Azazel's history is mostly the same as his Earth-616 counterpart, with only one core difference: he was never a demon, rather, he discovered very early on that he was an External (an immortal mutant subspecies who happened to also be cursed with a demonic appearance). His mutation manifested in the time of the contemporary Hebrew people, and as such he was seen as one of the mythical "fallen angels" who came to Earth to procreate with human women. Though this was purely a myth conjured by the normal humans to justify him as a demon, Azazel didn't care. In time, though, he decided that if people wanted to see him as the Devil, then he would act like it, and he began participating in sacrilegious ceremonies in service of darkness, leading him to be idolized as the true fallen angel Azazel, a name which he took as his own. Azazel began demanding human sacrifices and offered wealth in exchange for power, which he never gave, instead coming up with perfect excuses to deceive the cultists. His wealth and influence grew significantly as people fueled their need to worship a cunning demon and ask him for revenge, wealth and power.
This was Azazel's life until he happened to meet Nathaniel Essex in Victorian England, and he revealed to Azazel the truth of his (External) visage and powers. Essex then took Azazel on as his disciple, giving him an appetite for science and more scientific mind games to play on mankind. Already a non-believer in God, Azazel became a complete atheist who believed that God and the Devil were nothing more than scapegoats humanity created to praise when times were good and scorn when times were bad. Instead, he saw reality as purely cold and logical, devoid of faith or true religion, fueled by mankind's impulses alone.
The centuries passed, and he met the mutant shape-shifter Mystique, whom he decided to play his wicked mind games on, destroying what little faith she had remaining. He seduced her, conceiving a child in the chapel of Castel do Baron Wagner, a child who would grow up to become Nightcrawler, the exact opposite of his father. When Kurt recently came to know his biological father, he was immediately disgusted, and the two fought hard, with Kurt winning only by forcing his father to flee.
Recently, Azazel was invited to be the new Black Rook of the Hellfire Club, and he accepted, in part because Mystique was the Black Queen, and in part because he envisioned many new chances to be able to play with humans and destroy their faith.
Powers and Abilities
- Corporeal possession / domination of minds
- Hyper-accelerated healing factor
- Teleport psychically across inter-dimensional distances
- Bursts of negative energy (they "burn the victim's soul," but in reality it is the same type of damage as Psylocke's telepathic dagger, i.e. purely psychic damage)
- Manipulation of Organic and Inorganic Matter
- Disintegration of Organic and Inorganic Matter
- Super Agility
- Super Speed
- Super Reflexes
- Prehensile Tail
- Ability to mentally control Firedancers, reptiles that inhabit the sulfur dimension
- Fluent in all Earth languages
- Owner of immense material wealth accumulated over the centuries
- Great knowledge of the Occult and Demonology
- Master in sword handling
- Great knowledge about the mutated physiology and genetics acquired with Mister Sinister.