Dr. Elihas Starr was a scientist working at an atomic research center for the government of the United States. He was caught when trying to smuggle drafts of an atomic project, probably to sell them on the open market. He was then fired from the center and was waiting to be judged for treason. However, the criminal world discovered his ordeal because of tabloids (where he was nicknamed "Egghead") and offered him freedom if he was ready to put his intellect to the service of the crime lords.
To prove his skill, the crime lords wanted Starr to defeat the original Ant-Man. Starr developed a device to communicate and control ants, and then competed with the Ant-Man for the loyalty of insects. However, his attempts to win them over using greed and vanity did not work and they revealed Starr's plan to Ant-Man who prepared for the trap and captured the crime lords who were there with him. Starr barely escaped capture and went into hiding in a poorhouse.
Egghead then began working with two escaped crooks in trying to destroy Ant-Man. To this end, Egghead developed the false identity of Professor Carl Striker. Using false credentials of a Zoologist, he put on exhibits on insects and after masterminding the theft of Middleton Diamond he put on a wasp exhibit at the local zoo to lure the Wasp into a trap. It succeeded and the Wasp was captured and Ant-Man was lured into a seemingly inescapable trap. Even with all escapes electrified, Ant-Man bested a lizard and anteater that were set on him and freed the Wasp from captivity. While they managed to capture the two thugs, Egghead managed to escape once again.
Powers and Abilities
Egghead was a scientific genius in many fields, including Biology, Nuclear Physics, Robotics, and Electronics. He was also a gifted engineer.
Normal human male with no regular exercise. In fact, he viscerally rejected physical training.
Equipment: Egghead used equipment designed by himself, including:
- Insect control devices
- Laser satellites
- Mind control devices
- Teleportation devices
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: Egg-shaped devices of his own design which have various properties when thrown. Some of these include:
- an egg which explodes, wrapping its victim in a nigh-unbreakable material
- an egg which electrocutes its victim
- an egg which bursts into a bolo, ensnaring its victim
Egghead has also employed other weapons in the past, such as wrist-blasters.
- No special notes.
- In the slang of the United States, especially during the 1950s, egghead was an anti-intellectual insult directed at people considered too out-of-touch with ordinary people and lacking in realism, common sense and virility on account of their intellectual interest. Vice-presidential candidate Richard Nixon used this term against Presidential nominee Adlai Stevenson. Currently it is rarely used, having been replaced by terms such as nerd and geek (or "liberal elite" in politics).
- Appearances of Elihas Starr (Earth-1010)
- Character Gallery: Elihas Starr (Earth-1010)
- Quotations by Elihas Starr (Earth-1010)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References