Carol Danvers is the daughter of Joe Danvers, Sr., a former U.S. Navy officer and construction worker, as well as Mari-Ell, a champion of the Kree. Mari-Ell was then sent on a mission to the planet Earth and given an Amulet of Pam'a to hide her identity. Arriving on Earth she was blown off target and landed in Wichita, Kansas and was rescued by Joe. The two married and she later became pregnant and gave birth to a daughter, Car-Ell; "Champion" in Kree language, which they changed to "Carol" to fit in on Earth.
She was born and raised in Wichita. She dreamed of becoming an astronaut and traveling to distant planets. Her father, however, could not accept women as men's equal, and when financial troubles meant he could only send one child to college, he chose Steve despite Carol's superior grades.
U.S. Air Force
She turned 18 just a few months later, and the following day she turned her back on her father and joined the Air Force, intending to be a pilot and to get a college degree via the military. Her brother Steve's death in military action would eventually draw Carol back to her family, but she still never felt truly accepted by her father. She quickly rose to the top of her Air Force class, taking the call sign "Warbird".
NASA eventually requested her for an open position as head of security which she accepted, resigning from the Air Force bumping her to full Colonel at retirement. Making the youngest security captain in NASA's history. Afterwards, she worked alongside Dr. Philip Lawson in a special satellite base in Colorado. After an attack by an alien Sentry, Lawson revealed himself to be a Kree warrior/scientist known as Captain Marvel. During the battle, an explosion caught both Marvel and Danvers in the middle, causing Danvers to be exposed to the cosmic energy flowing around Mar-Vell. Carol was transferred to a hospital for recovery, where she discovered she had gained powers from her exposure. Carol and S.H.I.E.L.D. later confronted and questioned Captain Marvel on his motives behind allowing the Kree to invade Earth, and Mar-Vell told them that he wanted to help, that humans had so much potential. He stated that he believed that Carol deserved to live, before being corrected by Nick Fury that he meant the human race. S.H.I.E.L.D. and the government dedicated a quiet study on Carol and suggested that it was best for her to hide her powers from the public.
Becoming Ms. Marvel
Mar-Vell then trained Carol how to use her newfound powers in case the Kree decided to invade Earth, she would be ready. As they sparred, Mar-Vell asked Danvers about her dreams, to which she replied that she wanted to go to space and explore other worlds when she was a child and that hasn't changed since. One day, after Carol saw on the news that Flight 616 was going to crash, Carol used her full abilities to help the plane land, saving dozens of people on the plane. Deciding to become a hero, Carol confided her secret to her best friend Monica Rambeau. With Monica's help, a costume was made, and Carol was able to stop many crimes in the city of Colorado, including a bank robbery and car chase. However, she was berated by Mar-Vell and Nick Fury, who expressed their displeasure with Carol that she had revealed herself to the world and potentially grabbed the attention of the Kree. Wanting to learn more about her powers, Carol travelled back to her hometown in Kansas and visited her parents, her mother welcomes her back with a hug even though her father wasn't pleased to see her. Her mother explained the origin of her newfound powers by revealing to her that the she was Kree, and the explosion that she was caught in might've activated her powers. Her father Joe heard this and expressed his disgust towards meta-humans and stated that he was disappointed of what she become. Carol wound up arguing with her father but Marie asked her not to judge her father and told Joe that he should leave and Carol stayed with her mother for awhile. Later, a Kree warrior was sent to earth to capture Marie and Carol and attacked the Danvers' home. Marie was was impaled by a spear thrown from a Kree assassin known as Tanalth the Pursuer when she was trying to protect her, Carol took her mother's body into space, away from Tanalth, where Marie died from her fatal injury in Carol's arms.
Later in her apartment, Monica was seen comforting Carol as she mourned her mother's death. She blamed herself for all of it and if she hadn't tried to play hero, and been careless with her powers, she could've still been alive. Afterwards she was surprised to see Monica walk away with a blank stare, and joined hundreds of other people marching blankly down the street, all under the control of the Kree's super weapon called "Myraid". Carol as Ms. Marvel flies around the city of Denver as she notices Kree ships hovering above the city and are taking the mind controlled humans captive, including Monica. She notices everyone, are now under the Myriad effect. Carol tries to get in contact with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Captain Mar-Vell for help but they're both aren't responding. She then sees one of the Kree ships land on the ground and sees Mar-Vell walking out of the ship with his commander Yon-Rogg, and other Kree troops. The enraged Carol questioned Captain Mar-vell's motives behind allowing the Kree to invade her planet, as she had thought all the time he was in space he was fighting for the rights of the planet. It was only then she realizes that Mar-Vell was under the Myriad effect as well! Yon-Rogg then explained to Carol that they're invading Earth to test humanity that if they're worthy to join the Kree empire, if not humanity will be destroyed. After Carol refuses Yon-Rogg's offer to join their Empire, Yon-Rogg ordered Mar-Vell to kill Carol. Carol and Mar-Vell battled as she kept trying to find a way to reach him. Their fighting spilled into the streets of Denver. Carol was finally able to beat and subdue Mar-Vell, freeing him from the mind control. They were then found by Nick Fury and Maria Hill are both unaffected, due to Mar-Vell's technology.
Showdown with the Kree
When Ronan the Accuser arrived, Danvers sprung to action and flew into the air to stop an incoming barrage of ballistic missiles while Mar-Vell was recuperating. Danvers then launched herself at one and halted it in midair before throwing back into the barrage, causing them to harmlessly detonate in midair. Danvers and Mar-Vell then flew into space to dispatch Ronan's fleet, utilizing they're empowered photon blasts to destroy his ships with one strike. The pair then led an assault on Yon-Rogg's capital ship stationed in Earth orbit, destroying it and rescuing the humans taken aboard by it while S.H.I.E.L.D. on the other hand worked on a counter signal to Myriad. Ms. Marvel and Captain Mar-Vell both engaged Yon-Rogg and Tanalth the Pursuer in battle. They both proved to be very formidable opponents but both the heroes were able to outmatch them fortunately and Carol went to a brodcasting station and successfully broke Myriad's control over the people of Denver, by giving a speech about hope. Seeing this impressive feat of power, Ronan and his fleet fled, but not before remarking that he would be back for Danvers, referring to her as a "weapon." After the battle, both Yon-Rogg and Tanalth were imprisoned in Area 42 by S.H.I.E.L.D. Danvers made amends with her father and was later tasked as second-in-command to the S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Extra-Terrestrial Division known as S.W.O.R.D. Mar-vell revealed that while he was under Myriad's mind control, he convinced the Supreme Intelligence that Earth is a scientific and technological anomaly and must be studied but now Earth is a threat to the Kree and his people will come back with full force, which Ms. Marvel replied "We'll be waiting then."
"More to be added!"
Carol Danvers is kind, caring, selfless, intelligent, brave, and has a sense of justice, honor and good morals, however, when she makes mistakes, she feels guilt and remorse for her actions. Before becoming a superhero, Carol was dedicated in her work and achievements, She believed in keeping a professional level in dealing with other coworkers. Even without powers, she was shown to be brave and bold. After losing her mother, Carol was troubled but she was still optimistic and good-natured. After joining The Avengers she has become the kind of hero who will beat criminals up but also try to help them. She was shown to have a dry wit and that she has a short temper. She also seems to be quick to judge others if deemed necessary.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: Carol is superhumanly strong. However, since she is able to absorb various types of energy, she can use this energy to temporarily increase her physical strength. She is able to lift/press 50 tons (under optimal conditions).
- Superhuman Durability: The tissues of her body are considerably harder and more resistant to physical injury than those of an ordinary human. Ms. Marvel is capable of withstanding high caliber bullets, great impact forces, falls from great heights, exposure to temperature and pressure extremes, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining any injury. While channeling the energy she has absorbed, her body's resilience is extended to an even greater degree.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Her reflexes are heightened in a similar manner and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Carol's musculature produces considerably fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than an ordinary human. She is capable of channeling absorbed energy to further increase her stamina to higher levels.
Flight: Carol is capable of propelling herself through the air and the vacuum of space at tremendous speeds. Although her top speed is unknown, she flew at three times the speed of sound for several hours, so it is likely she can go much faster.
- Contaminant Immunity: Carol possesses an amalgamated human/alien Kree physiology that granted her a degree of immunity to toxins and poisons.
- Photonic Blasts: Carol can fire powerful concussion blasts of photon and stellar light energy from her hands and fingertips. Ms. Marvel can potentially discharge her energy from the eyes as well.
- Regenerative Healing: The absorbed energy increases the potency of her metabolism, allowing her to quickly regenerate from catastrophic wounds.
- Energy Manipulation: Ms. Marvel can control, absorb, and manipulate various types of energy to be discharged however she sees fit.
- Energy Absorption: Her body is capable of absorbing various types of energy for the purpose of temporarily enhancing her own physical attributes. She can augment her strength and energy projection up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon.
- Energy-Construct Creation: Carol has used her energy powers in more creative ways, She can even shape her stored energy into more practical shapes, like razor blades of pure energy to slice and sear with.
- Genius-level intellect/Skilled tactician/Leader Carol easily excelled at advanced high school level math and sciences on Earth, even boasting to Monica Rambeau of knowing Calculus by the age of 4.Carol also has to carefully calculate how much force to use in her powers so she doesn't hurt/destroy someone/something. Carol can inspire people to be the best that they can be and sometimes even convince criminals to do the right thing without resorting to violence.
- Expert Pilot: Carol is an accomplished pilot.
- Skilled engineer: Carol has displayed familiarity with both airplanes and Kree technology.
- Experienced Spy: Carol is an experienced spy, having worked various undercover operations for Air Force Intelligence.
- Multilingual: Carol is fluent in English and Russian.
- Master Combatant: She is extensively trained in armed and unarmed combat through military combatives.
She is able to lift/press 50 tons.
- Solar energy overload: If Carol absorbs too much solar energy, it will act as a poison to her system and kill her, as seen with her late Earth-H counterpart.
- Power-dampening tech: Just like with any other alien and meta-human, Carol's powers can be dampened by technology specifically designed to weaken her powers.
- Kree Weaponry: Carol is immune to mostly all Earthly world weaponry such as swords, bullets, and missiles. However once she encounters heat rays from Kree tech and Kree steel, she can be harmed by it.
- Ms. Marvel Suit: Carol wears a protective suit as her super-heroine alter-ego, Ms. Marvel, to hide her identity from her enemies when out fighting crime. It was designed by her friend, Monica Rambeau. While it is unknown what materials the suit is made from, it is just as durable as Carol, having only been pierced by Kree alien technology. Carol notably is able to change into her suit in seconds with her speed, usually keeping it underneath her civilian clothing.
- F-15C Eagle: During her tenure as a pilot within the United States Air Force, Danvers flew her own F-15C Eagle.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Her interactions with Captain Marvel suggest he has romantic feelings for her, and it is possible she may return them.
- Appearances of Carol Danvers (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Carol Danvers (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Carol Danvers (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References