Steven Jericho was an abusive drunk, as well as secretly a serial killer, who always beat his wife Dinah and son Isaac. Dinah couldn’t take it so she began taking heroin. One day when she was so high, she mistook her son’s arm for her own, injecting him with the drug. From that day on, Isaac became a heroin addict. His father’s beatings became more frequent and his mother turned violent as well due to the years of physical and drug abuse. His only happiness came from his girlfriend, Sherry.
She knew about his parents, but Isaac kept his addiction hidden from her until she discovered he was attending rehab. As soon as he finished it, Sherry gave him a gift, a necklace with a piece of a golden medallion hanging from it. He happily accepted the gift from her and the two became closer. A few weeks later Sherry did not attend school and Isaac became worried when she didn’t respond to his text messages.
When he arrived home, Isaac was greeted by the usual screaming, but with a different tone and consistency. It was familiar but not from his parents. Isaac’s mom was sitting on the couch though too strung out to answer his questions or notice what was occurring. The screams were coming from the basement and a chill crawled up Isaac’s spine when he realized it Sherry. Her hands and feet were bound as she was being cut with a knife and touched by exposed wires. Without hesitation, Isaac leapt on his father and began choking him. His father freed himself and smashed an empty beer bottle over Isaac’s head. Bleeding profusely, he managed to stay conscious and then kick his dad in the crotch. Isaac then picked up the knife and stabbed his dad in the shoulder.
He picked up Sherry and walked up the basement stairs. She was crying and pushing Isaac away from her, but he continued to hold her tightly. They exited the house and Isaac drove to the emergency room where they were both treated. As soon as Sherry met him once more, she said that she never wanted to see him again. Isaac pleaded with her but she would not listen to him. Isaac had nowhere else to turn and was forced to return to his home. He walked in depressed and again saw his mom passed out. He quickly stole her drugs and needles and stuffed them in his pocket.
After injecting himself, Isaac cautiously made his way down to the basement, but stopped when he saw Sherry’s dried blood on the stairs. Isaac’s gaze was interrupted by the sound of a gunshot from inside the house. He returned to the living room to find his mom dead. Isaac ran next to her and held her body in his arms until he was drenched in blood. From the shadows, his father appeared with a revolver in hand pointed at Isaac. Both the Jericho men had anger in their eyes, willing to kill the other. The fragment of medallion around Isaac’s neck, now covered in innocent blood, began to radiate a bizarre glow.
Isaac’s dad did not take notice as he shot his son in chest. Isaac hunched over as if dead, but moments later sat back up still staring at the murderer. He began to unload the rest of his ammunition into Isaac, who did not remove his gaze off his father for one second. The door behind Isaac’s dad opened to reveal a teenage boy, named Dominic, who heard the shots and came to investigate. Behind Isaac stood a man watching the scene, not noticed by anyone other than the boy. Dominic ran past the Jericho’s as if to confront the man and Isaac stood, grabbing his father by the throat. He yelled out that Vengeance would be his, and then the Jericho home exploded in a burst of flames.
The Spirit of Vengeance with the medallion unleashed itself and combined with the one hidden deep within Dominic, causing the two boys to merge together. As one body, Isaac was in control though he was being guided by the Spirits of Vengeance. The man who watched, Legion, attacked the new being only to vanish moments later. As soon as Vengeance repaired his skull, he continued on his path to find Sherry. Once outside the rubble of the destroyed Jericho home, Vengeance was confronted by a group calling themselves the Outsiders. They came to help the family, but once seeing Vengeance, they figured he was the cause of the destruction.
Kid Wolf lunged forward at Vengeance slashing open his stomach, causing a lava-like substance to flow out. It burned the fur off Kid's hands and Vengeance then elbowed him away. He took out his chain and wrapped the young hero in it. While it was infusing with hellfire, Speedy stole the chain from Vengeance's hands. He freed his ally and then began taunting the Spirit. Vengeance began erupting hellfire from various parts of the ground, each time narrowly missing Speedy. Now knowing he had flame-based powers, Speedy proceeded to remove the oxygen from the area. He achieved this by running around Vengeance, creating a tunnel around him, dousing his flame. Vengeance could not hit Speedy and he fell to one knee. Then he opened a hellfire portal beneath his feet, falling through to safety.
Speedy stopped, bewildered, and looked around for Vengeance. He turned his head and saw a fist heading his way from out of nowhere. As everything slowed, he managed to duck and see another fist flying towards him. As he avoided the hits, hellfire portals opened all around him. A chain came from one portal and wrapped around his neck. It quickly pulled tighter, suffocating Speedy, causing his vision to blur. Kid Wolf reeled in the chain, but it seemed to have no end. Speedy could not vibrate his molecules through the mystical chain and his body soon became limp.
As Vengeance began pulling on the chain, safely in his dimension, he was jumped on by Dominic. He let go of the chain and turned towards his counter part. Dominic reached inside Vengeance and pulled Isaac's soul away from the Spirit. Isaac didn't understand what happened or how the teen could have taken his power. The Spirit then lashed out to Dominic and transformed him into Ghost Rider. Armed with a scythe he slashed the air, opening a new portal, and returned to the battle site. Isaac sat in the dimension, angered and eager to regain the Spirit of Vengeance soon to exact his revenge.
Powers and Abilities
In human form, Isaac does not possesses any super-human power. As Vengeance, Jericho possesses a variety of supernatural powers.
- Demonic Transformation: Isaac Jericho possesses the supernatural ability to transform into Vengeance at will. The power of Vengeance depends on who is on control of the body. Isaac, Dominic and the spirit inhabit the same body, and while transformed Isaac is in control for the majority of the time, but if he looses focus or control the power of the Ghost Rider, Dominic, regaining control is likely to occur. While the Ghost Rider is in control, Isaac only influences his decisions to an extent as he takes the "back seat" to the spirit as described.
- Superhuman Strength: Vengeance possesses superhuman strength sufficient to lift up to 25 tons.
- Superhuman Stamina: The mystical energy that empowers Vengeance prevents his muscles from producing fatigue toxins during physical activities, granting him limitless superhuman stamina.
- Superhuman Durability: Isaac Jericho is highly resistant to the point of being basically immune to all types of earthly physical damage. Vengeance is capable of withstanding great impact forces, temperature and pressure extremes, powerful energy blasts, and falls from great heights without sustaining injury. As his bodily tissues have been transformed, leaving only a skeleton, most projectiles such as bullets simply pass through him or bounce off his bones. Vengeance's body is for all intents immune to physical injury, as he is evidently not able to feel pain and is able to survive with no apparent discomfort no matter how severe the injury.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his invulnerability to conventional forms of injury, objects such as weapons forged in hell by Mephisto, can actually harm Vengeance to a certain extent. However, if his being is damaged, the magical energies imbuing him allows the Vengeance to instantly regenerate any and all damage done, even to the point of fully regenerating lost limbs in moments, and regenerating his skull after it was destroyed in seconds without any discomfort or any evident pain.
- Hellfire Manipulation: Vengeance possesses the ability to generate, control, and project mystical fire, or "hellfire" at will. Hellfire is an emphyreal and supernatural flame that burns the soul of a person and can be used to burn their physical body. He can utilize this fire in various ways, including projecting it from his eyes, hands, mouth, or even channel it from his body to his form walls of hellfire and hellfire portals. He can also unleash the hellfire in omni-directional attacks that are incredibly powerful.
- Mystical Chain Projection: Vengeance wields a mystical chain that is capable of growing in length, cutting through almost anything, and transforming into other weapons.
- Penance Stare: Vengeance possesses the supernatural ability to cause any individual who stares into his eyes to see and feel every bit of pain they have ever inflicted on anyone in their entire lifetime for all eternity.
Isaac is a formidable combatant as a result of his powers, though he has no formal training.
As the Vengeance, Jericho possesses sufficient superhuman strength to lift up to 25 tons.
Penance stare can't effect victims if they are blind, on drugs, or have no soul. Using the penance stare on anyone who is blind, on drugs, or have no soul will render him unconsious or in a death-like state. The same thing happens if he uses the penance stare on someone or something with more than two eyes. The penance stare also seems to have little effect on those who are mentally unstable.
Equipment: None known.
- Hellfire Portals: Grant Vengeance the ability of teleportation through a pocket dimension of Mephisto’s realm. His portals can transport things or people to another area by way of passing through the pocket dimension and coming out in another portal. Vengeance can also teleport himself or extend parts of his own body over various distances as defined by his portals. He has the ability to suspended these portals in mid-air.
Weapons: Ghost Rider's Chain
- While Isaac is in control as Vengeance, Dominic resides in a pocket dimension of Mephisto's realm.
- Both regain their bodies and can walk the Earth when the Spirit of Vengeance remains inactive.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Isaac Jericho (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Isaac Jericho (Earth-616)
- Quotations by Isaac Jericho (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References