Jay was the son of the late Thomas Zebulon, referred to as both "Ty" and "Zeke," and Lucinda Guthrie. Jay's older siblings Sam and Paige were mutants as well, and both had been members of the X-Men. Another of their siblings, Jeb, developed the mutant ability to project electricity from his eyes. His mutant sister Melody is a mutant in her own right. Jay had several other brothers and sisters, and his whole family was generally hated by his home town due to the fact that they all seemed to be developing mutant powers. When Sam and Paige left home to become X-Men, Jay took over the role of the father in the house, feeling that he had to protect his younger brothers and sisters. Before Jay developed powers, he helped his brother Sam rescue the mutant musician Lila Cheney, the mutant Dazzler and a third band member from a plane crash. Lila had been knocked out, rendering her unable to use her teleportation abilities. Dazzler had run out of the sound needed to fuel her light based powers. Jay, risking his own safety, played some music, giving Dazzler sufficient power to help blast an escape route. When Jay himself developed mutant powers, he hid them from his family. However, when performing in his band, playing guitar, he exposed his wings to the crowd as a 'stage gimmick'. Jay fell in love with Julia Cabot, but due to a long feud between the Guthrie’s and the Cabot’s a fight broke out. Jay was struck down by Julia's father, who had acquired and modified super-powered armor. Believing Jay to be dead, Julia dragged Jay's body to the river. She wrapped his arms around her, heading for the deepest part of the river. The two sank to the river's bottom and Julia subsequently drowned. Neither Jay nor Julia were aware of Jay's mutant regenerative powers, but when Jay sank to the bottom of the river, these powers manifested. Jay awoke at the bottom of the river with Julia in his arms. He swam to the surface with her and brought her to the riverbank. When he discovered she was dead, he tried (unsuccessfully due to his healing factor) to stab himself in the heart with a sharp piece of wood. Warren Worthington arrived on the scene, found Jay, and helped him carry Julia's body back to the Guthrie house. After Julia's death, Jay attempted to kill himself a few more times, hoping his healing factor would fail. Eventually his mother sent him to the Xavier Institute against his will. Jay speculated this was just so she wouldn't feel guilty if he tried to hurt himself again. Originally placed with the Hellions squad, he traded places with Wither and joined the New Mutants. In New X-Men: Academy X, he is portrayed as a sullen, withered loner who keeps mostly to himself, but he always reminds his teammates how fortunate they are to be a "family" when they feud. His team seems to talk to him about their problems, as he isn't usually one to join the fights. Icarus was one of the few of the New Mutants Squad team selected to join the elite trainee X-Men team.
Powers and Abilities
- Wings: Icarus can fly by means of his natural wings. Fully feathered like a bird's wings, Jay's wings' flexible skeletal structure enabled him to press them to the back of his torso and legs with only the slightest bulge visible under his clothing. It could be assumed that like Angel, Icarus could reach a height of 10,000 ft. with little effort. With severe strain he could reach the highest recorded altitude of a bird in flight, but he could only remain at that high for several
minutes. He could fly nonstop under his own power for a maximum of approximately 12 hours.
- Enhanced Human Regeneration: He regenerated and healed hundreds of times faster than a normal human.  Thanks to this superhumanly regenerative "healing factor", he was able to completely heal from injuries which would prove fatal to most humans, even with superhuman abilities. However, Icarus revealed that a wound near his heart never fully healed, though this could just be metaphorical. His healing factor came from the natural regenerative enzymes secreted by his wings. It is currently unknown if his healing factor cured diseases or if he could heal through blood transfusion like Angel.
- Possibly Healing: Jay was considered kind of an healer by David Alleyne.
- Peak Human Strength: Jay has greater strength than what his size, age, and build would suggest. He was, like Angel, capable of lifting 500 lbs. at his peak.
- Superhuman Stamina: Jay's muscles produced far less fatigue toxins than an ordinary human's. This allowed him to operate at peak capacity for several hours before the buildup of these toxins in his blood would begin to impair him. It is likely that he could fly for about 12 straight hours like angel before beginning to tire.
- Superhuman Durability: Jay's body, while far from invulnerable, was far more resistant to blunt force trauma than an ordinary human. This was mainly so that he was able to withstand large amounts of friction while in flight.
- Aerial Adaptation: Icarus's entire anatomy was naturally adapted to flying. His bones were hollow, like a bird's, making him weigh far less than usual for a male of his build. His body was virtually devoid of fat and possessed greater proportionate muscle mass than an ordinary human did. His eyes were specially adapted to withstand high-speed winds which would hurt the average eye. He possessed a special membrane in his respiratory system enabling him to extract oxygen from the air at high velocities or altitudes. Icarus's physical adaptations gave him incredible protection against damage from falling.
- Vocal Manipulation: He possessed a set of vocal cords that produced a sonic frequency beyond the range of human capability as well as creating multiple sounds or voices at once. The vocal ability allowed for more vocal control, such as hypnosis. He could also copy any sound he had heard or imagined.
Musical Talent: Icarus played the Guitar and regardless of his mutant ability, is an excellent singer as well.
His power to heal came from his wings, without them his healing factor didn't work.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
Jay is a deeply spiritual individual, though for reasons unknown, he kept this mostly to himself - sharing such with only a chosen few.
Given his wings and healing powers, Jay is sometimes considered to be a Cheyarafim by fans.
After Julia's death Joshua learns that Kimberly Frost of the Frost sisters had a crush on him and both began dating
- Appearances of Joshua Guthrie (Earth-16160)
- Character Gallery: Joshua Guthrie (Earth-16160)
- Quotations by Joshua Guthrie (Earth-16160)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References