Michael Phillips was born in Whistler, Canada, in 1988 to Steven and Julia Phillips. By the age of 12, he had an IQ of 116, making him the smartest man in town. One day, he saw an ad for the Pym College of Science and Technology, but it cost 6000 dollars to attend. He made a deal with his parents that he would work at the local bakery and make 3000 dollars, while they made the other half. By the age of 16, he was one check short of his half of the 3000, when he heard a rustling sound around back. He went outside and saw two people getting mugged. Seeing a plank of wood, he acted and knocked out the thugs. When he was caught by the police, the two women he saved stated his deed, and he was a town hero. When his boss handed him his last check, he asked the women their names when one replied Michelle Rogers, and the other Janet Van Dyne. Michael paid for his college fee.
Phillips met Dr. Henry Pym, where they discussed Pym Particles. Hank then showed him his Pym Ray-A gun that shot out Pym Particles shrinking anything it touches.
Powers and Abilities
- Pym Particles: Ant-Man is able to reduce himself to the size of an ant, approximately one-half inch in height, by means of a rare group of sub-atomic particles, the source of which is as yet unknown, which he is able to contain in magnetic-field "canisters" (the shape of the magnetic lines of force were made visible by the confined particles, whose concentration caused them to behave like a gas).
- These particles, whose wavelength is in the mental range when released, allow Ant-Man to will himself and other objects to reduce in size or enlarge. The mechanics involved having most of the mass of the nucleus of each affected atom convert into energetic particles which take up orbit around the nucleus - thus, although gravitons do not affect these particles, the mass of the original volume remains intact.
- This means a punch delivered by the half-inch high Ant-Man would feel like the blow of a normal-sized man. Ant-Man's reducing particle has no time limit to its potency.
- Phillips has demonstrated the ability to change sizes without application of Pym particle gas.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Michael Phillips (New 52)
- Character Gallery: Michael Phillips (New 52)
- Quotations by Michael Phillips (New 52)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References