- Nuthin'. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn.
- -- Captain America to the Red Skull regarding what made her so special.
- -- Captain America to the Red Skull regarding what made her so special.
Born on July 22nd, 1919, Amanda Evans grew up in one of the poorer districts of Brooklyn with her immigrant father, Franklin, and mother, Sarah. As a child, Amanda was frequently bullied by the boys that lived in her area due to her gender and frailty. However, she stayed determined and always continued to excel in her grades and developed a unique interest in art and writing.
During the start of World War II, Amanda, desiring to serve her country, tried many times to enlist in the Army, but was rejected due to her frailty.
Abraham Erskine, inventor of a formula which could turn the human body into peak physical perfection, offered her a chance to enlist by recruiting her into Project: Rebirth. After being given the formula, Amanda's body evolved to the peak of physical perfection, combined with amazing strength, speed, and agility.
However, the notes and research were destroyed and Erskine was killed by a Nazi sympathizer who had been present. Amanda chased him down, but was unable to prevent the sympathizer from committing suicide.
Becoming Captain America
Erskine's death made the government reluctant to risk their only super-soldier, especially due to the fact that they would face harsh criticism if they knew their only hope was a woman, and thus, decided that Amanda travel abroad for the Allies, performing in propaganda shows to bolster confidence in the soldiers as Sargent America.
However, during a performance in France, Amanda learned that a large group of Allied troops were being held prisoner in a base in Italy just north of her current location. Disobeying orders, Amanda, accompanied by a small battalion of American troops, ventured deep into enemy territory to rescue the Allies. It was there that she ran into who would become her arch-enemy; Johann Schmidt, aka the Red Skull.
After narrowly escaping and returning back to France, Amanda was chided by her superiors for her actions. However, inventor Howard Stark, whom also aided in Project: Rebirth, vouched for Amanda, stating that if it weren't for her, the captured troopers would have surely been murdered by the Nazis.
It was this act that allowed Amanda to be enlisted full-time in the military, as well as changing her rank from Sargent to Captain. Thus, she was given the name and uniform of Captain America. She was also given a new, rounder shield made out of the indestructible metal vibranium in order to replace her damaged and nearly destroyed lead shield.
Throughout the war, Amanda, as Captain America, would face the Red Skull repeatedly, as well as face a secondary arch-enemy; Baron Helmut Zemo, a Nazi warlord who secretly plotted to overturn the Red Skull.
Suspended Out of Time
In 1945, near the end of World War II, Captain America was sent to stop the Red Skull from launching a string of prototype nuclear weapons at the United States.
However, while fighting the Skull atop the rocket headed for New York City, Amanda managed to disable the rocket's propulsion system, hurling herself and the Red Skull into the icy waters of the Arctic below. They were both frozen in ice and left in suspended animation.
Amanda would remain frozen for 70 years. Howard Stark and Amanda's old friend, Peggy Carter, would launch a search for Amanda's body, but nothing turned out.
With the apparent death of Captain America, the government decided to construct a statue of her on Liberty Island, right next to the Statue of Liberty.
Several other women, and even men, would try and take on the mantle of Captain America throughout the 1950s and '60s, this time fighting against communism, but none of them had the impact that Amanda Evans, the original Captain America, had.
Resurrection and Joining the Avengers
When the Avengers (Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Ant-Man, and Hulk) traveled to the Arctic Circle regarding detection of a nuclear bomb, the team instead discovered Amanda stuck in suspended animation. Aboard the Avengers' Quinjet, Ant-Man and the Hulk thawed her out, only to have to fight her due to Amanda's confusion. However, the Wasp calmed her down by showing her the memorial statue of her next to the Statue of Liberty.
Amanda was then taken back to Avengers Mansion to provide shelter. However, the team was then called away to a situation in downtown New York. The Avengers met their enemy, Iron Man's old enemy Titanium Man, but are unexpectedly defeated. Edwin Jarvis, the caretaker of Avengers Mansion, encouraged Amanda to go and aid the Avengers, despite her reluctance. Amanda goes out via motorcycle and meets Titanium Man head-on. The Avengers soon came to and aid Amanda in battle. The six heroes then forced Titanium Man to flee after he takes a severe beating from the combined might of Captain America's shield, Iron Man's repulsor rays, and Hulk's blows. Afterwards, Amanda was invited to join the Avengers full-time, a role she gladly accepted.
Amanda, as Cap, would go on to face such threats as Baron Zemo and his Masters of Evil, the Lava Men, and the Hulk's arch-enemy, the Leader.
Adjusting to the 21st Century
Despite being surrounded by her five allies in the Avengers when in combat, Amanda initially had a difficult time adjusting to the ways of the 21st century. The world was new, strange, and foreign to her. She spent most of her time at her current home at Avengers Mansion, only talking with her teammates and the Mansion's caretaker, Edwin Jarvis.
Soon after, Amanda tried to see what was hip about the modern era and bought herself a cell phone. Tony Stark then quickly helped her figure out how to operate it.
Amanda then began to make friends with other people she met in New York, namely Sam Wilson, a former flight-suit tester and future Avenger, Falcon. Amanda and Sam's relationship grew from best friends to temporary lovers. Their relationship ended when Amanda's duty with the Avengers cut into it way too much, but they still remained as good friends.
The Spandex Variety
When Amanda decided to explore the modern New York City as Captain America, she encountered the costumed crimefighter known as Spider-Man. Captain America and Spider-Man quickly became friends, due to Amanda being able to empathize with Tim's awkwardness and occasional shyness, something she experienced after she was awoken by the Avengers. Afterwards, Amanda met and briefly fought the blind African-American super hero Daredevil (Matt Murdock), thinking that he was a super villain. However, like with Spider-Man, Amanda made close friends with the Man Without Fear, due to their similar goals and desires to bring down corruption (Amanda with the Red Skull and Daredevil with the Kingpin). Captain America then made friends with the occasional outlaw Wolverine, a part-time member of the X-Men. Amanda and Leonard became friends and started the link of information between the Avengers and the X-Men. Afterwards, Amanda personally approached the mutant Maximoff twins, Wanda and Pietro, secretly the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and former members of Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and asked them to join the Avengers, a role that Quicksilver was reluctant to join, but Scarlet Witch eagerly accepted. Amanda then began trying to recruit other super heroes into the Avengers, such as her close friends Spider-Man, who was turned down due to Tony Stark's initial distrust in the hero, and Daredevil, who turned down her offer due to his desire to protect Hell's Kitchen, as well as other rising super heroes, such as the misunderstood, outlaw archer Hawkeye.
Return of the Red Skull
When the Avengers went on a mission in northern Germany to stop the new H.Y.D.R.A. from launching a plasma/nuclear weapon at the surrounding populace, Amanda discovered that the mastermind behind the reconstructed H.Y.D.R.A. was actually the Red Skull. But before Captain America could catch him, the Skull escaped. Investigating the Skull's sudden reemergence in the world, Cap discovers that he survived in frozen suspended animation just like herself. Captain America then dedicates herself to ridding the world of the threat of the Red Skull, once and for all, even if the Skull must die.
Encounter with Venom
When Spider-Man's rejected symbiote costume bonded with Eddie Brock and created Venom, the half-human beast began targeting the wall crawler's friends and loved ones. Captain America, one of Spider-Man's closest allies, and Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man's former lover, were the first to be attacked. Venom infiltrated Avengers Mansion and kidnapped Cap and the Witch while they were alone, and brought them to the same church tower where Spider-Man had first rejected the symbiote. Later, after Venom had captured enough hostages, the others being Daredevil and Liz Allan, Venom lured Spider-Man to their location and battled the wall-crawler. In the midst of the fight, the hostages were freed and Venom was defeated. Cap and the Scarlet Witch were then subsequently returned to Avengers Mansion by Spider-Man.
Acts of Vengeance
Marvel Universe Secret Wars
Marvel Multiverse Secret Wars
Restoration of the Universe, Civil War, and Death
To be added...
Powers and Abilities
- The Super-Soldier Serum (SSS) metabolized and permanently enhanced all of Evans' bodily functions to beyond the peak of human potential. Dr. Reinstein described this potential as being "the next step in human evolution," while still remaining completely human but often called the "Perfect Human." The secret of the SSS formula was lost upon Dr. Erskine's death. Nick Fury's intel classified her as power level 8.
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology: Evans has no superhuman powers, although as a result of the Super-Soldier Serum, she was transformed from a frail young woman into a "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. Evans is as intelligent, strong, fast, agile, and durable as possible for a human being to be without being considered superhuman. The SSS is definite, even if she chose to live an unhealthy lifestyle, none of her abilities would weaken.
- Enhanced Strength: Evans' physical strength is enhanced to the very peak of human potential. Captain America had been seen bench pressing 544 kg/1,200 lbs on each side of the bar, which is consistent with her strength level, as benching is easier than military press lifting. This strength also extends to her legs, enabling her to leap 6m/20ft out in a single bound and 10ft/3m into the air without a running start. She can snap steel handcuffs and chains, and is capable of breaking through wooden walls and steel doors with a single kick.
- Enhanced Speed: She can run at speeds of up to a mile in a minute (60 mph).
- Enhanced Durability: Her bones and muscles are denser and harder and so are amplified to the highest human potential, making him very durable. She is durable enough to the point that if a person beats her with a metal bat stick, the bat would break and Evans would show little discomfort. This is how she survived other forms of extensive punishment throughout her career such as falls from several stories like when she landed on a car from 2000 feet with no injury.
- Enhanced Agility: Her agility is greater than that of an Olympic gold medalist. She can coordinate her body with balance, flexibility, and dexterity.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Evans' reflexes border on superhuman level. Her reaction speed is 20 kph, which makes it possible for her to dodge gunfire even in point blank range from multiple gunners at the same time.
- Enhanced Stamina: Evans' body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in her muscles, granting him exceptional endurance and lung capacity. She can exert herself at peak capacity for a hour without any rest and before showing any signs of fatigue.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Evans' healing speed and efficiency is at the highest limits of human potential, which means she can heal faster than most humans. The white blood cells (WBCs) and the SSS in her body are efficient enough to fight off any microbe, foreign body and others from her body keeping him healthy and immune to all infections, diseases and disorders, also Evans cannot become intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, or impurities in the air and is immune to terrestrial diseases. She is also immune to hypnosis or gases that could limit her focus. She is genetically perfect.
- Enhanced Mental Processing: Her mental performance operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible, and able to processes the world in the most advance and efficient manner. She possesses perfect pattern solving/recognition, limitless information storage/retrieval, perfect perception/observational skills, and logical/philosophical structuring. Her mind also process information quickly, she has an accelerated learning aptitude, and can quickly analyze multiple, limitless information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations, eidetic memory (she never forgets anything and has perfect instant recall), she can read at superhuman speeds, has perfect deductive/reasoning skills, and can intuitively understand what's going to happen and how to deal with it. This enables her to remember any military tactic and apply it to any situation, making her the best tactician in history.
- Enhanced Senses: Evans' senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch are at the highest possible limits of human potential. She once said that he is able to dodge bullets because she sees faster than them.
- Advanced Longevity: The SSS halts Evans' aging due to perfect cells. Sersi stated she will indefinitely maintain her youth.
Master Tactician and Strategist: Evans is an accomplished strategist. She had been widely considered one of, if not the greatest, tacticians on the planet, both on and off the battlefield. She is able to formulate battle strategies and her brilliant tactical sense allows her to alter any strategy to fit the changing need of the situation.
Master Martial Artist: She is an expert in hand-to-hand combat being very skilled in multiple martial arts through his training in military combatives and instruction under various private instructors (she may have learned most of his initial knowledge from WW2 trainers such William Fairbairn and Rex Applegate who pioneered most the methods utilized in that period). Evans utilizes boxing, judo and various other disciplines with her gymnastics ability creating a style that suits his strengths and enables her to use her knowledge to the best of his ability. She is considered one of the finest martial artists on Earth.
Master Shield Fighter: Her years of training and experience with her unique shield, as well as its physical properties, allow her to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, she is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim. Evans can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet, and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing her to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from.
Advanced Military Operator: She is well-versed in all armed force disciplines including intelligence gathering, escape arts, assassination, demolition, survival tactics, hunting, swimming, mountaineering, march/drill skills, map making and reading, decoding cipher and other secret code messages, reading and making wood craft signs and other secret code languages, disguising, interrogation, computers, explosives, communication systems, vehicles and electronic appliances used in armed forces.
Master Acrobat: Her years of training and experience have made her an expert acrobat, gymnast, and aerialist. She often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes.
Indomitable Will: Evans is a very strong-willed person. She is able to overcome most forms of temptation and resist the effects of extreme pain, drugs and toxins to a great extent. Evans accepts her own mortality, and refuses to rob any sapient being of their freedom. During the Secret Wars, she destroyed the source of the Beyonder's power, the Eternal Crystal, determining that it was too dangerous to exist in spite of the many benefits of it's power. Evans is also capable of resisting all forms of mind control; only the strongest willed individuals have a chance of enslaving her. The only villain she was ever shown to be genuinely terrified of was the alien symbiote Venom when he he held her hostage in order to lure Spider-Man into battle.
Professional Sketch Artist: She has great artistic skill which she developed from childhood. Evans often worked as a freelance illustrator and sketch artist even loaning his skills to the NYPD for a time. She even once designed a costume for Spider-Man during a time when his red and blue costume was destroyed in battle against Electro. She enjoys drawing and does so with her free time.
Expert Marksman: She can throw most projectile weaponry with great aim and is well-versed in the use of firearms, though she prefers not to use them.
Expert Swordsman: Amanda is proficient with swords and staffs, but is more comfortable with her shield.
Weapons Proficiency: She does not typically utilize weapons other than her shield, but in desperate situations she wields additional weapons to ensure victory. She is proficient in wielding swords, daggers, throwing knifes, staffs, sticks, tonfa, axes, maces and even firearms.
Multilingual: Evans is fluent in English, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, at least some French, and some Italian. She might be lingual in other languages.
Expert Vehicular Driver: She is proficient in driving cars, motorcycles, trucks, jets, tankers, helicopters, motorboats, submarines, and some types of trains and utility vehicles.
- She has been known to overhead press 800 lbs, but had also bench-pressed 1,200 lbs and curled 500 lbs. She is cited as having the strength of 10 men and had herself once stated that she has the strength of half a platoon of fighting men (around 10). The average human is capable of lifting his or her own body weight, around 180 lbs, so Captain America potentially could be able to lift ten times that weight. She had been referenced at least twice as having preternatural strength, but it seems to say that 1,200 pounds is her limit; however, that is still beyond that of an ordinary human.
- Classification in handbook bios reference Amanda as peak human. She is often referenced as being a "Super Human", "Super Woman", and even being "beyond human".
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Amanda's last name is a homage to Chris Evans, the actor who portrays Captain America in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Appearances of Amanda Evans (Earth-38723)
- Character Gallery: Amanda Evans (Earth-38723)
- Quotations by Amanda Evans (Earth-38723)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References