Powers and Abilities
- Persuasion: the ability to force others to obey one's spoken imperatives through her hypnotic voice. Her powers allowed her to manipulate even powerful telepaths with nothing but the sound of her voice. Once within her control, the hypnotic effect would either fade away after or Lorelei would reassert it, unless Lorelei left a post-hypnotic suggestion. The exact time that she was able to keep a person hypnotized was known to vary from person to person, depending on that person's willpower. In the case of mutants or super-humans, they were able to use their abilities for Lorelei's purposes. Under Lorelei’s control, her victim obeyed her as much as they possibly could. For example, she can't tell someone to stop their heart from beating because her victim wouldn't have any conscious control of that bodily function. Also, she can't command someone to do a summersault if the victim isn't limber enough to do so. The true limits of the power may extend to outright killing of the victim through pure power of persuasion.
- Voice: Her power requires active concentration: not every suggestion Lorelei makes has an unnaturally persuasive effect; she has to intentionally use her power.
- Hypnotic Induction: When using her power, her voice takes on an unworldly, seductive, soothing, slightly deeper, and softer tone. The tone of her voice causes her victims to enter a hypnotic (zombie-like) state. Therefore, Lorelei has to use her power to first cause someone to enter the hypnotic state or trance before giving them commands.
- Forms of Suggestion: Once her victim has entered the hypnotic state, Lorelei can make direct verbal suggestions, "indirect" verbal suggestions such as requests or insinuations, metaphors and other rhetorical figures of speech, and non-verbal suggestion in the form of mental imagery, voice tonality, and physical manipulation, depending on what materials she has on her. Lorelei tends to make direct verbal suggestions in a combat situation because it takes Lorelei more time to perform the other forms of suggestion.
- Domination: Once in the trance, her victim can be subjected into hypnotic commands by anyone; however, only through the use of Lorelei's hypnotic voice, will the victim subject themselves to any command they are capable of accomplishing that they may not have been normally willing to do on their own. If given a command by someone else, the victim will only give into commands that they are normally willing to do.
- Group Control: If she speaks to group of people, she is able to control the entire group.
- Self-Hypnosis: a form of hypnosis which is self-induced, which makes use of self-suggestion. Lorelei can use this technique upon herself to gain beneficial effects that she can place in others, including the following: pain management, stress relief, habit control, overcoming fears, and increasing performance.
- Post-Hypnotic Suggestion: post-hypnotic suggestion can be used to change people's behaviour after emerging from hypnosis. Post-hypnotic suggestions can be set by Lorelei. She may optionally include a time scope. This post-hypnotic suggestion is an altered sense of perception or behavioral pattern that may be "programmed" into the person under hypnosis. Certain sequences of events may be set as triggers to enter or exit the post-hypnotic pattern. The behavior patterns resemble conditioned reflexes, though administered without classical behavior alteration techniques. For example, she is able to implant key phrases into a victim's mind so that she or another person could control the victim (e.g. "wax off" causes the person to become submissive, while "wax on" causes the person to become extremely violent).
- Memory Tampering: She usually uses her abilities in such a way that the person regained consciousness with little or no memory of their previous activities under her command. Lorelei could also describe fake memories, and she would implant these false memories that could erase existing ones and shape a completely new personality.
- Illusions: She can use her abilities to create illusions, making the victim see things that Lorelei describes to be present.
- Love Induction: ability to influence human beings with a certain pitch of her voice, causing them to fall in love with her without regard to gender or sexual orientation.
- Siren Song: She is capable of emitting an astonishingly beautiful and enchanting song that is capable of luring anyone who hears it to come towards him.
- Prehensile Hair
- Highly Resilient Hair: Lorelei possesses a long, thick head of hair, every strand of which has greater tensile strength, modulus of elasticity, and shear resistance than an iron wire of the same thickness (average hair diameter: .045 inches), as well as the psychokinetic ability to animate her hair for a number of feats. Her hair, approximately 3 feet in length while relaxed, can elongate to almost four-times its normal length with only about a 25% loss of overall tensile strength. One strand of hair, 2-feet long, can support 6.4 pounds, a list-sized lock of hair can support about 750 pounds and her whole head of hair can lift about 3,200 pounds (1.6 tons). A portion of her hair must be used to anchor the rest at these greater weights, so that more than her scalp/skull is used as a brace.
- Psychokinetic Hair Manipulation: Lorelei can control the movement of her hair as if it were countless thin appendages growing from her head. A psionic field permeates her hair-cells, causing mutual attraction across the gaps between strands. These relatively small forces operate in conjunction to develop larger forces. Through concentration, she can psionically move her hair in any manner imaginable. She can snap the length of it through the air like a whip (the tip of which moves faster than the speed of sound), or rotate it in a fan-like manner. She can bind persons or objects with it as if it were rope or use it to lift objects which weigh more than she could lift with her arms. (Her scalp, skull, and neck do not support the weight of an object that she lifts: it is held aloft by the psionic force coursing through the hair.) Medusa can also perform delicate manipulations with her hair such as lock picking or threading a needle, and such complex acts of coordination as typing or shuffling a deck of cards. Although she has no nerve endings in her hair, she can "feel" sensations on all parts of her hair by a form of mental feedback from her psionic field.
- Quick Hair Growth: If cut, her hair regrows extremely quickly.
- Master Seductress: She is an expert in the field of seduction. Lorelei has been infamously known to bend many different men to her will and sometimes even get them to do her bidding for her without any use of her hypnotic abilities. She sometimes continues deceiving certain men through means of acting if she still has a further use for them.
- Graceful Dancer: Lorelei is a profound dancer.
- Exotic Dancer: Lorelei has become very adept in various arts of exotic/seductive dancing.
- Master Actress: Lorelei has learned to easily act however she wishes under even the most trying circumstances. This ability aids her in her feat of seducing others, as well as act as a spy.
- Competent Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Due to training with her fellow Acolytes, Lorelei has gained the basic essentials for hand-to-hand combat; however, Lorelei tends to try to hypnotize her opponents in a confrontation or use her hair if she doesn't have the time or ability to hypnotize her opponent.
- Lorelei's body: has the strength of normal human female with moderate regular exercise.
- Lorelei's hair: has the strength to lift approximately 1.6 tons.
- Susceptibility: Sometimes, Lorelei's suggestions do not compel instant obedience. She sometimes has to repeat commands before her victims obey depending on the strength of the will of her victim.
- Vocalization: Lorelei's power of persuasion requires speech to initiate the hypnotic trance (so, it would not work if she were gagged), and requires the affected individual to understand the spoken commands and be able to act on them.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Unlike most other counterparts of Lorelei, Earth-515's Lorelei is able to hypnotize both men and women.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Lorelei Travis (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Lorelei Travis (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Lorelei Travis (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.