Nico Minoru's origin is the same as that of her Earth-616's counterpart.
Powers and Abilities
Nico has magical aptitude, but she did not receive formal training. So far she has relied on the Staff of One to work magic. After her encounter with Witchbreaker, her abilities were augmented so that she can create smaller magical effects without the aid of the Staff. She can freely float, although this ability is not as useful as actual flight which requires a spell. She can cast spells to change her surroundings, such as transforming the inside of a building.
- Flight: She can fly with the Staff of One.
- Magical Telekinesis: She can magically levitate and move objects with her mind.
- Magical Teleportation: She can open portals to teleport people to other places.
- Witch Arm: The new arm works similar to her using the Staff of One to cast spells.
She cannot repeat spells with the Staff: they either will not work at all or will cause a random effect. This was evident in the early period of the Runaways escape from their parents when Nico attempted to reuse the "Freeze" spell she had used on Stacey Yorkes, and accidentally conjured a flock of pelicans. The use of different languages and the extent of her vocabulary permit her to perform more spells.
Equipment: None known.
- The Staff of One: This ancient magical item has become a part of Nico. She can call it forth by shedding blood (through cutting herself, menstruating, or being wounded) and reciting, "When blood is shed, let the Staff of One emerge." The staff appears out of her chest, passing through her skin and clothing without harm. Once summoned, the staff used to work for anyone. But as evidenced by the confrontation with Val Rhymin's magician, the Staff has recently developed the ability to defend itself in a violent manner. Nico can cast spells by invoking painful memories, thinking of an effect, and giving the spell a name. There are no "standard" spells; in fact, casting any spell a second time produces an unpredictable (and usually undesirable) effect. Nico's spells can affect the elements (earth, air, fire, water), time and/or space, matter and/or energy, light, biological processes, and mental processes, and can apparently summon creatures from other dimensions; in short, the staff allows Nico to do anything she can imagine, short of raising the dead. After the staff has expended a certain amount of power, it disappears inside Nico again. The Staff has been recently updated into a version of the Witchbreaker's Staff, Nico's magical powers considerably augmented.
- Witch Arm: After losing her arm, the blood spilled from her injury greatly improved Nico's powers with the Staff of One. Her missing arm was then replaced with what Chase described as her "Witch Arm", a magical gauntlet with a jewel embedded in the back of the palm which seems to generally improve her magical ability and act as a real arm in place of the one she lost.
- No special notes.
- Nico is sixteen years old during the events of Runaways.
- Nico and her family are of Japanese descent.
- Nico was raised in the Christian faith, and was even an altar girl.
- She says she had My Little Ponies in kindergarten and that Gert hid them in the woods.
- Appearances of Nico Minoru (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Nico Minoru (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Nico Minoru (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·
Links and References