Mike Steel was an engineer, scientist, and pilot before gaining his superhuman powers. With his teammates, he attempted to duplicate the original rocket flight of the Fantastic Four through a cosmic ray belt, and gained superhuman powers just as the Fantastic Four did. His team then first battled the Hulk, although during the battle Ironclad lost control of his powers and sank into the ground. His teammate X-Ray bombarded the spot where he had sank with cosmic rays, boosting Steel's power until he could control it and dig his way back out to be reunited with the U-Foes.
Powers and Abilities
Ironclad's body has been bombarded with cosmic rays far greater then that of The Thing, since then his teammate X-Ray has once more bathed him in cosmic rays so as to achieve better control over his powers.
Metallic-Armored-like Skin: Ironclad's body is covered in a metallic-like and remarkably tough armored skin.
- Superhuman Strength: He possesses super-human strength (around 85 -90 tons), but nowhere near to the same level as the Hulk, a fact that he seems to be unable to accept.
- Superhuman Durability: The metallic-like composition of Ironclad body renders him highly resistant to physical injury. His body can resist extremely powerful impact forces. His body can also withstand extreme temperatures ranging from -75 degrees to 800 degrees Fahrenheit for up to one hour before exposure or heat prostration occurs.
- Mass/Density Manipulation The ability to increase or decrease his weight allowing him to hover in the air, or weigh as much as mountain.
Expert Pilot: Michael "Mike" Steel is an exceptionally skilled and experienced pilot.
Rocket Scientist: Michael built and piloted a space craft into the cosmic field that created him.
Master Combatant: Ironclad is a good hand-to-hand combatant.
Strength Class 90
An influx of cosmic radiation can cause a temporary loss of control to his density, causing Ironclad to increase in density until he sinks into the ground. His teammate Vapor once melted his skin.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Ironclad was based on The Thing.
- Ironclad cannot resume his normal human form at will.
- Appearances of Michael Steel (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Michael Steel (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Michael Steel (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References