Doctor Strange: The Darkhold is an upcoming 2020 film in the Earth-11584 continuity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is the second solo film for the character of Doctor Strange, the 7th film in Phase 4 and 35th film overall in the MCU. Benedict Cumberbatch returns to star as the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, Dr. Stephen Strange, as he attempts to protect the Earth and our dimension from extra-dimensional threats, though he may be sacrificing his own soul by pursuing a book known as the Darkhold in order to do it. The film also sees the return of Mike Colter as Luke Cage, as well as the big screen debut of Finn Jones as Iron Fist in a starring role (Jones appeared in a brief cameo during both Avengers Infinity War and Infinity Gauntlet along with the rest of the "Netflix" heroes.) After the director of the first film, Scott Derrickson, left in early 2019 citing creative differences with Marvel, the film was fast-tracked to completion with director Sam Raimi stepping into film a rewritten script featuring story ideas from Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill.
Summary of Changes
As of writing, it is unknown what similarities or differences this film has from its mainline MCU counterpart, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, though it is assumed that this film is mostly original, due to different origins of the Darkhold in the mainline MCU.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange- A former neurosurgeon turned Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, who protects it and our reality from extra-dimensional threats posed by ancient enemies known as the Faltine.
- Benedict Wong as Wong- A highly skilled sorcerer and trusted friend to Doctor Strange.
- Omar Sy as Jericho Drumm/Brother Voodoo- A Creole based sorcerer and ally of Doctor Strange, who is recruited by Wong to help save Strange from himself.
- Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer- A New York surgeon who now works as the Head of Surgery for Metro General Hospital, who has an on-again/off-again relationship with Strange.
- Mike Colter as Luke Cage- A wrongly convicted ex-convict and "Harlem's Hero", who has unbreakable skin and super strength due to experimentation by AIM scientists and Faltine beings. Currently runs the vigilante service Heroes for Hire with Danny Rand, aka the Immortal Iron Fist.
- Finn Jones as Danny Rand/Iron Fist- A martial arts master trained in the dimensional nexus of K'un-Lun, who is also the owner of Rand Pharmaceuticals.
- Simmone Massick as Misty Knight- A former NYPD detective who works with Luke and Danny at Heroes for Hire.
- Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing- A martial artist and partner to Danny Rand, who also possesses her own powers of the Iron Fist.
- James McAvoy as Victor Modred- A seeming would-be sorcerer who specializes in occult artifacts, including the mystical book the Darkhold, though he seems to have ulterior motives.
- Jeremy Irons as the voice of Dormammu- The ruler of the Dark Dimension who seeks to find a way to conquer our world by merging it with his.
In addition, Tyler Posey briefly appears as William Maximoff/Wiccan, reprising his role from previous Marvel films. Bruce Campbell also has a cameo as an unnamed "witchfinder", similar to his role as Ash in the Evil Dead films. Andrew Matarazzo also appears as Robbie Reyes in a post-credits scene, setting up a future appearance in a Disney Plus series.