Powers and Abilities
- Robot: Cybernetic interface that can connect to any computer system, electricity generators, lasers, various hidden tools and features.
- Flight: H.E.R.B.I.E. is able to fly.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- When the Fantastic Four was made into an animated series in 1978, the character of the Human Torch was unable to be used, as at the time the character had been optioned separately for use in a solo movie (which never in fact materialized). A popular urban myth contends that the Torch was replaced due to fears that children might attempt to emulate him by setting themselves on fire, but this is not true.
- Needing a fourth member to round out the team, Stan Lee pitched the idea for a cute robot sidekick, and artist Dave Cockrum was commissioned to design it. However, Cockrum disliked the character so much he was eventually replaced by Jack Kirby, who first designed and illustrated the Fantastic Four a decade previous.
- Shortly after the Fantastic Four cartoon premiered in the 1970's, the little robot was introduced to the comics continuity by writer Marv Wolfman and artist John Byrne. As within the Marvel Universe the Fantastic Four have marketed their likenesses for a successful in-universe comic series, H.E.R.B.I.E.'s physical appearance was likewise explained as being based on the animated series based on that comic.
- H.E.R.B.I.E. has been largely disliked by many Earth-616 Fantastic Four fans, not only because he replaced a major character, but because he was designed to be "cute" (and many consider him more annoying than cute). This is often considered an incidence of "jumping the shark".
- Appearances of Humanoid Experimental Robot B-Type Integrated Electronics (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Humanoid Experimental Robot B-Type Integrated Electronics (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Humanoid Experimental Robot B-Type Integrated Electronics (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.