Jay was the son of Thomas Zebulon, referred to as both "Ty" and "Zeke," and Lucinda Guthrie. Jay's older siblings Sam and Paige were mutants as well, and both had been members of the X-Men and the Hellfire Club respectively. Another of their siblings, Jeb, developed the mutant ability to project electricity from his eyes. His sister Melody was also a mutant. Jay had several other brothers and sisters, and his whole family was generally hated by his home town due to the fact that they all seemed to be developing mutant powers. When Sam and Paige left home to become part of the Hellfire Club, Jay took over the role of the father in the house, feeling that he had to protect his younger brothers and sisters.
Before Jay developed powers, he helped his brother Sam rescue the mutant musician Lila Cheney, the mutant Dazzler and a third band member from a plane crash. Lila had been knocked out, rendering her unable to use her teleportation abilities. Dazzler had ran out of the sound needed to fuel her light based powers. Jay, risking his own safety, played some music, giving Dazzler sufficient power to help blast an escape route.
When Jay himself developed mutant powers, he hid them from his family. However, when performing in his band, playing guitar, he exposed his wings to the crowd as a 'stage gimmick'.
Jay fell in love with Julia Cabot, but due to a long feud between the Guthries and the Cabots a fight broke out. Jay was struck down by Julia's father, who had acquired and modified super-powered armor. Believing Jay to be dead, Julia dragged Jay's body to the river. She wrapped his arms around her, heading for the deepest part of the river. The two sank to the river's bottom and Julia subsequently drowned. Neither Jay nor Julia were aware of Jay's mutant regenerative powers, but when Jay sank to the bottom of the river, these powers manifested. Jay awoke at the bottom of the river with Julia in his arms. He swam to the surface with her and brought her to the riverbank. When he discovered she was dead, he tried (unsuccessfully due to his healing factor) to stab himself in the heart with a sharp piece of wood. Warren Worthington arrived on the scene, found Jay, and helped him carry Julia's body back to the Guthrie house.
After Julia's death, Jay attempted to kill himself a few more times, hoping his healing factor would fail. Eventually his sister, Paige, tried to force him to join the Hellfire Club. However, Jay, knowing that his brother Sam had left the Club, flew away to Canada, where he was found by the Alpha Flight. After opening up to Northstar, the mutant hero decided to communicate with Professor X in order to enroll Icarus in Xavier's School.
Powers and Abilities
Wings: Icarus can fly by means of his natural wings. Fully feathered like a bird's wings, Jay's wings' flexible skeletal structure enables him to press them to the back of his torso and legs with only the slightest bulge visible under his clothing. It could be assumed that like Angel, Icarus can reach a height of 10,000 ft. with little effort. With severe strain he can reach the highest recorded altitude of a bird in flight, but he can only remain at that high for several minutes. He can fly nonstop under his own power for a maximum of approximately 12 hours.
- Enhanced Human Regeneration: He regenerates and heals hundreds of times faster than a normal human. Thanks to this superhumanly regenerative "healing factor", he is able to completely heal from injuries which would prove fatal to most humans, even with superhuman abilities. However, Icarus revealed that a wound near his heart never fully healed, though this could just be metaphorical. His healing factor comes from the natural regenerative enzymes secreted by his wings. It is currently unknown if his healing factor cures diseases or if he can heal through blood transfusion like Angel.
- Possibly Healing: Jay is considered kind of a healer.
- Peak Human Strength: Jay has greater strength than what his size, age, and build would suggest. He is, like Angel, capable of lifting 500 lbs at his peak.
- Superhuman Stamina: Jay's muscles produce far less fatigue toxins than an ordinary human's. This allows him to operate at peak capacity for several hours before the build up of these toxins in his blood would begin to impair him. It is likely that he can fly for about 12 straight hours like Angel before beginning to tire.
- Superhuman Durability: Jay's body, while far from invulnerable, is far more resistant to blunt force trauma than an ordinary human. This was mainly so that he is able to withstand large amounts of friction while in flight.
Aerial Adaptation: Icarus's entire anatomy is naturally adapted to flying. His bones are hollow, like a bird's, making him weigh far less than usual for a male of his build. His body is virtually devoid of fat and possesses greater proportionate muscle mass than an ordinary human does. His eyes are specially adapted to withstand high-speed winds which would hurt the average eye. He possesses a special membrane in his respiratory system enabling him to extract oxygen from the air at high velocities or altitudes. Icarus's physical adaptations give him incredible protection against damage from falling.
Vocal Manipulation: He possesses a set of vocal cords that produce a sonic frequency beyond the range of human capability as well as creating multiple sounds or voices at once. The vocal ability allows for more vocal control, such as hypnosis. He can also copy any sound he had heard or imagined.
Musical Talent: Icarus plays the Guitar and regardless of his mutant ability, is a excellent singer as well.
His power to heal comes from his wings, without them his healing factor doesn't work.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: His own flight
Weapons: None known.
- Jay is a deeply spiritual individual, though for reasons unknown, he keeps this mostly to himself - sharing such with only a chosen few.
- Given his wings and healing powers, Jay is sometimes considered to be a Cheyarafim by fans.
- Icarus' sprite was made by User:Sunder4321.
- He was previously seen with a tattoo on his arm, but later it was no longer present. His healing power removed it.
- Icarus's relationship with Julia Cabot has often been compared to Romeo and Juliet. Even his lines with her are a modern version of the lines in Romeo and Juliet. The only difference is that Julia kills herself and Icarus comes back from being seemingly dead instead of the other way around.
- Icarus took his name from a character in a Greek myth named Icarus, who made wings out of wax and fell to his death after flying too close to the sun. Icarus didn't choose his name because of the Greek Icarus's wings, he chose it as a metaphor for, as he says, "how far I've fallen".
- Exactly half of the Guthrie kids are mutants (Cannonball, Husk, Icarus, Aero, and Jeb).
- Appearances of Joshua Guthrie (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Joshua Guthrie (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Joshua Guthrie (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References