Agent for S.H.I.E.L.D.
A former Olympic archer, Clint Barton was freed from death row and became a U.S. intelligence agent over a decade ago. He became a close friend and frequent colleague of fellow agent Nick Fury, and the two operatives were key founders of the modern intelligence agency S.H.I.E.L.D. Both rose through the ranks until Fury became the agency's director and Barton (code-named Hawkeye) became an elite agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s black ops division, often partnered with ex-terrorist assassin and soviet legend Natasha Romanoff (code-named Black Widow). Despite his dangerous, globe-spanning profession, Hawkeye left S.H.I.E.L.D. due to a misunderstanding between him and Director Nick Fury.
Years later, Clint was called back to SHIELD, warning him that that the entire planet was in danger and needed his skills and was told to meet the agents back at the Triskelion for more details. Soon after his deployment back, he was met up by his team including scientists Betty Ross and Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Janet van Dyne, his partner Natasha Romanoff, Agent Coulson, Dr. Jane Foster, the reborn super soldier Captain America and Iron Man who had just arrived with Clint.
Fury then addressed the group saying they were part of Project: Avenger and under the command of Captain America. Then Iron Man walked into the room. Fury explained to them how a secret Hydra fortress off the coast of Norway was built to launch a gem-powered warhead in World War II. Fury showed them pictures that Rebel Ralston had taken. He told the group about how Cap had stopped the missile from reaching America. Betty asked how Hydra got the Infinity Gem's capabilities. Fury told them it was because of shape shifting aliens called the Skrulls. The Skrulls had been hiding out on Earth since World War II. Three ships have been hovering around nuclear power plants and military facilities. Fury went on to explain that the Skrulls failed to reclaim all the wreckage from the ship that was destroyed along with the early gem powered missile. Fury showed them a piece of the hull, made of metal they called Vibranium. The metal is indestructible and absorbs energy like a sponge. Fury warned that stopping this threat may not be easy but Cap and the rest of the group decided to continue including Clint himself.
"More to be Added"
Powers and Abilities
Clint possesses no superhuman abilities. Although, because of his abilities, Nick Fury's intel classified him as power level 4 and reason why he was recruited for the Avengers team.
- Master Archer: Barton is the greatest living marksman on the planet, due to his exceptional reflexes and impeccable hand-eye coordination. Barton is a tremendously skilled master marksman particularly archery who possesses very keen eyesight, and his accuracy is virtually unerring. Barton has extensively trained himself to become a master archer specializing in the use of regular bows, longbows, compound bows, and crossbows with perfect accuracy. He is also a perfect bullseye with any object, from a sniper gun to boomerangs to throwing knives. He is capable of firing multiple arrows at a single target in a few seconds, hitting multiple targets in a few quick strokes, and directly hit small targets in the greatest of distances. He is also able to use bows with either hand in either place. He practices a minimum of two hours per day to keep his skills honed, even after he quit SHIELD.
- Master Assassin: Barton is an excellent assassin, having been a hitman for hire in his early years and was sent by S.H.I.E.L.D. to kill Black Widow, a woman notoriously known for her assassination skills.
- Master Acrobat: Barton possesses exceptional human strength, endurance, and stamina. He is athletic, with very good reflexes and agility. This makes him capable of complex acrobatic maneuvers.
- Expert Martial Artist: Barton is an excellent combatant, having been trained in various forms. Hence he was able to fight Black Widow to a standstill although she eventually bested him in combat in their second fight. Barton also managed to bring down many Skrull troops while fighting alongside the other Avengers, using his bow and arrows as melee weapons for close quarters.
- Multi-lingual: Not only is Hawkeye fluent in English, but also in Russian, Italian, German and American Sign language.
- Expert Pilot: Barton is an accomplished pilot, able to fly a Quinjet even when a fierce battle was going on.
- Expert Stick Fighter: Barton is capable of skillfully wielding a baton in combat, and using his bow as a melee weapon in the manner of an improvised staff. His bow is also capable of transforming into an actual bow staff.
Barton possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intense regular exercise and is considered athletic.
As a child, abuse from his father left him partially deaf, but it's unknown if it was temporary or if it lasted until adulthood, with him successfully hiding it.
Hawkeye's ranged combat superiority is severely restricted by the limited supply of ammunition he can keep with him.
Equipment: He typically carries at least one custom bow and small arsenal of arrows- mostly conventional shafts and a number of trick arrows, utilized to perform specific tasks. Some are fitted with specialized tips. He sometimes employs special weapons, such as flamethrowers or Sniper Rifles. He also employs magnifying goggles.
Transportation: None known.
- Collapsible Recurve bow: The bow is capable of folding on itself (most likely for either easier transport, concealment, or both) that can be quickly snapped into its 'armed' form. It has a selector and transmitter that allows Hawkeye to control his mechanical quiver so that he can acquire certain arrows from it. It also has a laser sight.
This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of Marvel Ultiverse and is an adaptation of Clint Barton/Hawkeye. The original character was created by Stan Lee and Don Heck and first appeared in Tales of Suspense #57.
- Like his 616 counterpart, Blade Runner is his favorite movie.
- Hawkeye is the ex-husband of Bobbi Morse, she is known as Mockingbird in the 616 universe.
- Appearances of Clint Barton (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Clint Barton (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Clint Barton (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References