Herman Schultz's parents died when his younger brother, Marty, was a boy. Schultz was usually involved in theft or extortion; a typical day in the life of the Shocker would find him knocking over armored cars or trying to hawk items he previously stole. On one particularly ambitious day, the Shocker held New York City for ransom when he blacked out portions of the city to spell out his criminal moniker, then threatened to black out the entire city unless he was paid one million dollars. On another he terrified a stockbroker into playing the market, for substantial monetary gain.
After several prison terms for robbery, he built a battle suit that sent out shock waves to quickly open safes as well as give himself a one-up on the authorities. The Shocker had the ability to shock his enemies with his hand held vibro-shock units, but because the vibrations were so fierce, he wore a heavily insulated suit. During his first outing as the self-styled "Shocker" he ran into and defeated Spider-Man (the hero was suffering a broken arm at the time) who became Schultz's nemesis.
Early on in his career Shocker often acted as either a thief or subordinate to more prominent mob bosses such as Silvermane.
Powers and Abilities
Engineer: The Shocker is a gifted, and apparently self-taught, engineer who built his battle suit from scratch in a prison workshop. He is also the (self-proclaimed) world's best safe-cracker.
The Shocker possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
- Lack of Confidence: The Shocker has had severe confidence problems during his early years as a super-criminal, however this brief period of shaky confidence appears to be a thing of the past.
- Dependence on his costume: Since Shocker's specialized suit is designed to protect him from the recoil effects of his Gauntlets, damaging or taking away the suit carries the risk of Shocker injuring or killing himself if he tries to use his Gauntlets when in that situation.
- Vibro-Shock Gauntlets: The Shocker has two vibro-shock units that, when activated by a thumb trigger, can project a concentrated blast of air that has been vibrated at an intense frequency. This allows the Shocker to both effectively throw long range vibrational punches, as well as vibrating the structure of something in order to weaken or destroy it. Holding the thumb triggers down for an extended period of time increases the intensity, speed, and even spread of the air blasts. The vibro-shock units were created to open safes by "shaking" them open silently and quickly. Shocker also has a vibrational shield that deflects blows to him & allows him to slip from many a grasp. The feedback from the Shocker's gauntlets is extremely intense (the initial test almost killed him). To guard himself from this, Schultz developed a protective costume consisting largely of yellow quilt patches designed to absorb the shock. The vibro-shock units can add power to his punch via a trip-hammer vibration shock, making his blows a dozen times more potent than normal.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Herman Schultz (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Herman Schultz (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Herman Schultz (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References