Noriko is one of the last survivors of the massacre caused by the villain Victorious. She ended up trapped by him after energizing the Heroine's time machine so that she could go to the past. The X-Men of the past released her from her prison, along with her fellow surviving X-Men, the Avengers and the Fantastic Forty-Four. During the escape, the X-Men's leader (Armor) was seriously injured. In her last act of life, she transferred her mutant power to Noriko, explaining that her mutant power is a family inheritance and is transferable when the wearer is close to death. Noriko then took over the leadership of the X-Men and started to assist in the reconstruction of the world after the downfall of Victorious.
Powers and Abilities
Electrostatic Energy Generation: Speedfreak possesses the mutant ability to bodily generate electrostatic energy which she could release or harness for a number of effects. She is powered by the micro-fine rhythmic muscle contractions that normally regulate body temperature. Her body can generate electricity at a rate of about 10,000 volts per minute, up to her maximum storage capacity of 10,000,000 volts. At that point, her body automatically stops producing electricity. As she expends her electrostatic energy, her body automatically begins to recharge the stores. Speedfreak can mentally control the amount of electricity she discharges, anywhere from a single volt to her full 10,000,000 volt charge at once. At ten to thirty feet, her maximum charge is more than enough to kill a man. Speedfreak can also use her body as a transformer, touching an outside power source (such as a generator) and channeling it through her body for use. The amount of electricity she can transform above her body's maximum storage capacity is unknown.
- Lightning Bolt Projection: The simplest manifestation is the emission of a lightning-like electric arc from her fingertips, which can propagate through air or other conducting mediums. This discharge, whose total voltage can be regulated within certain limits, travels at the speed of lightning, about 150,000 feet per second. The course of the electrostatic bolt, like lightning, does not always follow a straight line since it could be influenced by conducting substances like metal or other electrical fields. If her target is not grounded, her electrostatic bolt would have little effect. The maximum effective range of her bolts is about 10000 feet.
- Electrical Detection: Speedfreak's electrical powers also grant her certain sensory and manipulative abilities. By "feeling" the course of electricity through the circuitry of any electrically-powered device, she can override the system and make the device obey her mental commands. She can disconnect alarm systems, control computers in a limited way, or overload any electrically-controlled system that is insufficiently shielded.
- Electrocution: The electric flux of Speedfreak's skin is such that when her electric charge is at a maximum, a person touching her is in danger of being electrocuted.
- Recharging: By using an external electrical power source to recharge her body's energy reserves, she can expend electrical energy indefinitely without diminishing her personal reserves.
- Electrical Conversion into Enhanced Physical Attributions: The electricity coursing through her body augmented her strength, speed, and recuperative powers. When fully charged, Speedfreak is able to lift (press) about 25 tons.
- Metal Ionization: Speedfreak was taught by Professor X during that she could ionize metals.
- Electromagnetic Manipulation: An experimental procedure temporarily heightened her powers, allowing Speedfreak to store and absorb a seemingly limitless amount of electricity. She could fly by generating a massive field of electricity which could propel her through the air. She also seemed to gain the power of magnetokinesis to a certain degree, allowing her to manipulate magnetic fields and move objects in a manner similar to that of Magneto, and could overcome her old weakness to water by using the electromagnetic fields around her to vaporize water before it could touch her. She was able to defeat Nate Grey by manipulating the bio-electric currents in the human brain to turn Nate's own psionic powers against him. Presumably, had she further explored the implications of this power, she would have been able to control people's entire bodies this way as well, and might have been able to control machines in a similar way. She was also able to painfully paralyze anyone by overcharging their synapses' bio-electrical transmissions.
- Immunity to Electricity: Speedfreak's body was immune to the effects of its electricity and that of other sources as well. Speedfreak could not be electrocuted no matter how great the voltage.
- Charging: Speedfreak could charge herself up to reach high maximum voltage. Here she could grow in height to an enormous humanoid looking creature made up of nothing but electricity.
- Speed Physiology: Speedfreak's body is adapted towards the rigors of high-speed running. Her cardiovascular and respiratory systems are many times more efficient than those of a normal human being. She metabolizes an estimated 95% of the caloric energy content of foodstuffs (normal humans use about 25%). The chemical processes of Speedfreak's musculature are so highly enhanced that her body does not generate fatigue poisons, the normal by-products of locomotion, which force the body to rest. Rather, her body constantly expels waste products during her accelerated respiration through exhalation. Her joints are smoother and lubricated more efficiently than those of a normal human being. Her tendons have the tensile strength of spring steel. Her bones contain unknown materials significantly more durable than calcium to withstand the dynamic shocks of her feet touching the ground at speeds a human could never achieve or withstand. Speedfreak's practical reaction time is several times faster than a normal human's and the speed at which her brain processes information is heightened to a level commensurate with her bodily speed, enabling she to perceive her surroundings while traveling at high velocities. Speedfreak's lachrymose is more viscous than normal, thus preventing rapid evaporation and replenishment of surface fluids on her eyeballs under the influence of high wind velocity to occlude her vision.
- Superhuman Speed: She was originally capable of running faster than the speed of sound (770 miles per hour). She had sufficient energy reserves that enabled her to run at this average speed for an unknown amount of hours before reducing her speed to replenish her body's store of energy. Speedfreak has used her powers of acceleration for various feats. She has plucked an arrow out of the air from a standing start, and has dodged machine gun fire. She created cyclone-like gusts of wind, which are able to knock a man off her feet. She is able to run across the Atlantic Ocean and to oversea continents without having to stop and run up the sides of buildings effortlessly. After being captured by the High Evolutionary, where her powers were upgraded by Isotope E, her running speed was increased until she was capable of easily reaching supersonic speeds between Mach 5 (6,175 km/h) and Mach 7 (8,643.6 km/h). The true extent of her amplified abilities are unknown and are stated to be limitless, she has been observed outrunning Thor's lightning bolts, running from Tibet to Indonesia in a few seconds, and covering half the Earth's distance in 92 seconds (not at full speed). Speedfreak is also immune to the effects of friction, reduced oxygen up to a point where a human can no longer breathe, and impact upon her body while moving at super-speeds. She traveled around the world by running on top of the ocean water and even ran all the way up Mount Everest without slowing down and went flying above cloud level as a result. She recently showed the ability to shift her molecules through solid objects, and transport people at speeds greater than the speed of sound without injuring them.
- Enhanced Durability: Speedfreak's bones are super-durable and capable of resisting tremendous impact forces that could easily crush and kill a human without suffering any serious external or internal injuries.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Speedfreak's reflexes are superior to those of the finest human athletes. Because her brain functions at superhuman speeds, she perceives everything as slower than her. Even in her earliest appearances, she could perform feats of incredible reaction-time, such as dodging a close range optic blast from Cyclops.
- Accelerated Metabolism: Speedfreak's metabolism is more than 15 times faster than that of a normal human being, thus enabling her to heal much faster then normal and have increased health and longevity.
- Superhuman Stamina: Speedfreak's cardiovascular, respiratory, and metabolic systems are far more efficient than human norms. Her body generates virtually no fatigue poisons.
- Superhuman Agility: Her physiology grants her superhuman agility, being more flexible and having greater balance than an ordinary human.
- Quick Intelligence: She can process information at superhuman speeds, enabling her to read dozens of books in a matter of minutes or teach herself to play a musical instrument in a matter of moments.
- Navigation: Speedfreak can sense vibrational patterns in her environment that enable her to always find magnetic north. This allows her to navigate and change course instinctively, despite blurring at high speeds, or where there is a lack of landmarks, like over open ocean.
- Molecular Acceleration/Destabilization: Through the course of her life as a mutant, her super speed has granted her numerous abilities. One of the peculiar ones is being able to vibrate her molecular structure at high speeds. Different writers used it for different purposes that were often absurd, or completely ignored it to avoid obscurity. She demonstrated the full effect which enables her to destabilize atomic matter by accelerating the target object's molecule structure, often causing it to fall apart or explode usually by touching it. It is unknown if she can do this from a distance. She also had the ability to fly for short periods of time.
- Intangibility: Speedfreak also can use molecular destabilization to walk through solid objects.
Psionic Exoskeleton-Armor: Speedfreak can generate an enormously strong, powerful, and durable psionic exoskeleton armor around her entire physical body. This Psionic Exoskeleton previously belonged to Armor, however, as she explained in her last moments of life, this power could be transferred to whomever its original carrier wanted when she was close to death. This exoskeleton drastically enhances her strength, endurance, stamina, agility, invulnerability, and durability, though she can only maintain it for short periods of time lest the effort leave her drained. In situations of extreme emotional stress, Speedfreak can significantly enhance her exoskeleton's size, strength, agility, dexterity, and durability, but she can only do so briefly as the strain can render her unconscious. The strength, power, and size of her psionic armor greatly enhances and increases tremendously when her relatives die. In addition, the body armor greatly heightens and strengthens the concussive force behind her offensive and incredibly destructive blows, and makes her practically invulnerable and immune from a significant degree of physical harm and damage. To some extent, she can shape her armor, such as her ability to form Wolverine-like claws and make them extend outward.
- Superhuman Strength: Her body armor greatly strengthens and amplifies the concussive force behind her unusually offensive and highly destructive blows. Her psionic armor grants her enough superhuman strength to lift a Skrull ground tank and punch someone through several walls of a building and even assisted Colossus in restraining a small ship capable of breaking orbit from lifting off.
- Superhuman Durability/Invulnerability: The body armor is depicted as enveloping her completely and protects her from tremendously strong and powerful attacks and in some depictions, Speedfreak's armor is strong and durable enough to survive the heat caused from a long fall through the atmosphere. Likewise, she is able to fully withstand the impact from falling to the ground from high up in the atmosphere without any physical or external injury.
- Concussive Blast: She can cause her armor to release a large, solid, concussive blast of energy, but it takes a lot of concentration.
Noriko has received combat training from Wolverine and classes in tactics from Cyclops. She is an extremely skilled fighter and hand-to-hand combatant as well as a brilliant strategist.
Speedfreak speaks fluently Japanese, English, French, German, Russian and Portuguese.