Hank was born to Norton and Edna McCoy, as a child he was born with large hands and feet and was superhumanly intelligent. His parents realized they had given birth to a mutant and due to fear of him suffering prejudice, he was heavily sheltered.
In 2006, shortly after his eleventh birthday, his parents discovered a school for mutants like Hank and decided to contact Charles Xavier and enroll him at the school where he can be with people like himself without the fear of being looked down upon.
Hank remained at the school for many years until he graduated in 2013, at the age of eighteen.
Upon returning to the world and attempting to work in the field of science, Hank was met with prejudice against his mutation. After months of being rejected, Hank began to feel ashamed of his condition, he developed a cure for his mutation and instead of acting as a cure, it triggered a Secondary Mutation in Hank and he began to grow fangs, claws, a snout, cat-like eyes and blue fur all over his skin.
Even more ashamed at what he had become, in late 2014, after the Galactus Event, Hank returned to Xavier School For Higher Learning in hopes of getting a teaching position. Eager to have Hank back, Charles agreed and welcomed his former student back with open arms.
Hank would later join the X-Men.
One day the X-Men were contacted by the new King of Wakanda T'Challa Udaka aka the Black Panther for help against Ulysses Klaue and some mercenaries who had come to Wakanda to steal Vibranium. On the X-Jet to Wakanda, Storm would seem...silent, the others would notice this and Quicksilver would ask her what's wrong which would lead Cyclops to inform Quicksilver that Wakanda is Storm's home and she is worried, although Storm would tell the rest of the team that that wasn't only what she was nervous about, she would then tell the team of her and T'Challa's history before she joined the X-Men and before he became King.
Upon arriving to Wakanda, the X-Men would be greeted with hostility from the natives, even Storm couldn't keep the heat down until T'Challa, in his Black Panther gear, would order his guards off and welcome the X-Men to Wakanda. Black Panther would take them into the city and brief them on Klaw's partners, they were the Juggernaut, the Radioactive Man, Batroc the Leaper and the Black Knight and tell them that he had received intel detailing that Klaw and his mercenaries were planning on attacking the Royal City.
After a day of relaxation, rest and being treated well by the Wakandans, the X-Men were ready to help defend the Royal City from Klaw. When Klaw and his mercenaries arrived the Black Panther would go on to fight Klaw on his own while the X-Men would combat the mercenaries. The X-Men would eventually defeat the mercenaries and save the Royal City, shortly after Black Panther would return with Klaw's unconscious body and thank the X-Men for helping him and declared them friends and allies to Wakanda.
Powers and Abilities
Genetic Atavism: It is possible that Beast's mutation is a result of genetic atavism (or genetic traits that resurface in a species after many years of dormancy). He also possesses neotenous (or traits in a descendant that resemble those of an ancestor organism) characteristics, which would explain why he has a big modern brain with an ape-like physique.
Due to Secondary Mutation, Beast transformed from his original ape-like physique to a more cat-like physique.
- Superhuman Strength: Beast has always possessed some degree of super human strength, as during his teens, he was able to lift approximately 1 ton. After mutating into his simian form, and after this mutation eventually stabilized, his strength was increased to the point where he can now lift about 10 tons, which was sufficient to smash through a brick wall with a single punch and to tie an iron barbell into a knot, as well as smash a tank with his bare hands. He can even punch the ground with enough force to create a massive shock wave. This strength also extends to the muscles in his legs, allowing him to leap 15 feet in a standing high jump and 25 feet in a standing broad jump.
- Superhuman Speed: Beast can run and move at speeds that are slightly beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete, despite his abnormal size. He can run at speeds up to 40 miles an hour over short distances, particularly if he runs on all fours. It also allows Beast to attack opponents before they can react and pull their trigger fingers and keep up with opponents who can move at low-level superhuman speeds.
- Superhuman Stamina: Beast's highly advanced musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than that of an ordinary human. He can exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before the buildup of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him. He also commented that after his mutation into a cat-like form that he no longer needs a full night of sleep, although it is unknown if he still retains this side effect of his stamina after becoming a new ape-like form once again.
- Superhuman Durability: Beast's bodily tissues are harder and more resistant to certain types of injuries than the bodies of normal humans. His physiology can withstand great impact forces, though he can be injured by many types of conventional weapons such as standard firearms and bladed weapons. However, he can withstand physical impacts, such as falling from several stories or being physically struck by many superhumanly strong beings that would either severely injure or kill a normal human with little to no discomfort.
- Superhuman Agility: Beast's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. While in his simian form, he has the agility of a great ape combined with the acrobatic prowess of an Olympic level gymnast. He can walk a tightrope or a slack rope as easily as most people can walk on a sidewalk. He can also walk on his hands for many hours, or perform a complicated sequence of gymnastic stunts such as flips, rolls, and springs. He can easily match or top any Olympic record in gymnastics.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Beast's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are on levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. His training with the X-Men, as well as his experience battling enemies has granted him the reaction time to evade gunfire. He can react at low-level superhuman speeds. His reflexes are a partial reason why the Beast is able to be so agile and fast, despite the abnormal bulk of his ape-like form.
- Superhuman Dexterity: He can perform many tasks with his feet as easily as a human could do with his hands. His manual and pedal dexterity are so great that he can write using both hands at once or tie knots in rope with his toes.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Beast's metabolism enables him to repair mild to moderate injuries much faster than a normal human. For instance, he can recover from minor ailments, such as a severe cold or fever within a few hours. More severe injuries, like broken bones, used to heal within a few days, whereas normal humans might take many weeks or even months. However, his healing abilities have increased to the point where he recovers from mild to moderate injuries within a few hours. But still, he cannot regenerate destroyed organs or severed limbs.
- Superhuman Senses: Hank possesses enhanced, acute senses that are comparable to those of certain animals, enabling him to see and hear distant objects more clearly than a normal human, and identify and track someone purely by scent. He also possesses cat-like night-vision that also allows him to see even in near-total darkness and when asked by Nick Fury, he was able to identify that it was the real Colossus when he came back to life all by scent.
- Minor Pheromone Manipulation: Beast has the ability to secrete pheromones to attract members of the opposite sex.
- Razor-Sharp Claws and Fangs: Beast sports retractable, 3" razor sharp claws at the tip of each finger and toe. Their natural edges, coupled with his strength, are sufficient to rend most conventional materials including flesh, wood, stone, and even metal effortlessly and enable him to climb up vertical surfaces by wedging his fingers and toes into the smallest of cracks. He possesses elongated canines that he can use, if he chooses to do so, as effective weapons in close quarter combat situations.
Genius Intelligence: Dr. Hank McCoy is one of the eight smartest people in the world. He has six PhDs, including one in biophysics. A world-renowned biochemist, Henry McCoy's greatest asset is his keen scientific mind. As the X-Men's resident technological and medical genius, he possesses extraordinary expertise in genetics, biochemistry, and electronics
Excellent Hand to Hand Combatant: The hyperactive, bouncing Beast is an excellent hand-to-hand fighter. He gained his initial combat training from Professor Xavier. He typically uses a freestyle form of combat, similar to that of Spider-Man, that allows him to make full use of his great strength and agility. During times of anger, however, the Beast is known to resort to brawling and street fighting tactics.
Multilingual: He is fluent in several languages including English, German, French, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, and Russian as well as Latverian.
Expert Tactician: He is a capable leader as he has led his own team of Defenders with fellow X-Men Iceman and Angel as teammates. Even when he is not the leader of a team, he has been a key member in some of the greatest team accomplishments, such as helping to rescue Nova on Mars with the Secret Avengers. He is also a great team player.
Indomitable Will: Hank's dedication to science and co-existence between humans and mutants is unwavering. He never gave up on finding a cure for the Legacy Virus in which he eventually did find a cure. He has great compassion for both humans and mutants alike, and his unflagging courage allows him to protect both of them at any cost, even with his own life.
Hank is able to lift 10 tons.
Vulnerable Senses: Due to his animal-like mutation, the only other "weakness" that Beast has is the fact that his heightened senses can be taken advantage of.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Hank was born in 1995.
- Hank was one of Xavier's earliest students.
- Despite being one of Xavier's earliest students, he is a Second Class member of the X-Men.
- Beside Wolverine, Hank is the oldest member of the X-Men, being nineteen-years-old.
- Appearances of Henry McCoy (Earth-1111)
- Character Gallery: Henry McCoy (Earth-1111)
- Quotations by Henry McCoy (Earth-1111)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References