Groot is a flora colossus who at some point became partners with Rocket and took on an occupation as a bounty hunter. On Xandar he and Rocket spotted Peter Quill and tried to capture the man for the bounty on his head but were immediately embroiled in a three-way conflict with Gamora attempting to acquire the Orb of Morag in Quill's possession. All four were arrested for causing mayhem in the streets and were imprisoned in the Kyln. There they also met Drax who made no secret of his intent to kill Gamora. Upon learning that Gamora was planning on selling the Orb of Morag to the Collector for forty billion units, the four agreed to break out together to split the money.
Forming the Guardians of the Galaxy
Once at The Collector's residing planet Knowhere, Groot, Rocket and Drax took part in some gambling before Groot accompanied Quill, Gamora and Rocket in taking the Orb to the Collector. Groot was quite offended that the Collector showed interest in making use of his corpse upon his death. After learning that the Orb contained something called an Infinity Stone, the Collector's unhappy assistant Carina attempted to grab it, causing an explosion. Groot managed to grab Rocket and get clear of the explosion. When they returned, Gamora announced that the stone was too dangerous to leave in the Collector's care.
The group soon discovered that Drax had called Ronan to Knowhere in a bid to confront the accuser over the killings of his family. A battle took place and Groot, Rocket and Drax became separated from Gamora and Quill. After the fight, Groot located Drax in a pool of yellow liquid, in which Ronan had thrown him, and resuscitated him with a tendril morphed into a makeshift air tube pierced into Drax's lung. Rocket then rejoined them, and broke the news of Gamora and Quill's capture by the Ravagers. Though Rocket wanted to get as far away from the conflict as possible, Groot insisted that they rescue their friends, reminding Rocket that they're the only friends they had ever made. They attacked Ravager leader Yondu Udonta's carrier, demanding the release of their friends, only to learn that Quill had made up with the Ravagers, who had then agreed to help fight Ronan.
After being reunited with the others they formed a plan with the Ravagers to stop Ronan's attack on Xandar. Groot was with Gamora, Drax and Quill as they entered Ronan's ship and helped Drax and Quill fight off Ronan's men. After Quill shot Ronan, the ship began to plummet in an uncontrolled dive. Groot morphed his body into a protective cocoon around his friends to shield them from the impact. Rocket, saddened by this, asked why he would sacrifice himself for the team to which Groot replied, "We are Groot."
Groot was destroyed in the crash, but Rocket found a piece of his body and put it in a flower pot. After the battle, as they left Xandar in the Milano, the piece began to grow.
Powers and Abilities
Flora colossus physiology: Groot has abilities native to his species:
- Strength: Groot's tree like form provides him great strength. He is the strongest member of the group, being able lift many heavy objects including several men on just one arm.
- Durability: Groot's hide is composed of wood dense enough and durable enough to make him immune to most conventional weapons, including gunfire and fire which would consume most woods. He can endure the loss of entire limbs apparently without experiencing pain.
- Cellular Regeneration: Groot has an amazing regeneration factor and has been shown to be able regrow everything from a missing limb to his whole body.
- Spores: Groot has the ability to produce tiny phosphorescent spores that float through the air and offer enough ambient light to illuminate a small area.
- Plasticity: Groot has the ability to stretch his limbs for long distances and reshape them for a variety of tasks. He normally takes the shape of a large tree-like humanoid, but can also weave his limbs into a dense tangle of vines. Individual pseudopods can be grown at will, to act as fingers, rudimentary tools, or even bud a small flower.
- Impaired Communication: Although Groot is able to understand common speech his own speech is limited to the phrase "I am Groot", but he also managed to say two new words: "We" and "are". However, Rocket is able to understand the subtle nuances of Groot's speech, which themselves convey a far more complex language than most can detect.
- Although strong and durable, Groot is still vulnerable to particularly intense fires, as shown when his body was nearly completely destroyed when Ronan's ship crashed.
Equipment: None known.
- Milano: The Guardians of the Galaxy use Star-Lord's ship, the Milano
Weapons: None known.
- Groot is also the dutch word for big, a fitting name for a hero that can increase his size.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Groot (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Groot (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Groot (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·
Links and References