|Property of Uncanny X-Factor|
This article is the property of Uncanny X-Factor. Comments and feedback are encouraged. If you want to use something from this page, please ask before taking it.
- Relax, amigo. I'm not a mutant. I was bitten by a radioactive elephant, which gave me grey skin and stretching powers.
- -- Angelo Espinosa (as Elephant Steve)
- -- Angelo Espinosa (as Elephant Steve)
Born in the barrio of Los Angeles, Angelo had an overbearing mother, who begged him never to join a gang. He complied, and did his best to simply blend in to the LA scene. Unfortunately, that led to him joining a gang alongside his girlfriend Tores . It became increasingly difficult for Angelo to hide this from his mother, but (un)fortunately, Angelo and Tores were caught in a drive-by. During this, Angelo's powers manifested, lodging the bullets in his skin. A fiery crash ensued, and when Angelo woke up, his loosening skin had smothered the flames. But as he retracted it, the fire spread to him and the only other surviving gang member. When he tried to make a move, the car exploded, killing him. Angelo soon fled, and since he'd lose his wallet near the body, he was declared legally dead.
A few months after becoming an aimless drifter, he found his city under attack by Ultron and his team of enforcers Heavy Metal. Seeing that no one was challenging the team, he scared a costume shop owner away and cobbled together an outfit. He was brave enough to directly engage Ultron in combat as Elephant Steve, even when the West Coast Avengers arrived. He directed them towards Heavy Metal while he kept Ultron restrained. Even though he was badly injured, and Ultron nearly exposed his cover, he continued to fight. Eventually, Heavy Metal was defeated and Ultron escaped. The Avengers took him in to tend to his injuries, but Angelo managed to escape Avengers HQ before they could determine his identity.
Powers and Abilities
Extended Dermis: Angelo's mutation grants him six to ten feet of extra skin covering his body. He is capable of manipulating this extra skin in any way possible, like stretching or bending it beyond typical human limits, for example.
- Stretching: Skin could stretch his limbs to some extent since the bones and muscles could move under his skin, allowing his limbs to extend several times in length.
- Shapeshifting: By loosening or compressing his skin in various places on his body, he could change his physical appearance. He couldn't take another person's identity, but he could change the color of his skin, as well as his height, taking a variety of alterations to his physical form.
- Enhanced Resistance: Skin's dermis was more resistant to puncture or cutting injuries as well as rough impacts. The exact durability remains untested.
|Power Grid |
Angelo was fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Incomplete Control of his Physical Form: Skin could only manipulate his extra skin. His muscle, bones, and organs still stayed the same no matter what he did to his skin, and so he truly could only manipulate his skin, nothing else.
- Concentration: Skin has to stay focused in order to keep his skin in place. If he loses focus, his skin becomes loose and sags. Because of this, Skin often complains that he has trouble finding his face because it shifts along with the rest of his skin. His skin also loses cohesion every time he sleeps.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Angelo Espinosa is the Earth-166 counterpart of Angelo Espinosa, also known as "Skin", as well as Elephant Steve.
- This amalgam was made when noting the connection between Elephant Steve and Ultron in comparison to Skin and the Phalanx, and the fact that Ultron was once part Phalanx. It also made sense to connect the faked elephant-based origin of Skin with the fact that Elephant Steve was really an elephant. As such, Angelo started out as the vigilante Elephant Steve before becoming Skin alongside Generation X.
- Angelo was openly bi-curious, having showed interest in or flirted with Penance, Jubilee, and Chamber.
- Skin never learned about his secondary mutation, but it was hinted at when Synch synched with him (among others) and developed osteokinesis.
- ↑ OHOTMR #3
- Angelo's favorite movie is the Hunchback of Notre Dame. He identified with the disfigurement of the main character. He later characterized watching the movie alongside the team as the "best night of my life."
- Sometimes, in public, Angelo would suck his skin into a hump on his back and mimic the physical structure of the Hunchback to appear slightly more normal.
- Emma was going to recruit Angelo for the Hellions, but never got to. He tried on a uniform once, but after remembering his mother and his promise to never join a gang, he dismissed the notion.
- Appearances of Angelo Espinosa (Earth-166)
- Character Gallery: Angelo Espinosa (Earth-166)
- Quotations by Angelo Espinosa (Earth-166)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References