectiles which he will throw with great aim rarely ever missing his target. He is also a skilled sharpshooter with various firearms.
Skilled Combatant: He is a skilled unarmed combatant that is capable of using most weapons proficiently.
Norman is able to lift 9 tons under his own Goblin powers.
Insanity: A downside to the increased intellect and physical capabilities afforded by the Oz formula, is that it is responsible for Osborn's insanity.
- Oscorp Glider: The glider is a transportation device created by one of the inventors at Oscorp. This glider also comes in with built in weaponry. It is of great maneuverability and speeds of up to 90 miles per hour. It has built in voice-activated radio-linked controls integrated into Norman's earpiece. The glider can also be steered primarily. Norman also wears a armor that is also cybernetically connected him to his glider and his weapons.
- Pumpkin Bombs: Grenades used as a weapon by the Goblin. The bombs are used as flying explosive grenades.
- Oscorp Glider: This glider comes in with built in weaponry. It is of great maneuverability and speeds of up to 90 miles per hour and is capable of supporting about 400 pounds including Norman's weight. It has built in voice-activated radio-linked controls integrated into Norman's earpiece. The glider can also be steered primarily by the Goblin's boots, locked into the stirrups of the glider electromagnetically.
- OsCorp Glider: The Green Goblin piloted a high-tech Goblin Glider that was armed with heat-seeking missiles, machine guns, and razor-sharp spears. Norman also wore green armor that cybernetically connected him to his glider and his weapons.
- Pumpkin Bombs: Grenades used as a weapon by the Goblin. The bombs are used as flying explosive grenades. He also carried a variety of smoke and gas-emitting Pumpkin bombs that emitted hallucinogenic and tranquilizing gases, and others released a specially concocted gas that could neutralize Spider-Man's spider sense and wall crawling powers for a limited period of time.
- Goblin Gloves: The gloves contains finger blasters which could shoot electricity or a blinding flash.
- Flying Razor Bats: Pumpkin Bombs that split into flying, razor-sharp blades which could slice into or ram and impale themselves into opponents.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of Marvel Ultiverse and is an adaptation of Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. The original character was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. His first appearance was in Amazing Spider-Man #14 (July, 1964).
- According to his son Harry, Norman watches Game of Thrones.
- Appearances of Norman Osborn (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Norman Osborn (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Norman Osborn (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·
Links and References