Harvey Elder's bizarre physical appearance caused him to be shunned and ridiculed since childhood. Believing that total loneliness would be better than the cruelty shown to him by other people, the Mole Man decided to exile himself from humanity. He began searching for the legendary land at the center of the Earth.
Finally, when he was about to abandon hope, his skiff washed ashore on a deserted island, which he named Monster Isle. There, the Mole Man discovered a cavern leading deep underground. His enthusiastic shouts triggered an avalanche, which he survived, but at the cost of most of his eyesight.
Nevertheless, the Mole Man made himself ruler of a wide empire in the underground realm he called Subterranea (Subterranea does not actually lie at the center of the Earth, but instead consists of a seemingly planet wide network of caverns lying miles beneath Earth's surface.) In this underground world he discovered a race of semi-humanoid creatures called subterraneans. The Mole Man controlled the race known as the Moloids, which were distinguished from other Subterranean races by their pale yellow skin color. The Mole Man also found and mastered highly advanced technological devices which had been created and abandoned by the race of Deviants. Furthermore, the Mole Man discovered and learned to control a large number of non-humanoid monsters, which either may have been descendants of beings created through genetic manipulation by the Deviants, or may have been uncivilized, in some cases nearly mindless, highly mutated Deviants themselves. The Mole Man also developed a natural "radar sense" that enabled him to sense things in the subterranean darkness.
Powers and Abilities
- Radar Sense: The Mole Man possesses heightened senses that have developed naturally to compensate for his poor vision. Primary among these is his "Radar Sense", which may be similar to Daredevil's, although it is not as acute. The Mole Man's brain has several regions which are able to consciously sense that portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that his brain constantly generates. The signals emanate from the "sending regions", bounce off objects around him, and return to the "receiving regions" of both hemispheres. In this way, he synthesizes a very close analogue of third-dimensional human sight, which supplements his own weak natural vision. Indeed, the combination of the Mole Man's sight and his radar sense makes his awareness of what is around him somewhat superior to the average human's. He can use his radar sense to detect the presence of objects behind him, or in total blackness.
- Scientific Genius: The Mole Man is a scientific genius, who has mastered the principles underlying the Deviant technology that he discovered in Subterranea and has even made radical improvements upon much of it.
- Fighting Skill: The Mole Man has developed a means of fighting with using his staffs that resembles the martial art of kendo.
- Abnormal Sensitivity (Light): Although the Mole Man has adequate vision in dark places, he is blinded by normal light.
- Visor: The Mole Man wears a protective visor that reduces the intensity of normal lighting to comfortable levels.
Transportation: None known.
- * Staves: His stave appears to be an aid to the visually impaired Elder. However, he is quite skilled in their use as a weapon. On occasion, he has used a stave that launches a concussive blast.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Harvey Elder (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Harvey Elder (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Harvey Elder (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References