Janet van Dyne was the daughter of world-renowned scientist Vernon van Dyne and the daughter of an Asian mother. She is a mutant who could generate a wasp-like sting which she discharged through her hands. Early in her life, she was a flighty, self-centered dilettante living luxuriously on her father's fortune. She was then introduced to her father's colleague Hank Pym Jan van Dyne gradually fell in love with Pym eventually as the pair started going out on dates and eventually dating each other.
Pym and Van Dyne would later become crime fighting partners under the identity of Ant-Man and Wasp.
Powers and Abilities
- Size Reduction: Janet's primary mutant power was the ability to reduce her bodily size through force of will.She retained her normal strength while reduced in size. In addition, Janet was limited by her body's natural neurological reflex that prevented her from shrinking to below a certain size.
- Flight: Janet possesses a winged flight capability that allows her to travel at high speed through the air when reduced in size,She is capable of aerial deceleration to the point where she can hover in place, mostly stationary aside from the rapid beating of her insectoid wings. She usually hides her wings by having them fuse with her skin, in which they take the form of tattoos.
- Bio-Electrical Blasts: Janet is also capable of producing blasts of bio-electrical energy that she called her "Wasp Stings". These stings varied in potency, depending on her size. While her size was reduced, Janet could utilize painful shocks that harmed even superhumanly durable beings. While at full size, however, her blasts would kill a human in the same way that a lightning bolt would.
- Insect Communication and Control: Through the use of her retractable antennae, the Wasp could communicate with and control certain higher insects, in a manner similar to Ant-Man's Helmet. She rarely chose to utilize this ability, however.
Janet earned double Ph.D.s, one in molecular biology.
- Multilingual: Janet could speak fluent English, German and Spanish.
- Skilled Combatant: Janet had adapted to a special kind of hand-to-hand combat that was created by her husband Hank Pym, which takes advantage of the fighter's insect size against a much larger form and physique enabling them to strike pressure points before the opponent even realizes what happened. She was also trained in multiple martial arts and unarmed combat fields by Captain America, making her into an adept combatant.
Janet has the strength of a normal human female of her age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise. The Wasp's strength was boosted when she reduced in size.
The capability of Janet's sting is dependent on her size. Also, at small size, Janet is at risk of getting crushed.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Wasp chose the name Avengers for the SHIELD sponsored team.
- In this Universe, Wasp is a Mutant. She hides this origin from the public.
- Appearances of Janet van Dyne (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Janet van Dyne (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Janet van Dyne (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References