Marvel's Iron Man 2 is a 2010 live-action film produced by 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios, it is a sequel to the widely successful 2008 superhero movie, Iron Man. It is the fourth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and was released worldwide on May 7th 2010.
Iron Man was a large success for Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox alike, and a sequel was instantly announced in June of 2008, with almost all of the cast signing on to return. Jon Favreau was very interested in continuing the franchise, having an interest of using another classic Iron Man villain and adapting the popular Armor Wars story arc into film. In 2009 Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell were cast as two villainous roles. They were in the middle of the year revealed to be Crimson Dynamo and Justin Hammer respectively.
It was also confirmed in mid-2009 that Clark Gregg would return as Agent Phil Coulson from Black Widow and Hawkeye, as he was a popular breakout character from the movie, and would help it connect to the larger universe. It was also less complicated to get Gregg on the film so late into production, as opposed to the likes of Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner or Samuel L. Jackson. The film ran smoothly as shooting as well as post production began as scheduled, much to Disney and Marvel's relief.
It was also rumored that Jon Favreau would try to co-adapt the Demon in a Bottle story arc for the movie to run side-by-side to Armor Wars. Though he did deny that he would do the Arc exactly as 616 did, he claims he took inspiration from it and was going to be "producing a lot of similar themes" related to Demon in a Bottle. Which all but confirmed it would be playing a part in the movie.
The film was released on May 7th 2010
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko/Crimson Dynamo
- Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer
- Don Cheadle as Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes/War-Machine
- Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts
- Paul Bettany as J.A.R.V.I.S. (Voice)
- Jon Favreau as Harold "Happy" Hogan
- Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson
- Kate Mara as Janice Cord
- Garry Shandling as Senator Paul Boynton
- Leslie Bibb as Christine Everhart
- Eugene Lazarev as Anton Vanko
- John Slattery as Howard Stark (Cameo)