The past of the Mad Thinker is a complete mystery. Having operated under a number of aliases over the years, his real name is also unknown. He has claimed to have worked in the private sector over a decade before the modern age. He also has claimed to have a sister and a nephew named David. He had stated that early on in his career he allowed his nephew to observe his experiments. However, when he created a thermoconductor device, it killed his sister and mutated his nephew. The Thinker then had David put in stasis while he tried to find a way to deal with him.
A genius, the Mad Thinker became obsessed with probabilities, developing massive computers to determine the outcome of future events. With these machines he began working with various criminal gangs in New York City. He was able to predict precise moments in time where the police could be thwarted while chasing his clients. He was able to predict things like when a hot dog vendor would impede a foot chase, to where pipe mains would burst making a police chase impossible. So skilled was the Mad Thinker, he could even predict something as weirdly specific as a organ-grinder's monkey setting fire to a deserted shack where incriminating evidence was held. Establishing himself in the criminal underworld and earning the trust of many of New York's gangs, the Mad Thinker then set for higher aspirations, namely the conquest of New York and then the world.
Powers and Abilities
- Computer Link: At present, the Thinker has a surgically implanted, biochemically powered, high-frequency, pulse-code modulated radio link to his laboratories, permitting him to be in mental contact with the full range of his private facilities while serving his sentence in prison. This link also enables him to project his consciousness from his body into an android simulacrum of himself.
- Computer Mind: The Mad Thinker has great intellectual and cognitive abilities, as well as vast mechanical genius. His brain is so naturally adept at higher mathematics that he can perform unaided mental calculations such as finding large, complex, and imaginary square roots, solving equations including vectors, Boolean logic, probability and statistics, differential and integral calculus, and computing analytic functions. He has an eidetic memory, and is able to recall 99.99% of everything he sees, hears, or reads. The Mad Thinker's brain is like an organic computer. By "programming" it with all the relevant data possible, he is able to mentally calculate event probabilities to two decimal places. The only thing that ever works against his probability forecasts is what he calls the x-factor, certain variables of which he is unaware and thus is unable to use in his computations. The Mad Thinker is not an intuitive genius like Reed Richards, capable of creating and inventing: he can only synthesize for his own use what has already been created or invented by others. Although the Thinker has mastered many areas of science, his specialties are computer design, in which he has no known equals, and robotics. However, he has apparently contributed no original discoveries to any of these areas.
The Mad Thinker possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in no regular exercise.
- Hypno Lens: The Mad Thinker's only frequently used personal weapon is a monocle-sized hypno-lens, capable of mesmerizing anyone who looks at it.
- Computers: The Mad Thinker uses many computers to gather and store information for him. These computers constantly augment his base of knowledge about the world around him and recheck his mental calculations to eliminate as much error as possible.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Mad Thinker (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Mad Thinker (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Mad Thinker (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·
Links and References