- Accept this vow, then: If I must drink blood, let it be the blood of the corrupt -- of those who deserve to die. The blood of the guilty.
- -- Morbius
- -- Morbius
Dr. Michael Morbius was a brilliant scientist born in Greece. He became a Nobel Prize winning biochemist, but suffered from a debilitating blood disease. He developed an experimental treatment involving vampire bats and electroshocks, but its side effects turned him into a sort of pseudo-vampire who needed to consume blood in order to survive. He also gained an aversion to sunlight as well as abilities similar to a vampire such flight, enhanced strength, speed, and a healing factor. His overall appearance changed as well, as he gained fangs, his nose flattened to appear more like a bat's, and his skin became extremely pale. He was also able to spread his disease turning anyone he bites into a living vampires. When he first experienced the change, he killed the assistant who had helped him develop the treatment.
Morbius traveled to the United States by ship, but in his bloodthirst, he slaughtered the crew. He tried to kill himself but failed and took a room at a beach house, where he encountered Spider-Man. Morbius attacked Spider-Man, but their battle was interrupted by Dr. Connors who transformed into the Lizard.
Morbius escaped, but not before biting Connors which partially returned him to normal. Spider-Man and Connors realized that Morbius' blood could be a cure for him and decided to help the Doctor. They tracked him down and after another battle extracted some of his blood, causing Connors to remain in his human state.
Morbius was washed ashore and found by Jefferson and Jacob Bolt, whom he tried to feed on after he revived, turning Jefferson into a vampire himself. Meanwhile, Morbius' fiancé Martine Bancroft tried contacting the Fantastic Four to help Morbius. The Human Torch sought out Morbius' former colleague Hans Jorgenson and joined Spider-man during another battle with Morbius. During the fight, Morbius accidentally killed Jefferson Bolt and fled.
When news of Jorgenson's supposed kidnapping by Spider-Man reached Professor X, an old colleague of Jorgenson, he sent the X-Men to track down Spider-Man. In order to rescue his friend and save Spider-Man, Professor X sent the X-Men out to capture Morbius. After a lengthy battle, the X-Men managed to defeat Morbius and rescue Jorgenson. Jorgenson was able to cure Spider-Man, who thanked the X-Men before leaving them to deal with Morbius.
Morbius saved Amanda Saint from the demonic cult Demon-Fire and helped her in the search for her parents.
Morbius and Martine Bancroft battled Reverend Daemond, and encountered the Caretakers of Arcturus IV. He visited the Land Within, home of the Cat People. Battling their greatest warrior Balkatar, he and Morbius work together to take down Daemond. He was hunted by Blade the vampire slayer until Blade became aware of his plight, the two team-up to battle Daemond. Daemond creates Tara a Psychic vampire. Morbius is able to kill Daemond and Tara. He then first encountered Simon Stroud a CIA agent tasked with hunting him. Together they battled the Helleyes. Morbius, Martine and Stroud battle vampires at Mason Manor.
Legion of Monsters
Morbius joined the chance team Legion of Monsters, who united by chance to investigate the appearance of a strange being called the Starseed. Though Starseed was a benevolent entity, both the Werewolf and Morbius, overcome by their monstrous hungers attacked it. Ghost Rider and Man-Thing attempted to intervene, but Starseed was unable to overcome his fear of Man-Thing and suffered severe burns at Man-Thing's touch. The dying Starseed attempted to cure the Legion of their monstrous forms but was too weak and died little later. Morbius visited his old scientist friend Ronson Slade in hope for a cure to his disease. Ronson, however had become a werewolf and Morbius was forced to kill him.
After Morbius and the Thing battled Living Eraser from Dimension Z, Morbius used the Living Eraser's dimensional transportation devices to return to Earth.
The Empathoid who wished to learn how it felt to be a vampire used Morbius to attack Spider-Man, but Morbius resisted. Spider-Man managed to knock out Morbius, causing the Empathoid to leave his body and possess Spider-Man and battle Morbius once more. He tricked him into a football game and the emotions of all the sports fans overwhelmed the Empathoid, causing it to leave Spider-Man's body and pass out. Spider-Man allowed Morbius to depart.
Driven mad by his bloodlust, Morbius battled Spider-Man again but was restored to his human form when he was hit by a freak bolt of lightning. He remained human for some years, assisting heroes at various times, but his vampiric condition eventually returned.
Powers and Abilities
- Pseudo-Vampirism: Morbius has been transformed into a being similar to a vampire and, as a result, possesses a number of superhuman abilities similar to those possessed by true vampires. However, Morbius isn't a true vampire as the source of his transformation is scientific, not mystical.
- Superhuman Strength: Morbius possesses super-human strength (the extent of which depends on the amount of blood he has ingested and the type of blood). At his peak, Morbius possesses sufficient superhuman strength to lift approximately 1,500 lbs.
- Superhuman Speed: Morbius can run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Morbius' enhanced musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a normal human. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him.
- Superhuman Agility: Morbius' agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Morbius' reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Acute Senses: Morbius' senses of sight and smell are enhanced to levels well beyond that of normal humans. Morbius is able to detect objects with perfect clarity at much greater distances than a normal human. He retains this clarity, even in near-total darkness. He is also able to see into the infra-red end of the electromagnetic spectrum, allowing him to see individuals at night by their body heat. His sense of smell is similarly enhanced, able to detect the scent of blood in the air from miles away.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Also, like true vampires, Morbius possesses an accelerated healing factor that enables him to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissues much faster and more extensively than a normal human. Injuries such as gunshots, slashes, and severe burns, within hours or minutes, depending upon their severity. Though highly developed, Morbius' healing powers aren't sufficient to regenerate missing limbs or organs.
- Fangs & Claws: Like supernatural vampires, Morbius possesses elongated canines that he uses to pierce the flesh of other beings for the purpose of consuming their blood. Morbius can also, however, use his fangs as weapons in very close combat situations. He also possesses a single retractable claw at the tip of each finger. The claws are very sharp, capable of rending human flesh and bone with ease.
- Psionic Gliding: Through mental concentration, Morbius is able to glide through the air over short distances. However, Morbius can only glide at speeds of about 35 miles an hour. While he can run faster than that, Morbius can use this ability while flying over rooftops.
- Mesmerism: Like true vampires, Morbius can hypnotize others if they look directly into his eyes long enough. While under his control, Morbius typically has full control over an individual. If an individual has sufficient willpower, they can resist or overcome this power.
- Vampire Creation: Like true vampires, Morbius is able to transform individuals into pseudo-vampires like himself by draining them of all their blood. Morbius has control over the pseudo-vampires he creates, just as supernatural vampires have mental control over the vampires they create. The ones Morbius creates possess superhuman strength but they don't have accelerated healing powers. Upon receiving lethal injuries, their bodies turn to dust.
- Immunity To Most Vampire Vulnerabilities: As Morbius isn't a supernatural vampire, he is immune to all of the special mystical vulnerabilities that they have. He is unaffected if confronted with religious icons and will not incinerate if exposed to direct sunlight. Morbius does tend to rest during the hours of the day but most supernatural vampires fall into a dormant, death-like state during the day. Though he does rest, he doesn't have to line his sleeping area with soil from the land of his birth whereas supernatural vampires must do so otherwise they're unable to travel more than 100 miles. Morbius has no special vulnerability to objects of weapons composed of silver. While he can be injured by weapons made of silver, he'll heal normally as he would from other injuries whereas injuries inflicted by silver on supernatural vampires take much longer for them to heal from, if they're not killed outright. Morbius also won't be killed by having a wooden stake driven through his heart.
Morbius is extremely intelligent, having won the Nobel Prize for biochemistry. While he has had no formal training, Morbius' powers make him a formidable combatant against most individuals.
The one true weakness Morbius has that supernatural vampires possess is that he must regularly ingest fresh blood in order to maintain his physical and mental vitality. He must generally feed several times a week, though he can go for long periods without feeding if he pushes himself. However, the longer he goes, the weaker he becomes and the more likely he is to lose control. While he can't be killed by sunlight, his eyes and skin are sensitive to exposure to sunlight.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Michael Morbius (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Michael Morbius (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Michael Morbius (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References