Life and Career
Wolverine was born James Derrick Howlett in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada, the only child of Thomas Logan and Elizabeth Howlett through an affair. After his biological father refused to acknowledge the young mutant despite his mother begging him to take responsibility in raising him, her husband John Howlett, Sr. found out about the affair and decided to raise James and accept Elizabeth's transgressions, and he soon fell in love with him, considering him his own son. Throughout his youth, James was tall, frail and got sick easily, resulting in frequent trips to hospitals. However, James managed to overcome his illnesses and started to grow healthy, much to Elizabeth and John's delight.
Just as James was getting close to his mother and stepfather, Thomas showed up out of the blue and begged Elizabeth to come back to him. James felt a chill through his spine in how dark the man was and he didn't want his mother to get hurt. When Elizabeth refused and informed him that she was happy with her husband and child, Thomas was ready to retaliate, but James got in front of him, telling him not to hurt her. Thomas looked at him angrily, but when John got into the scuffle, Thomas decided to back away. James had never been scared in his life, only to have his mother saying that everything will be okay. But the nightmare was just the beginning. As James continued to grow up, he was told by his mother that he was going to be a big brother, as she was pregnant.
James felt happy that he was going to have a younger sibling, but the joy was abruptly paused when Thomas showed up at the door once more and demands that Elizabeth leave John and come back to him. John told James to go to the kitchen and let him and his mother handle Thomas. As he followed what John said to him, James heard screaming and yelling between the three until suddenly, loud popping sounds rang through the air. Rushing back into the living room quickly, he saw both his mother and father on the floor in a pool of blood, realizing that Thomas pulled out a gun and shot them both. John died instantly, and his mother dies soon after telling James she loved him.
Horrified of what Thomas had done to them, James let out a yell of pain and anger, triggering his mutation -- a pair of bone claws that extended from the back of his hands. He attacked Thomas, critically injuring him right before the police showed up and took him to the hospital before arresting and charging him for murder.
After the tragic incident, James decided to name himself 'Logan' and leave the province of Alberta, ending up in British Columbia, in a town called Lion's Bay, where he met a First Nations man named Jack Greystar, also known as the "Wolf Man" due to his bonding with wolves. He took Logan in after finding him alone and noticed his new mutant powers, for Jack himself was a mutant. He began to homeschool Logan and train him in the use of his new abilities, since Jack could also construct weapons from his bones. They hunted for food and even sparred to enhance his strength, stamina, and agility, and it even made his claws stronger, thus Greystar gave him the nickname 'Wolverine'.
As Logan got older, new powers began to surface, such as regenerative healing, superhuman speed, and enhanced hearing/smell, not to mention having enhanced strength through his X-Gene. He thanked Greystar for everything he had done for him and departed to start on his own, the past of his childhood remaining behind him, even though he misses his mother and stepfather deeply. Getting his passport accepted, he traveled from British Columbia to New York City, where he was encountered by Professor Charles Xavier, who witnessed him fighting a group of gangsters, killing them with his claws, and decided to offer him involvement in a project he was forming.
Reluctantly, Logan agreed and was escorted to a secret laboratory located in a mansion, where he goes under an experiment that covered his claws and skeleton in a metal alloy called Adamantium, which made his bones unbreakable, it even made his regenerative healing stronger and permanently decelerated his aging. After his experiment, Logan became part of the X-Men at the same time Xavier founded the Xavier School for the Gifted Youngsters. Logan remained on the team for years, protecting both humans and mutants from any harm. But soon, scandals within the X-Men occurred, as well as increased tension between the members, and Logan was the first one to leave the team, not wanting to be part of the altercations. After the disbandment of the X-Men, Logan put the hero business behind him and lived a peaceful life, opening up a car shop and even coming out as bisexual, having relationships with women and men, none of which lasted too long.
In the present day, Logan was reunited with Professor X and was informed that he was forming the New X-Men; a new team of mutants. He reluctantly agreed to join, and was able to meet the new heroes and becomes smitten with one member, half-human/half-Atlantean Poseidon, who was dating Geostrike at the time. However, when he was told that Geostrike was killed during a confrontation with the military, Logan decided to (also under Professor X's request) to comfort Cameron, which the latter was peeved by, until he told him about his past, making Cameron realize how hard it is to deal with the loss of the people they love. Logan soon confessed his feelings for Cameron and the two became romantically involved.
Powers & Abilities
Enhanced Mutant Physiology: Logan is a mutant who had been given an Adamantium skeleton through a procedure by Professor X, enhancing his healing and decelerating his aging permanently.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Logan's body naturally regenerates most of the destroyed tissues and organs at a rate which exceeds that of any normal being ant it can be hard for him to control. As for his healing, it doesn't stop Wolverine from experiencing the pain from the wounds nor the pain from pain of his body regenerating itself.
- Contaminant Immunity: Because of his healing ability, Logan becomes virtually immune to any poisons, diseases, virus, and most drugs. For example -- Logan can consume large amounts of alcohol and it's difficult for him to get intoxicated, thus sparing him from getting hungover. Also, he's even spared from the mystical curses of lycanthropy and vampirism thanks to his regenerative healing, meaning he won't turn into a werewolf or become a vampire.
- Psychic Resistance: Logan is very resistant to any psychic or empathic abilities like hypnosis and mind hallucinations. This means that he is unaffected by Psylocke's "Mind Break".
- Decelerating Aging: Thanks to his regenerative healing and the procedure performed by Professor X, Logan was given an extended lifespan by slowing his aging permanently.
Retractable Bone Claws: Logan's main mutant ability is his six retractable foot-long bone claws, three of them within each arm that are housed beneath the skin and muscle. Logan can release these claws, which are slightly curved, between the knuckles of each hand and they were naturally sharp before they were infused with Adamantium, making them stronger than their natural structure, and they can penetrate through any material.
Superhumanly Acute Senses: Logan enhanced senses are combined with a separate mutant ability and his healing factor. His most improved senses are his smell and his hearing, making Logan function at night as much as the daytime.
- Superhuman Hearing: Logan has the ability to hear sounds from a greater distance than any human, meaning if he hears a threat or someone in danger, he will be coming.
- Superhuman Smell: Logan's sense of smell is stronger than a dog's sense of smell. He can track people and objects just by smelling them from a great distance.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanks to the Adamantium infused in his skeleton, Logan's strength increases, meaning that he can withstand high levels of physical pressure. He can even lift any object that is over 800lbs.
- Superhuman Speed: Logan can run a great speed than a cheetah and a track athlete combined.
- Superhuman Stamina: Through his healing factor, Logan is granted superhuman stamina and is partially immune to fatigue toxins, which in result, having greater endurance than regular humans.
- Superhuman Durability: His Adamantium skeleton and his healing factor give Logan the superhuman durability to withstand upcoming attacks from the enemy.
- Superhuman Reflexes and Agility: Logan's reflexes and agility have always been at their highest, but since the procedure, they became highly enhanced beyond the capabilities of the average human body. This means he's able to avoid any projectile or weapon attacks, even though enhanced senses.
- Logan is a very skilled tracker thanks to his superhuman senses.
- Logan is very skilled in martial arts, learning different forms of fighting styles. This is mainly under the training from his adoptive father, Greystar.
- Like most heroes, Logan is very skilled in any weapon he lays his hands on, such as Cameron's Golden Trident of Neptune.
- Outside from being a member of the X-Men, Logan is a very skilled mechanic -- learning how to fix and tune up cars since he owns mainly a muscle car and a motorcycle and often works on them when they break down.
- Logan is polyglot, he's able to learn different languages including French, German, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and even the Wakandan language.
Equipment: His Wolverine suit
Transportation: His motorcycle
Weapons: Adamantium Claws
- Aside from owning a motorcycle, Logan owns a black and red Dodge Challenger.
- Logan in this universe comes out as bisexual, dating both women and men before becoming official with Poseidon.
- It is revealed that Logan is a very terrible cook in the series, according to Professor X, but manages to improve later on.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of James Howlett (Earth-7090)
- Character Gallery: James Howlett (Earth-7090)
- Quotations by James Howlett (Earth-7090)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References