Thomas was born in Sicily to Vincent and Maria Scaletta. He was born into wealth because his father was the Don of the Scaletta crime family. Because of constant wars between the Scalettas and other Sicilian families, causing the death of Thomas' brother Henry, Vincent was forced to move his organization and family to New York. The six-year-old Tommy enjoyed his home in Brooklyn and over the years, he was privately tutored in various subjects that included hand-to-hand combat and speaking fluent English. Tommy never fully understood why his family was so fortunate, so one day he asked his father about it.
Vincent allowed the boy to accompany him to the execution of an enemy Don. This event horrified Tommy and he ran away. He managed to survive on the streets for a few days until his father’s men found him. They took Tommy to Vincent and left them to talk. Vincent told his son that he would end the killings and that they would now respectfully earn their money. Tommy then hugged his father as he had regained respect for him.
Death of a Family
On Thomas' seventeenth birthday, he asked his father if he could participate in the family business. Vincent was proud of his son, so he took him to a meeting with his ally, Don Norman Osborn of the Osborn Family. While, the two heads of the families were discussing money matters, Thomas socialized with, Norman's adult son, Harold. Harry told Tommy how he hated his life and that he disapproved of his father's career, but he couldn't persuade him to stop. Harry had been forced to be at Norman's side. Tommy told Harry that this was his first day working alongside his father and he was proud. Then Harry started to talk about the darker sides of an organized crime family. Thomas was disgusted at what he heard and he thought Harry was lying. Thomas punched him and a fight broke out between the two, with Harry gaining the upper hand.
All of a sudden, the sound of a gunshot roared from inside the meeting room. Tommy took out his switchblade and he slashed Harry's cheek. He fell over allowing Thomas enough time to escape, so he rushed into the room and witnessed his father lying on the floor in a puddle of blood. Thomas ran to his fallen father who told him that Osborn had betrayed them. One of Osborn's men grabbed Tommy and put him in a bear hug. Young Thomas was forced to watch as Norman put a bullet in his father's head. Osborn then unloaded the rest of his clip in Vincent's corpse. Thomas was splattered with his father's blood, but he didn't try to run away. He remained still as he watched as Norman leave the scene of the murder. The Osborn Made Man forced Thomas to his knees and placed a pistol to the back of his head.
Tommy was saved by his uncle Alfredo who was carrying a Winchester shotgun. Alfredo grabbed his nephew and carried him to his limo. More of Osborn's men came so Al had his driver take Tommy to the family compound. While the car was leaving, Tommy saw Alfredo and his other uncle being gunned down.
He got to the compound, but it was on fire. The Osborns had attacked again. Tommy was still immobile so Alfredo's driver ran to the house to save Maria. After a few minutes, Tommy saw them in the doorway and they were running toward the car. They drove away and were being escorted by a member of their trustworthy ally, the Parker Family. But soon afterwards the car exploded and flipped over. A bomb had been placed under the front bumper of the car while at the family compound. Alfredo's driver was instantly killed, but since Maria and Tommy were in the back, they managed to survive. Shrapnel from the car was lodged into both the backseat passengers. The Parker Made Men got out of their car to pick up the wounded Maria and Tommy.
They arrived at the hospital and surgeons rushed to save the dying pair. Maria could not be saved as she had already lost to much blood at the scene of the accident. After hours of surgery, doctors managed to save Thomas' life. When Tommy was well enough a few days later, he asked his bodyguards from the Parker Family to take him to their Don.
The New Don
Tommy informed Don Peter Parker about how the betrayal started and how his family was killed one by one. Tommy told Don Parker about his plan of revenge. Don Parker suggested that Tommy first rebuild the Scaletta Family so that he could have enough men to take out the Osborns. Tommy preferred this new tactic and was ready for the challenges to come. Tommy was about to leave but Don Parker stopped him. He told him that the only thing he would do to help would be to give Tommy money so that he could hire some new recruits. Don Parker then gave his blessing to his new ally, Don Thomas Scaletta.
Tommy knew he would have to recruit people with weapons training. He hired a bouncer named Joseph "Crusher" Hogan and then he ignored the code of the mafia by hiring James "Nova" Walker, an ex-police officer. Tommy's next recruit was Francis "The Punisher" Castiglione, a veteran from a war that occurred ten years ago. His last recruit was a betrayed assassin from the Osborn Family named Billy "The Beau" Russo. Tommy informed them of his situation and they knew his ploy for revenge was worthwhile because they all hated Don Norman Osborn. Tommy bought an abandoned warehouse to act as his temporary compound. He bought a lot of equipment to help him train with his associates. Each member of the new family had several unique skills and tactics to teach to Tommy to prepare him for the downfall of the Osborn Family. During the course of several months, Tommy was now ready for battle. However, during these months the Osborns managed to take complete control over New York City, by exterminating nearly all of the other Families. Harry had also become a full-time member in his father's mafia. Now Thomas was not seeking redemption for the Scalettas, but for the families that had been destroyed by the Osborn reign.
The Fall of the Kings
Thomas prepared his men and recruited a few new members. Among these recruits were Puerto Rican gangsters: Juan, Ricardo, and Elijah Rios. They all had knowledge in firearms and combat, so Thomas told them his plan of attack. Norman controlled the Northern parts of New York, while Harry had power over the rest. The weakest and least prepared for an attack would by Harry. Therefore, while all the recruits would attack Harry, Thomas and his made men would bring down Norman. With this plan, there was no way that the Osborns could escape their fate.
This plan was not so simple, as Thomas had a rat in his family. He tipped off the Osborns and Norman sent all of his security to Harry. The Rios gangsters and Thomas' other recruits were massacred as soon as they arrived at Harry's compound. Thomas did not know of any of this while on his way to Norman's compound. Once they arrived, the bodies of Thomas' recruits were hanging out front. Thomas readied his men and they went in guns blazing. Tom ran straight in and killed the first two guards. His made men protected him while he made his way to Osborn. Harry appeared with a Tommy Gun and he tried to shoot Thomas. Francis hit Harry in the arm with a switchblade followed by several bullets. Norman came out from a doorway and shot Frank in the head. Tom ran up to Harry and slit his throat with the knife. He threw his body off the staircase. Walker had been shot and his way to the second floor and he saw Osborn kill Frank. He stayed back to protect his boss.
Hogan had been killed by Osborn's capo, but Hogan managed to return the favor. Russo stayed with Tommy and protected him. Russo pushed him down the staircase and was hit in the face with a bottle by Osborn. It shattered on impact, disfiguring parts of Billy's face. Norman prepared to kill him and then Walker stabbed Osborn in the leg. Osborn killed Walker and Thomas disappeared. Osborn walked downstairs and looked for Thomas. Then he heard something, looked up, saw Tommy leaping off the staircase, and then his knife plunged into his neck.
As Thomas stood up, a bullet flew past him and slit his throat. He fell, as his neck was gushing blood. Then he saw his attacker, Don Parker. He was the one who sold him out and allowed his team’s execution. He was Osborn's ally from the beginning. It was his idea to get rid of Vincent. Tom tried to fight back, but was shot in the stomach. He fell to his knees and awaited death.
A gunshot was heard and Peter fell to the ground. Russo limped towards them, holding his bleeding face, and shot Parker again. He knelt down besides his boss and knew what was going to happen to him. Thomas had already lost a lot of blood and he was near-death. He named Billy his successor and told him to make sure the Scaletta family lived on as the most powerful crime syndicate. Then Thomas died and was buried by the newly appointed Don.
Under Don William "Jigsaw" Russo, the Scaletta Family rose up the ranks to become the leader in organized crime and the most feared mob family ever to exist.
Herald of Proteus
Main article: World's Collide
A shift in the fabric of reality, returned to the moment as Thomas lay dying in Billy's arms. A figure Proteus stood behind in the shadows and watched the events transpire. Thomas couldn't help but stare, thinking it was death coming for him. A shadowy arm stretched out towards Thomas who also extended his arm. Proteus grabbed hold of his hand and pulled him through reality by his side. As Thomas passed through, his arms began to become coated in a silver substance that eventually covered his entire body. As the Silver Surfer, Thomas was now a servant to Proteus. He stood by his master's side and watched as his home reality was destroyed.
Powers and Abilities
The Power Cosmic: The Silver Surfer possesses the Power Cosmic which is the core from which his other abilities manifest from. This power was granted to him by Proteus, making him one of the most powerful beings in the Universe.
- Matter Manipulation and Reconfiguration / Energy Emission and Absorption: The Surfer has complete control of the four fundamental forces of the universe, reaching nearly any effect he desires. As a result, the Surfer can rearrange matter to create other configurations and can even transmute elements. The Surfer can channel beams of energy through his hands with sufficient destructive force to destroy planets. Additional abilities include erecting force fields, phasing through solid matter, accelerating the evolution of lifeforms on a planet-wide scale, seeing the past by peeling back the layers of time, time travel, trans dimensional travel, manipulation and discharging of any form of energy or radiation, bestowing limited cosmic powers to others, reading minds and influencing human emotion and sensation. The Surfer also possesses the ability to suppress the powers of other mutants/beings making them temporarily or permanently out of use to them. He can heal living beings even if they are near-death. He cannot, however, raise the dead.
- Godlike Strength: The Surfer possesses almost limitless superhuman strength, though the exact magnitude remains vague. He can lift (press) far in excess of 100 tons effortlessly and can also use the Power Cosmic to increase his strength to incalculable levels.
- Invulnerability: The Silver Surfer's silvery "skin" was designed to easily withstand the rigors of deep-space travel, and thus far, it has proven to be virtually indestructible. In fact, his entire body was made highly resistant to injury and he is thus invulnerable to almost all types of physical harm. The Silver Surfer can easily withstand the crushing pressures of a black hole. He is not bothered by the friction associated with atmospheric re-entry, and has withstood plunges into stars and even supernovas unharmed. He also routinely weathers the stresses associated with high-speed travel through space and hyperspace.
- Godlike Stamina: The Surfer's highly enhanced musculature generates no fatigue toxins, nor body stress, or even sweat, granting him inexhaustible physical stamina, which allows him to fight other beings for prolonged periods of time before tiring, that is if he even gets tired.
- Hyperspace Travel: By exceeding 99% of the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), the Silver Surfer can shift himself into hyperspace, a dimension in which velocity is not limited by the speed of light.
- Cosmic Senses: The Silver Surfer has certain cosmic-energy enhanced perceptions which enable him through concentration to become aware of the patterns of energy anywhere in the world. These abilities allow him far-ranging vision (in space he can see people clearly over a light year away), the ability to see sub-atomic particles, superhuman hearing, the ability to detect fields, traces, and concentrations of energy and discern their natures.
- Cosmic Self-Sustenance: The Silver Surfer does not need to eat or breathe since he absorbs life-maintaining cosmic energy directly through his skin.
Peak Human Conditioning: Thomas possesses the peak athletic strength and endurance of a teenage boy who regularly engages in intensive physical exercise. His strength, speed, stamina, and coordination are at near-peak human perfection. His healing and recovery speed is also remarkable, suggesting he possesses a very fast metabolism.
- Peak Human Strength: He possesses great, though not unnatural, physical strength for a boy his age. He is capable of lifting at least 250 lbs.
- Peak Human Speed: He has run at speeds greater than the finest competing athletes.
- Peak Human Endurance: Thomas can exert himself at peak capacity for nearly an hour without rest before showing any signs of fatigue. His lung capacity is so great that he is capable of holding his breath underwater for nearly 4 minutes.
Expert Combatant: He is a highly accomplished athlete and hand-to-hand combatant. He has also shown skill as an acrobat and dancer when impersonating his targets.
Expert Marksman: He is an excellent sharpshooter who always carries at least one handgun. He has proven capable of hitting highly nimble athletes in mid-air.
Master Assassin: He is a master of assassination techniques and is highly skilled with a number of weapons.
Criminal Mastermind: Thomas is arguably the greatest and youngest criminal strategist and organizer in Brooklyn.
Torture Master: Thomas has mastery of both physical and psychological torture, which he often uses either to extract information, or simply to torment his enemies. He has been shown using a variety of crude, sharp-edged weapons, as well as the use of everyday objects including kitchen knives, steel pipes, and electricity cords, which he slowly drips with water causing mild electric shocks.
Bilingual: Thomas can fluently speak his native language and English.
The Silver Surfer possesses vast superhuman strength. He can lift (press) well over 100 tons.
Equipment: Cosmic Surfboard: When flying, the Silver Surfer uses a construct which resembles an earthly surfboard. This "board" is made with the same silvery material (The Galactic Glaze) that composes the Surfer's body, thus making the board almost indestructible. Few forces aside from the power cosmic itself can affect it, and if it is somehow damaged, the Surfer can easily repair it in an instant. The board is psionically linked with the Surfer's mind in some unknown fashion, and it follows his commands instantly. It apparently taps cosmic energy in much the same fashion as the Surfer himself, and although the Surfer could theoretically use the power cosmic to fly without his board, the construct enables him to do so without expending any of his own energy. The Surfer generally limits his speed to Mach 10 (ten times the speed of sound) within the outer layers of a planet's atmosphere, can attain 99.99% the speed of light in regular space, and can travel literally thousands of times lightspeed in hyperspace. The Silver Surfer is also able to trap living matter into his Surf board for extended periods of time, or even destroy living matter within the board itself.
Transportation: Cosmic surfboard
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- Thomas speaks English without an accent.
- Appearances of Thomas Scaletta (Earth-2406)
- Character Gallery: Thomas Scaletta (Earth-2406)
- Quotations by Thomas Scaletta (Earth-2406)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References