- What do you want from me?"
"What do we want from you? Uh-uh. What do you want from me? You have become a problem, a problem I have to deal with. Contrary to your belief, you are not the center of my universe. I have bigger problems in the southwest region to deal with.
- At ease, soldier!"
"Who are you?"
"Colonel Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. You would have known us as the Strategic Scientific Reserve."
"Where am I?"
"46th and Broadway. I'm sorry about that little show back there, but we didn't know what your mental state might be, so we thought it best to break it to you slowly."
"You've been asleep, Cap. For almost 70 years."
"How am I alive?"
"Well, to be honest with you, we don't really know. My docs say it was suspended animation. Could be Dr. Erskine's formula, the extreme cold. I don't know."
"What about the war? Did we win?"
"Hell, yes. Unconditional surrender. Taking down HYDRA was a big part of that. But the world hasn't changed all that much. There's still a lot of work to be done. A soldier's work. The world can still use a man like you, Cap. There's a place here for you.
- There was an idea called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people so they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to to fight the battles we never could.
- Doctor, thank you for coming."
"Thanks for asking nicely. So, uh... how long am I staying?"
"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the clear.
- Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us. I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."
"You think Fury's hiding something?"
"He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets.
- You think you could make Loki tell us where the Tesseract is?"
"I do not know. Loki's mind is far afield. It's not just power he craves, it's vengeance, upon me.
There's no pain would prise his need from him."
"A lot of guys think that. Until the pain starts."
"What are you asking me to do?"
"I'm asking, what are you prepared to do?"
"Loki is a prisoner."
"Then why do I feel like he's the only person on this boat that wants to be here?
- How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war, you steal a force you can't hope to control, you talk about peace, and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did.
- I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."
"Because of him!"
"Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that levelled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."
"My people want nothing but peace with your planet!"
"But you're not the only ones out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world is filling up with people that can't be matched, that can't be controlled!"
Like you control the cube?
- Director Fury, the Council has made a decision."
"I recognise the Council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid-ass decision, I've elected to ignore it.
- I don't think you understand what you've started. Letting the Avengers loose on this world. They're dangerous."
"They surely are. And the whole world knows it. Every world knows it.
- Colonel Nick Fury, Direction of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Founded to combat technologically advanced threats on world security, S.H.I.E.L.D. has, throughout the years, remained on the front lines fighting terrorism and extraterrestrial menaces as an international intelligence agency.
- Really? Really, Coulson? Six days? It only took you six days to take a completely renovated piece of state-of-the-art machinery and turn it into scrap?"
"My team acted with my authority.
- This is Project Insight. Three next generation Helicarriers linked to a network of targeting satellites. Once we get them in the air they never need to come down.
- We're going to neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."
"I thought the punishment usually came after the crime."
"We can't afford to wait that long."
- This isn't freedom. This is fear."
"S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be.
- But if you want to stay ahead of me, Mr. Secretary, you need to keep both eyes open.
- There was a time when I would take a bullet for you."
"You already did.
- And you sir? Where are you heading now?"
"Well I'm trading in my bird's eye view for two solid feet on the ground. This is the last time you'll be seeing me for a stretch."
"You going to disappear. Nowhere to be found."
"Nowhere? (Laughs) You know me better than that Phil, I'll be everywhere.
- His communication skills, flawed, but he could always see five steps ahead, which, for a one-eyed man, is impressive.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.