Born to Mutants Azazel and Mystique in the Savage Lands. Due to Azazel and Mystique coming to a massive disagreement causing them to separate and Azazel not wanting anything to do with the baby, who at the time had not been named yet, abandoned Mystique and the baby.
Suffering from postpartum depression, as well as the heartbreak of separating from Azazel she decided she wasn't ready to be a mother and abandoned the baby in a basket in a river stream.
The baby would survive and would be saved by German gypsy woman; Margali Wagner. She would take him back with her to the circus she was travelling with, care for him and name him Kurt and would go on to raise him, despite his appearance. Long before his teleportation power emerged, Wagner had tremendous natural agility and by his adolescence he had become the circus's star acrobat and aerial artist.
At sixteen years old, Kurt would get into an argument with the circus' wingmaster, whom he always had a bad relationship with, after he tried to get Margali to do something she didn't want to. Because of this argument, Kurt was attacked by the ringmaster and his men, Margali told Kurt to flee.
Kurt would be cornered in the woods with the ringmaster and his men pointing guns at him, as they are about to shoot him, the stress of the situation and Kurt's adrenaline levels triggered his mutation and caused him to teleport. Kurt teleported somewhere else in the woods and decided to flee the current country he was in.
Joining the X-Men
Some weeks after New York was attacked by a giant entity, Kurt migrated to New York and had heard of a safe haven for Mutants, Xavier's School For Higher Learning. Kurt would travel to Westchester where he would meet with Charles Xavier and tell him of his life and how he needed someplace to stay. Charles would agree to allow Kurt to stay without hesitation.
While travelling, Kurt had read of the X-Men's efforts and was inspired by them, a few days later he would ask Charles if he could join the X-Men to which he agreed. Weeks later, other new mutant, Kitty Pryde would also enroll at Xavier's and he would befriend her to them both being newcomers. Kurt would go on to develop a crush on Kitty and was heartbroken upon discovering of Kitty's relationship with Quicksilver.
One day the X-Men were contacted by the new King of Wakanda T'Challa Udaka aka the Black Panther for help against Ulysses Klaue and some mercenaries who had come to Wakanda to steal Vibranium. On the X-Jet to Wakanda, Storm would seem...silent, the others would notice this and Quicksilver would ask her what's wrong which would lead Cyclops to inform Quicksilver that Wakanda is Storm's home and she is worried, although Storm would tell the rest of the team that that wasn't only what she was nervous about, she would then tell the team of her and T'Challa's history before she joined the X-Men and before he became King.
Upon arriving to Wakanda, the X-Men would be greeted with hostility from the natives, even Storm couldn't keep the heat down until T'Challa, in his Black Panther gear, would order his guards off and welcome the X-Men to Wakanda. Black Panther would take them into the city and brief them on Klaw's partners, they were the Juggernaut, the Radioactive Man, Batroc the Leaper and the Black Knight and tell them that he had received intel detailing that Klaw and his mercenaries were planning on attacking the Royal City.
After a day of relaxation, rest and being treated well by the Wakandans. The X-Men were ready to help defend the Royal City from Klaw, when Klaw and his mercenaries arrived the Black Panther would go on to fight Klaw on his own while the X-Men would combat the mercenaries. The X-Men would eventually defeat the mercenaries and save the Royal City, shortly after Black Panther would return with Klaw's unconscious body and thank the X-Men for helping him and declared them friends and allies to Wakanda.
Powers and Abilities
Teleportation: Ability to teleport himself, the clothes he is wearing, and within limits a certain amount of additional mass which is in contact with him. He teleports by displacing himself into the Brimstone Dimension, traveling through it, and then returning to his own dimension at a certain distance from his point of departure. He consciously determines his point of return. The entire process occurs so quickly that Nightcrawler is unaware of being in the Brimstone Dimension at all. Nightcrawler guides himself through the Brimstone Dimension by a subconscious, natural direction-finding sense. Although Nightcrawler controls his teleportation ability with his conscious mind, his power to teleport is not psionic. Rather it is the result of an unknown biochemical/biophysical reaction which he triggers mentally. When he disappears in teleporting, Nightcrawler leaves behind smoke with a stench reminiscent of burning brimstone. This is a small portion of the atmosphere of the Brimstone Dimension that escapes while the aperture is open. His teleportation is invariably accompanied by the muffled sound of imploding air rushing to fill the vacuum left where Nightcrawler's body was, creating his signature *BAMF* sound. Nightcrawler's powers automatically displace liquids and gases when he arrives in the course of a teleportation. His powers will not displace solids, however, putting him at risk for materializing inside solid matter, causing serious injury or death. As a consequence, Nightcrawler typically teleports only to places he has been to before or knows the layout of, or line-of-sight teleportation (even though his actual range is much further). Kurt's intuitive spatial awareness allows him to track his movements instinctively and with greater precision than the average person, helping him to pinpoint locations for a "blind" teleport. Nightcrawler can use his powers offensively by grappling with an enemy and teleporting him or her in a series of rapid jumps. The strain of these "multiple ports" can exhaust foes without superhuman endurance while Nightcrawler remains strong enough to continue fighting. The limits to the mass that Nightcrawler can carry with him while teleporting, and the limits to the distance over which he can teleport himself with additional load is unknown. When he transports a passenger over even moderate distances, they both feel weakened and ill, to the point of exhaustion. Teleportation over further distances could be fatal. Through practice, Nightcrawler has increased the mass he can teleport with him. (He once teleported himself and Storm from the center of a small island into the water just off its coast without harming either of them). The upper limits of this capacity are as yet unknown.
- Beacon Teleportation: Kurt has the capacity to lock onto their trans-spatial displacement signature as a means of warping to they're exact location regardless of whether Kurt can see where he's warping or not. Enabling him to teleport over global or even cross dimensional distances so long as he maintains the connection with them, in his own words "Anywhere I go they can go" and vice versa.
- Subconscious Spatial Awareness: Nightcrawler has a very limited subconscious extrasensory ability that prevents him from teleporting himself so that his feet, for example, would materialize below the surface of the local ground. Because this ability is so limited, however, Nightcrawler will not teleport into any place that he cannot see or has not seen in the past. If Nightcrawler teleported himself into an unfamiliar area, he would run the risk of materializing partially or entirely within a solid object. If too much of his body materialized within a solid object, he would probably be killed.
As part of his power, Nightcrawler has also exhibited a limited ability to sense the teleportation of other beings.
- Micro-Suction Discs: Nightcrawler can stick to objects with the surface of his hands and feet. This enables him to scale surfaces.
- Flexible Bone Structure: Nightcrawler's bone structure allows him great flexibility. He can remain in a crouched position for a long time and perform contortionist type feats without causing any damage to his spine.
- Camouflage: He has limited abilities to blend into shadows, both as a result of his indigo fur and his connection to the light-bending attributes of the dimension through which he teleports. This is also the explanation for why he constantly appears in shadow, even in direct light.
- Prehensile Tail: allowing him to grab onto objects with relative ease. His tail is strong enough to not only support his body weight but also lift an adult man completely off the ground. It is deft enough to fight with like a sword or blunt object.
- Night Vision: Nightcrawler's always glowing eyes grant him a marked degree of heightened night vision as well.
- Superhuman Agility: Nightcrawler's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels beyond the human body's natural limits.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Nightcrawler's natural reaction time is enhanced to a level beyond the human body's natural limits.
Master Acrobat: Nightcrawler is an Olympic-class acrobat thanks to his flexible spine that allows him to perform contortionist-like feats and to go long periods in a semi-crouching position without injury.
Master Combatant: He is a skilled hand-to-hand combatant and a master at fencing, which he can even perform with his tail, which is strong enough to support his entire body weight. Martial arts training.
Aviator: He has served as the team's pilot and, with Wolverine, has also been the mechanic of the X-Men's X-Jet.
Medic: He has been the team medic when no more qualified X-Men were around to do so.
Multilingual: Nightcrawler is fluent in various languages due to his youth travelling around Europe as the star performer in a circus and knowing the language of wherever they were that week was very handy. He speaks his native German along with English, French, Spanish, and Italian. Professor X has downloaded both Russian and Japanese into his students minds.
Nightcrawler possesses above average strength of a teenage boy of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise. At his peak, Nightcrawler can lift about 250 lbs.
Despite Nightcrawler's superhuman powers, he is just as susceptible to disease and physical injury as any ordinary human.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Kurt was born in 1998.
- Kurt is a devout Roman catholic.
- Kurt is considered a hipster although it is unintentional.
- Appearances of Kurt Wagner (Earth-1111)
- Character Gallery: Kurt Wagner (Earth-1111)
- Quotations by Kurt Wagner (Earth-1111)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References