While working as a carnival mentalist, Jason Wyngarde was enlisted by Magneto to serve as member of the original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Magneto sought to protect his fellow mutants from persecution by conquering humanity and ruling the world himself. As Mastermind, Wyngarde helped the Brotherhood in pursuit of this goal. With his teammates, the Brotherhood battled the original X-Men repeatedly, but the X-Men continually thwarted them.
Powers and Abilities
Illusion casting: Mastermind is a mutant with the power of illusion casting. He can psionically cause other people to see, hear, touch, smell, and/or taste things which to not actually exist. For example, he can seem to make a solid wall appear in an empty space. He can also cause people to see, hear, touch, smell, and/or taste real things in ways that they would not do naturally. For example, he can make himself look and sound like a different person, or look and feel like a wall, or even seem invisible. Since his power only affects the mind, his illusions cannot be recorded on film or tape or by other means. However, his power works so strongly on the mind that even if his victim or victims know they are being subjected to an illusion, they will still react to the illusion as if it were reality unless they can rid themselves of all suspicions that it is indeed reality. Hence, if Mastermind creates the illusion of a wall, most people, even if they know it is an illusion, will still be unable to walk through it. Invariably Mastermind's illusions are so realistic that most people are unable to help having the feeling, at least subconsciously, that they are not illusions but reality.
- Limited Memory Manipulation: Mastermind can use his illusions to re-write the memories of impressionable minds such as children. This process is often flawed, however.
- Special Limitations: Everyone within the range of his power, which can extend over an entire city, will see his illusions.
- Genius Intelligence: Dr. Jason Wyngarde was one of the world's leading geneticists in the study of superhumanly powerful mutants.
Mastermind possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in no regular exercise.
Without artificial aids, Mastermind cannot cause only one person among many who are present to see his illusions.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Mastermind's sprite was made by M:AAFF Wiki's User:L0rd G4M3r.
- Mastermind often uses his powers to give himself an illusory handsome appearance.
- Appearances of Jason Wyngarde (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Jason Wyngarde (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Jason Wyngarde (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References